Member Support

• Advertisement
Banner Rettet den Regenwald e.V.

New Mexico Needs Some Help

Advocacy topics from around the world...

New Mexico State Parks Lakes

Unread postby aresnicke » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:57 pm

Good day, Seaplane Forum readers.

I am Alan Resnicke, an ASEL pilot/owner in New Mexico, and the Safety & Loss Control Coordinator for New Mexico State Parks Division (SPD).

SPD has been contacted by more than one seaplane pilot asking about landing and facilities at various New Mexico State Parks lakes. In fact, SPD has jurisdiction over the surface waters of all but three of New Mexico’s lakes spanning 1,000 surface acres or more, including the six largest lakes in the state; seventeen lakes in all.

Since I’m a (land) pilot, airplane owner (N325WV) and AOPA member myself, I’ve been asked by SPD senior management to provide correct and up-to-date information to your forum members to enhance their knowledge and safety, should they choose to visit a SPD lake, and to act as a liaison in case of any flying/pilot-related questions or concerns by your forum members. (Hint: Consider DA before coming to NM!) I hope that this brief introduction will allow us to begin a mutually beneficial relationship, ensuring current information and safety to your members, our boating public, and enjoyment of our New Mexico waters by all.

Jason Baker has graciously granted me membership in this forum and I will keep a weathered eye out for new posts. For the benefit and education of all forum members, I'll try to keep discussions here in the forum, but I can also be contacted directly, outside the forum, at alan.resnicke@state.nm.us or by calling me at 575.534.0155. You can also take a virtual tour of our various parks through the web at http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/PRD/.

Safe and enjoyable flying to all!
aresnicke

Re: New Mexico State Parks Lakes

Unread postby Paul S » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Welcome to our seaplane forum Alan!

I find it VERY encouraging to see a state agency taking such a proactive stance to promote a good working relationship with the seaplane community. And going directly to the pilots like you are doing here is great. So I look forward to learning more about New Mexico and access to its waters.

I happen to be the Chairman of EAA's Seaplane Base in Oshkosh Wisconsin (the largest seaplane gathering in the world), so if you have any handouts or information about NM seaplane flying you would like to get out to the seaplane community, I would be happy to distribute or post information at our event in July. And we'd be honored if you ever attend the show to stop by and see us. But be warned, being a pilot and an aircraft owner already, you just might get hooked on seaplanes ;)

Again, welcome to the group Alan.
Paul S

Unread postby aresnicke » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:41 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Paul.

Acutally, I experienced a seaplane flight from Anchorage's PALH several years ago. It was awesome! My wife took pictures of me grinning like a fool :D Of course, taking off and landing while in the copilot's seat of a 1958 Beaver was a big part of it. I also have USAF helicopter time - that's hard to top!

Right now, I don't have anything specific to offer seaplane pilots that might want to visit NM. I'll respond to specific questions/requests as they come in. I'm trying to make contact with another organization to update their directory... maybe that will give me an idea of what needs to be developed. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks for the excuse to visit Oshkosh! Wow... if I convince my boss to pony up the per diem for that trip... ;)

Safe and enjoyable flying!
Attachments
0259 Waay Cool.JPG
Grinnin' like a fool in a '58 Beaver seaplane!
aresnicke

Unread postby Paul S » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:26 pm

I'm glad to see you are already hooked. But come to Oshkosh and I'll get you in more than just one seaplane. In your position you really should experience a bunch of different seaplanes to make sure you understand seaplanes better. I'm sure your boss would understand. :roll:

And if you can't convince your boss to let you explain in person to the pilots at OSH about NM water flying :cry: , you've got until July to come up with something for us to hand out. It doesn't need to be anything fancy. It could be something so simple as a single page with bullet points and contact information. That way it could easily be printed out and pilots flying into NM could keep a copy right in their seaplane. And maybe Jason could start a new section here on the forum for water flying details for each state, starting with your info for New Mexico? That way anyone could get the information (many seaplane pilots are not members of the other association, so they have no access to their directory).

Geez, I'm making work for you before you've even had time to just enjoy hanging out with us. So just take some time to enjoy the forum and meet some of the other guys here. They're a great bunch!

(And Jason, what do you think about creating a new section here on the forum where information could be posted for each state by the members [kind of Wikipedia style] about open or closed waterways, special regulations, contact info, best places to visit for food, lodging, sightseeing, etc.? And maybe it could even tie into Google earth and/or become an app for smartphones and Ipads? Ok, ok, I know, I know... ya gott'a walk before you run :D I know you already have your hands full, but maybe we could encourage donations to help with the cost of setting this up? It could be a really cool feature tied to the forum...)
Paul S

Unread postby aresnicke » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:39 pm

Gotta love your enthusiasm, Paul! I've asked my management a bunch of questions that, once answered, will help me put something together for you/OSH. For my own understanding, let's talk generics... how much distance does a "typical" float require to get off the water and clear a 50' obstacle (lakes often seem to have trees around them)? Let's use C150 and C182 to define "typical," or maybe you can add another ac type. Once I understand some basic requirements, I can start putting some information into a handout or spreadsheet.

Safe and enjoyable flying to all!
aresnicke

Unread postby ZPilot » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks for introducing yourself!

I grew up in Farmington, and have been mildly curious if Navajo Lake was seaplane friendly.
ZPilot

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Hi Alan,

Let me add my personal welcome to the one already extended by Paul. I too am rather positively surprised to see any agency reach out to the seaplane community directly.

Regards,
Jason J. Baker (Owner/ Admin)
Integrity Is A Choice. It is consistently choosing the simplicity and purity of truth over popularity.
jjbaker
Founder/ Owner

Unread postby aresnicke » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi, ZPilot!

Farmington to seaplanes... that's quite a leap! :shock:

We're new at this, so I can't say that we're "seaplane friendly" just yet (especially since we're still working to understand what that is). The learning curve is pretty steep, especially for those that don't fly at all. That said, let me refer you to Navajo's website for more info - http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/PRD/navajo.htm. Additionally, we're asking that seaplanes get a Special Use Permit from the park they want to visit. Our concern is AIS and keeping our lakes and others free of invasive species, as well as notifying boaters to your company. Park managers can also answer specific questions about tie-ups, beaches, obstacles, typical winds, etc.

As I said, we're new at this, so if you're serious, please bear with us, and mention my name when you call the park. We'll make your visit as pleasant as we can.

Safe and enjoyable flying!
aresnicke

Unread postby aresnicke » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks, Jason.

Maybe we can make this work for everyone! Anyone looking to become seasonal snowbirds? Our non-mountain lakes are ice-free year around :)
aresnicke

Unread postby hindsbru » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:13 am

Welcome aboard Alan,

Looks like you've already made a splash here, however if there is anything I can do to help you please don't hesitate to call or write. As past president of the Washington Seaplane Pilots Association, I've seen many of the issues you may face from interaction with boats to Federal, State and Local groups all trying to be experts and take control, or senselessly limit access.
We've also dealt with the the folks that try to use the arguments of safety, noise and environment.

Thanks for taking a stand and showing a true interest. You can get your "float rating"(SES) in a weekend and it will be the best flying weekend you've ever had and open your eyes to a true new experience.
hindsbru

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:31 pm

Alan, let me add my welcome. I too am pleasantly surprised to see an agent of a branch of government actually reach out to the general aviation community. What a breath of fresh air. Thank you for making the effort.

I would highly suggest that you get a copy of J.J. Frey’s classic book How to Fly Floats. There are a few good books on float flying in print, and this is one of the best to start with. It gives a very good coverage of the basics of float flying and can provide you with some of the “generic” information you asked for.

It’s available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Fly-Floats-Ja ... 0911721711
Tim McCormack
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby aresnicke » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks, Bruce and Tim. I appreciate the offers and guidance. Let's hope this 'governmental foray' into your world benefits everyone!
aresnicke

Unread postby floats4me » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:43 pm

Welcome from me Alan.
Sounds like an awesome opportunity to work together.

Jo
Jo
"Political Correctness - The ideal that forces people through peer-pressure, to use certain words or act in a certain way as to not cause offense to certain people."
floats4me

New Mexico Needs Some Help

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:01 am

The New Mexico State Park Division (NM SPD) is proposing to prohibit seaplane (aircraft) operations in their parks. All of the water in the state suitable for seaplane operations is controlled by NM SPD, therefore this would effective eliminate seaplane operations in the state. Worse yet, to travel by float plane from the Mississippi river system to the west coast, one needs to be able to stop somewhere in New Mexico along the way. The only other way to get across the U.S. is using the Missouri River system in the northern U.S., which is not useable in the winter months.

Purposed Ruling >>> "19.5.2.26 SEAPLANES AND FLOATPLANES: The taxiing, landing or takeoff of seaplanes or floatplanes is prohibited in the state parks system."

The New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department, State Parks Division will hold a public hearing on proposed rule amendments at 6:30 p.m. on October 17, 2012 in Porter Hall (first floor), Wendell Chino Building, 1220 South Saint Francis Drive, Santa Fe, New Mexico. Please join SPA and our pilots to protect this vital area of seaplane accessible water.
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: New Mexico Needs Some Help

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:23 pm

While I am biting my tongue as hard as possible for now, here's the text from EMNRD:

NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING AND RULEMAKING
The New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department, State Parks Division will hold a public hearing on proposed rule amendments at 6:30 p.m. on October 17, 2012 in Porter Hall (first floor), Wendell Chino Building, 1220 South Saint Francis Drive, Santa Fe, New Mexico.

The New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department, State Parks Division is proposing changes to the following rules: 18.17.2 NMAC, Boating Operation And Safety; 18.17.3 NMAC, Construction Visitor Provisions; 19.5.1 NMAC, General Provisions; 19.5.2 NMAC, Park Visitor Provisions; 19.5.3 NMAC, Park Management And Development Plans; 19.5.5 NMAC, Concession Activities; 19.5.6 NMAC, Park Fees; and 19.5.7 NMAC, Filming In State Parks. Proposed changes to 18.17.2 NMAC include, among others, equipment on kayaks, canoes, paddleboards or rubber rafts. Proposed changes to 18.17.3 NMAC include having the State Parks Division collect fees directly for the permitting of community boat docks instead of the Interstate Streams Commission collecting the fees and transferring them to the State Parks Division. Proposed changes to 19.5.1 NMAC include, among others, the addition or amendment of definitions for off-highway motor vehicle, other power driven mobility device, vehicle, and wheelchair. Proposed changes to 19.5.2 NMAC include, among others, use of off-highway motor vehicles and golf cars by those with mobility disabilities, use of firearms and bows, and prohibitions on littering; as well as addition of new rules for, among others, rock collecting, and seaplanes and floatplanes. Proposed changes to 19.5.3 NMAC include the modification of park management and development plans. Proposed changes to 19.5.5 NMAC include, among others, concession contract provisions, outfitters and guides, and special requirements for the San Juan River located in Navajo Lake State Park. Proposed changes to 19.5.6 NMAC include, agreements containing conditions for use of meeting rooms and other facilities such as lodges and visitor centers, and the repeal of the fee for reservations. Proposed changes to 19.5.7 NMAC include activities not requiring a film permit and waiver of fees for individual student non-commercial projects.

Copies of the proposed rule changes are available from the New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department, State Parks Division, 1220 South Saint Francis Drive, Santa Fe, NM 87505, on its website, http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/PRD/, or http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/spd/, or by contacting April Alvarado at 505-476-3360, april.alvarado@state.nm.us.

All interested persons may participate in the hearing, and will be given an opportunity to submit relevant evidence, data, views, and arguments, orally or in writing.

Written comments and oral comments will be accepted at the public hearing on October 17, 2012 and written comments will be accepted until October 31, 2012 at 5:00PM by mail or e-mail. Please mail written comments to April Alvarado, EMNRD, State Parks Division, 1220 S. St. Francis Drive, Santa Fe, NM 87505 or submit them by e-mail to april.alvarado@state.nm.us.

Individuals with a disability requiring a reasonable accommodation such as a reader, assistive listening device, licensed Signed Language Interpreter, or any other auxiliary aid may request one by contacting April Alvarado at 505-476-3360 or at april.alvarado@state.nm.us at least two weeks prior to the hearing. Public documents can also be provided in various accessible formats.
Integrity Is A Choice. It is consistently choosing the simplicity and purity of truth over popularity.
jjbaker
Founder/ Owner

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:09 pm

The Proposed Rule may be found here:

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/SPD/docume ... 20NMAC.pdf
jjbaker
Founder/ Owner

Unread postby CFII » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:15 pm

the following letter submitted by me, may be used and/or paraphrased by others in favor of aircraft use on public waters:

Re: Allow use of Public Waters by Aircraft

Dear Ms Alvarado:

I have been given your name concerning my wishes to allow seaplane or floatplane use in New Mexico State Parks, so if you would forward my comments to the appropriate parties in all departments and inform me of their reply please.

Also please look at successful long term use of public waters in other states by seaplanes and floatplanes such as Waldo Lake in Oregon and Lake Isabelle in Wa state. Also please reference responsible aviation use of public resources nationwide per the Recreational Aviation Foundation at: http://theraf.org/ and seaplane use on public lands by the Washington Seaplane Pilots Association at: http://wa-spa.org/ and the Seaplane Pilots Association at: http://www.seaplanes.org/spa/ and also http://seaplaneforum.com .

Pilot use and overall impact on public waters and lands is low for many reasons plus, pilots are much more responsible than other users groups in proper control of litter, erosion and noise. Water landing aircraft DO NOT introduce hydrocarbon pollution into the water they occupy, in contrast to internal combustion engines of boats and jet skis, which are also constantly generating noise while staying on the waters for long periods of time. Water aircraft make a small amount of noise on takeoff for a short period of time and then are gone from the area. Almost no aircraft noise is generated while landing or taxiing.

Aircraft and boats have been co-users on countless bodies of water for many generations with no major problems, so both groups should be allowed to use public waters together.

These water landing sites are needed for safety reasons, as well as for equal oppurtunity recreational use not just by pilots who enjoy aviation but by people with disabilities that require aircraft access to these types of Landing Site Trailheads, both on water and on land.

Thank you for your attention in these important matters and we look forward to updates on the status of these issues.

Should you or any of the involved officers be in the Seattle area, please let me know and we will gladly provide for them a complimentary demonstration and flight-seeing tour featuring the safe use of the important national tool of Water capable Aircraft by an FAA licensed pilot and Certified Flight Instructor.

I am sure some of the local floatplane pilots in New Mexico will happily provide the same demonstration, too.

Sincerely,
CFII
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:47 pm

Merged for transparency. :(
jjbaker
Founder/ Owner

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:30 pm

Let me also welcome you Alan. Look forward to keeping up-to-date on the happenings there. Regards, Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:17 pm

Robert,

Mr. Resnicke joined us ~ sometime in March of 2012 ~ trying to help his superiors to come up with a plan to work with the seaplane industry and related associations on how New Mexico should deal with seaplanes. From what I understand, previous attempts to get certain advocacy groups involved had failed, yet Bruce Hinds offered all the help he could. I do not remember how New Mexico State officials found us, but they initiated contact with us.

My full outline of what exactly transpired with this is shared upstairs with the supporting members.

I have sent Mr. Resnicke an email request today (10/16/2012) asking him to respond to either me directly, or log in here on the forum, to help understand the swing from welcoming seaplanes in the State of New Mexico to a complete and lasting ban of all seaplane operations from all State controlled waters as now indicated by this proposed amendment to 19.5.2.26 NMAC.

I merged the two posts, so that members may see how exactly this all transpired and progressed.
As traditionally the case, no communication from any advocacy association has been received as of now - and I am waiting on a response from Mr. Resnicke.

Be that all as it may be, for now it seems as if SPA has issued a "Call to Action" and letters to NMSPD seem to be the only viable opportunity of impact for those who can't appear at the hearing in New Mexico due to the short notice of alert. Time is certainly of the essence for comments to be submitted... I plan to write one on formal letter head again.

I will send a PM Alert out to all of my members to get more support going. I would recommend not to point too many fingers at a much larger and much better represented group of boaters in any letters, nor would I try to display them as dangerous/ more dangerous or more or less causative to the issue of invasive species, noise, pollution or public safety concerns.

By sheer numbers, boaters in NM will likely end up with accommodations and sensible measures to reduce the states concern about invasive species while still allowing them access.

Seaplanes have operated alongside boats peacefully, neighborly and very safely for several decades.
Both groups have a joint and substantial common interest in retaining access to all jointly used water surfaces.

;)
jjbaker
Founder/ Owner

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:22 pm

Sorry about that. I was wondering where all those posts had come from and now I understand.

Ciao Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:29 pm

NOT your fault. I needed to get the two threads together, so that things stay transparent for everyone.
I would have not seen the "Call to Action" anytime soon and am interested in a positive outcome, so thanks for alerting this forum to this.
jjbaker
Founder/ Owner

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:33 am

Sent to all members 10/17/2012 @ 9:30AM

Dear Members:

The State of New Mexico (State Parks Division, SPD) is proposing to close all State Lakes to Seaplanes and Floatplanes.

This comes as a surprise, after State Parks Division had previously but apparently unsuccessfully sought contact to the seaplane community and several associations to address concerns and learn about seaplane operations.

Please Read: http://seaplaneforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2139 for background information.

Text of, and link to proposal:

19.5.2.26 SEAPLANES AND FLOATPLANES: The taxiing, landing or takeoff of seaplanes or floatplanes is prohibited in the state parks system. [19.5.2.26 NMAC - N, / /]

NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING AND RULEMAKING

The New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department, State Parks Division will hold a public hearing on proposed rule amendments at 6:30 p.m. on October 17, 2012 in Porter Hall (first floor), Wendell Chino Building, 1220 South Saint Francis Drive, Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Comments will be accepted until Oct. 31 2012 at 5PM, time is of the essence.

Written comments and oral comments will be accepted at the public hearing on October 17, 2012 and written comments will be accepted until October 31, 2012 at 5:00PM by mail or e-mail. Please mail written comments to April Alvarado, EMNRD, State Parks Division, 1220 S. St. Francis Drive, Santa Fe, NM 87505 or submit them by e-mail to april.alvarado@state.nm.us.

Seaplane Pilots Association has issued a "Call to Action" and its Executive Director is scheduled to speak at the hearing tonight. Our success will depend on our communities ability to rally for tactful and factual letters opposing the ban of seaplanes in New Mexico. Please send this to all your fellow pilots, contact your AOPA, EAA and RAF representatives.

The State Parks Division was invited to work with WSPA's Bruce Hinds which has been instrumental and highly effective in such matters and several members of our forum have welcomed and applauded the State Parks Division for proactively reaching out to seaplane pilots.

As was the case with C-SPA's Waldo Lake, I will submit an official letterhead comment, rally my members to support our efforts and continue to follow and report on this issue. New Mexico is strategically important for seaplane pilots from across our nation, having access means being able to plan flights safely without having to circumnavigate a whole state.

Please feel free to submit your letters and emails (cc: or bcc:) to: moderators.seaplaneforum@gmail.com or post them directly in the forum thread, so that others can learn and paraphrase good points to raise in their letters. We will not publish your name, address or other personal information.

Tips:

• Seaplane Pilots are certificated, highly trained, naturally concerned and proactively working to keep flying safe.
  • Seaplane Pilots are aware, trained and willing to work with State Agencies to prevent the spreading of invasive species.
  • Seaplane Pilots are involved in environmental/ cleanup efforts, help and assist with search and rescue and seaplanes are successfully integrated in natural disaster response.
  • Seaplane Pilots wish to retain equal opportunity in access to water bodies.
  • Seaplane Pilots are proactive about noise, pollution and have operated alongside and hand in hand with boats for several decades.

Please help with your letters and please continue to check in on the thread on the forum.

Thank you for your prompt attention and help in this matter!
jjbaker
Founder/ Owner

Unread postby TriPacer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:30 am

A naive question here, but should we all write our own letters or can we sign a petition of some sort to be sent to the NM Sate Parks Division?
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:43 am

Not a naive question.
Individual letters.

I am in the process of getting seaplaneadvocates.org back and we may have something in the future that can be used as a tool to streamline such things.
jjbaker
Founder/ Owner

Next

Return to Seaplane & General Aviation Advocacy & Regulatory Matters