Member Support

• Advertisement

Goodbye COPA membership

Advocacy topics from around the world...

Goodbye COPA membership

Unread postby BGH » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi All:

I posted here somewhere about my unhappiness with the way the Canadian Owners & Pilots Association had removed an elected director not just from the board, but it's membership as well. I sent my displeasure to both the president & the chair of the board. Seems that even though the bylaws state that to remove a member there must be either a special meeting,or a general meeting & a vote to remove the member, the copa board appears to have sought legal advice that they could just refund his dues & then remove him from the board because he wasn't a member. If you're not a member of copa you can't be a member of the board.
Not happy with the way that the director was removed, or the attitude of the chair of the board I asked for my membership to be suspended until I figured out what I wanted to do with a membership to an "Old Boy's Club". Turns out that they could halt their propaganda paper, but not the membership so with a full year left to my membership I asked for a refund - policy states that there is no refund (except for Ronan). Screw the money they owe me - it probably is going to be needed for the legal challenge(if ever anyone even cares), I asked them to cancel my membership as I am not happy with the way director Ronan was removed from his Ontario director's position.
I don't know Ronan & I am aware that he is supposed to have gone against the boards instructions, but I believe that he should have been removed per the bylaws - the excuse that it would have required a special meeting & cost the membership doesn't wash with me. If it was important enough to remove him; then it was important enough to do it properly.

Daryl Doherty
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Goodbye COPA membership

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:11 pm

Give em hell Daryl. Sounds like the same " Boy club " as AOPA and SPA

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:17 am

I'd like to join just so that I could quit, but I'd hate to give them the money that they wouldn't refund. :stink:
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby BGH » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:55 pm

Unfortunately, because I appear to be the only one that reacts this way - they will continue to do as they wish.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:39 pm

BGH wrote:Unfortunately, because I appear to be the only one that reacts this way - they will continue to do as they wish.

Daryl

You're not the only one reacting this way. Many of your Canadian friends are reacting the same way.
Accepting/ ignoring the 5000 pound elephant (something wrong) doesn't make the elephant (something wrong) disappear.

Silence still kills and there seems to be a "Code Of Silence" attached to non profit aviation associations, not only here in the United States.
Letting the issue drop helps them to accomplish the goal of successfully sitting the issue out. Grass will grow over it. Suddenly it's gone and never happened.

Ask me how I know. :evil:

Jason
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:17 am

Capture.JPG
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:28 am

Brother Daryl,

You have seen the emails and comments I have sent over the last couple weeks on this farce. The response from the press has been exactly as expected.
People are busy writing about China's growing General Aviation Market, Feelgood Aviation, One Dollar Gas and the never-ending romance and adventure of flight.

COPA can't be touched. Some sing the obligatory happy songs about AOPA's new leadership.
Most have got their head so deep inside [where the sun don't shine], they couldn't hear a bomb explode next to them.

You know the rest of my opinions on the games currently being played in the association circus, its a lost cause and a waste of time to deal with with it.
Vote with you wallet. Enjoy the flying and friendships that don't depend on your COPA, EAA, AOPA & other memberships.

Doug is well advised to walk the dog and enjoy the sights. Life is too short for shit like this.

:cheers: ;)
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby BGH » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:20 pm

Yet another giggle from copa, seems they finally got my copa papers back that I returned after finding out how the management team got rid of Ronan & even though they've acknowledged my request to cancel my membership & have in fact let me know that my wishes were carried out - they still asked me to update my address because my papers were returned. Great communications in that office.

:monkey:
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:03 am

Another (foreign) term for what you experienced is called:

Dummdreist. Translated: Stupid Uppity or Dumb-Brazen.

I remember being asked with childishly faked curiosity why I wasn't a member of some association.
Initially one doesn't immediately know how to respond. Its better not to.

Question: Did you get your membership fees refunded?
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby BGH » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:58 pm

jason you are so funny i sh** my pants laughing.

Exerpt from my request for a refund of unused portion of my membership dues(valid until dec 2014)

Concerning your membership, we do not have a refund policy for circumstances like this so I have asked the Executive for a decision. I ask that you read the articles and then let the Chair know if you have any further questions.

Take that as a NO Refund Policy.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:17 pm

BGH wrote:jason you are so funny i sh** my pants laughing.

Exerpt from my request for a refund of unused portion of my membership dues(valid until dec 2014)

Concerning your membership, we do not have a refund policy for circumstances like this so I have asked the Executive for a decision. I ask that you read the articles and then let the Chair know if you have any further questions.

Take that as a NO Refund Policy.

Daryl

"We do not have a refund policy for circumstances like this, so I have asked the Executive for a decision."

In other words...

"Unless you are a unwanted/ disagreeing member of our board of directors and the mafia commission decides you're gonna get your birdie shot out of the tree for stock dumb reasons, we won't give you your stupid money back. So why don't you read a newspaper and then talk to the chair you're sitting on. "

Bunch of Putzes!
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jjbaker » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:30 pm

Did you see this, Daryl?

Kawartha Lakes Flying Club (Lindsay) COPA Flight 101 minutes November 6, 2013

Guest speaker, and current Chairman of COPA, Paul Hayes was introduced and a brief description of his lengthy 60 year aviation career was given by Flavelle Barrett. ...
Kerstin Kelly, along with 5 outside, non club member visitors,... requested the opportunity to address our guest speaker on the subject of Doug Ronan’s dismissal as a COPA director. ...Paul Hayes had indicated to the Executive prior to the meeting that full details of this issue had been conveyed by Paul directly to all COPA members and he was not prepared to discuss this publicly any further, particularly in this open forum. From COPA’s perspective the issue is closed. Limited further discussion on this issue occurred followed by a motion by Bill Fry and seconded by Al Darling to adjourn the meeting at 21:19hrs. Carried.

Jim Baldwin- Sec.

Kerstin's reply to the club:

As a founding member of Copa 101, and a Silver Copa family member, at a COPA meeting, with the Chairman of COPA present, I believe it was a totally appropriate time to ask for information about a COPA issue affecting our COPA director. The question was asked politely and respectfully and was clearly a request for information and clarification of a topic our members have not understood. This was made exceedingly clear by the show of hands indicating that the vast majority of members present at the meeting were in Cavour of having the question asked and answered.

Why our elected local Director was thrown out and the method of his removal, should be of interest to members of this club and to all COPA members. If they are conscientious, moral and ethical, I would think they want to belong to an association that operates above board in a transparent, responsible and accountable manner. They should be willing and able to explain their actions and decisions to their members as well as clarify and answer any questions of its members. This is a free and democratic society and the organization should be based on democratic rules of conduct including free speech. COPA and our club must be based on the same values.

Rather than hear partial answers second and third hand, I wanted to hear what happened and why, directly from the parties involved. In my opinion, that would be the best way to learn the truth. If Paul Hayes did not want to answer the questions, he could have said so to me. He did appear to be starting to answer me before Flavelle Barrett, the COPA 101 President, rudely interrupted. Paul did not need to hide behind Flavelle. My question was clearly asking for Paul's side of the story. It should have been an easy one to answer for him, if there was no wrong doing on his part nor on the part of the COPA board.

I can assure you that COPA has not been seeming to be acting in good faith , nor in the members best interests. The fact that it refuses to answer any questions about the subject is further proof of the total mishandling of the issues and the slimy business practices it has apparently undertaken.

Paul Hayes, in all good conscience was morally and ethically obligated to answer my simple and direct question and, in no uncertain terms, did Flavelle have any right to prevent me from asking the question. He was 100 percent out of line and in complete conflict with his position as a President representing the rightful club members and their interests. His actions suggest that he acts as if thinks he owns the club and that we work for him. A president of a social club is elected there at the pleasure of its members and is responsible to its members and their interests. His behavior Wednesday night was in clear violation of those interests, and, if the executive of our club continues to act in such an autocratic manner, will surely doom our club to failure.

The executive of a club is not there to do all the thinking and decision making for the members and have meetings just to report ad nausem on those decisions and tell us what we need to do and how we need to think, behave and vote.

I strongly encourage each member to speak to Doug Ronan directly to ask him about his side of the situation as well as to ask COPA to explain their actions. I had suggested this to Flavelle and clearly he chose not to get himself informed or involved enough to get even the most basic of facts by talking to the characters involved in the situation.

Doug is really approachable and easy to talk to and is more than willing to discuss the facts. His number is 705-327-4730 and his email is doug@dougronan.com. He would welcome your call anytime. He is extremely informed about aviation in the country, about insurance matters, about the Toronto Island issues, and knows the parties involved personally. Don't be afraid to ask him to explain any of the issues you do not understand. Doug has been involved in Aviation his whole working life, is extremely connected, is bright and informed. He worked diligently to help save the Lindsay Airport, and was the one person who got us our COPA 101 status back. He has attended all our fly- ins and was the one who handed us our COPA 101 certificate and is in the center of our photo of that event. Doug is extremely passionate about aviation and is a great guy to know if you ever need help with anything. He does speak his mind if he believes there is an issue which is being mishandled and therefore not everyone loves him, which is something I can relate to. You may as well as look on the AVCANADA forum about Doug to get a bit of the COPA side of the issue, as they have been incredibly secretive and refuse to answer any of the emails, or questions asked by the members directly.

The minutes of the meeting resonate of having been dictated by Flavelle( I presume). All the guests were COPA members and potential club members and had been out numerous times to support saving the Airport. They are all well known in the aviation world. At anytime they would have been welcome members or guests of our club! Your description of them was totally rude, and uncalled for. The esteemed guests are from some powerful and influential circles and are well informed about COPA , the insurance industry , Toronto Island issues and know far more about what's going on than any of the members of our club. All were entirely polite, respectful, and entitled to be at a COPA event. I am disappointed that you would write about our guests in such a disrespectful manner.

Respectfully yours,

Please Note: Doug did not speak at the meeting, nor did he organize any guests, nor comments , questions or have anything to do with the above letter. Believe it or not, there are COPA members who pay attention, expect transparency of action and accountability of its leadership, and will speak up if they feel something smells.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby BGH » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:23 am

I've seen it & wonder why the club members didn't walk out in protest;or bring a motion to get rid of the "CLOWNS" trying to stiffle the discussion of a very important subject.

"very significant 60 years in aviation" I'm only 53 years old & have 53 years in aviation;15 as an experienced puker ; 32 as a pilot & over 30 as an aircraft owner.

copa will only notice the problem when their executive is ignored at public meetings & people hit them where their wallet lives by leaving their little boy's club.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:40 am

To me it looks as if sitting the problem out is the chosen way.

The King is not prepared to speak to the peasants, hence the peasants must shut up.

The stifling of discussions is really often the only way to prevent such peasant mutinies.

How fun would it be to be the fly on the wall at one of these esteemed board clown meetings... they must be slapping each other silly for allowing this shame to come out.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:19 am

Looks like there is at least some rejection to COPA's ongoing course:

January 21, 2014

To Kevin Psutka, CEO, and the Board of Directors of COPA:

After careful consideration the Ontario Seaplane Association - formerly
COPA Flight 110 - has decided to resign from the Canadian Owners and Pilots
Association. This decision was carefully arrived at after months of
deliberation over the undemocratic fashion that the COPA Board and Staff
removed Mr. Doug Ronan as one of the elected Directors for Southern Ontario
by a technicality of not renewing his COPA membership. After repeated
rejections of requests for a detailed explanation of why our elected
Director was unlawfully removed, we cannot support an organization that is
not accountable for its action to its members. Many letters were sent to
the editor of "COPA FLIGHT" expressing concerns or comments about this
issue - not one of these letters was printed or even acknowledged. Numerous
members sent emails - some repeatedly - to the COPA Chair, Paul Hayes,
asking for clarification of what happened. Mr. Hayes has also been
approached in person by several members. All of these questions and
letters were left unanswered and members were told simply to refer to the
superficial and vague statement in the "COPA FLIGHT" newspaper and the COPA
website regarding Mr. Ronan's untimely removal. The silence is deafening -
if Mr. Ronan had done something drastically wrong or harmed COPA in any
way, a Board of Directors responsive to its members would publically and
thoroughly justify their actions.

Mr. Ronan has dedicated his life to aviation and worked very diligently for
all COPA members for 7 years until denial of his membership renewal
application by COPA CEO, Kevin Psutka. From COPA's very brief explanation
of this action, it appears that Mr. Ronan's only offence was revisiting
some decisions made by the COPA Board - including himself. The two main
issues were:

1. COPA's "new" insurance program changing to a new broker/underwriter:
Through interaction with members, Mr. Ronan saw some disturbing problems
with the new program. When these concerns were brought to the COPA Board
and the staff, they were categorically dismissed and ignored. Most of his
concerns have come to fruition - including a premature change in the
underwriter of the program.

2. General Aviation at the Toronto City Center Airport: again through
interaction with the members and new information, Mr. Ronan saw some
disturbing problems with COPA's approach and "support" of the "General
Aviation" cause at TCCA. When these concerns were brought to the COPA
Board and the staff, they were also ignored. Doug Ronan's concerns have
come to fruition - including a new "Draft Plan" for the TCCA released on
December 13, 2013, which outlines that our sector of aviation is
"declining". It basically says there is no real need to accommodate any of
us at the TCCA. The "Draft Plan" also suggests that runway 15/33 be closed
because there is not enough "small" traffic to warrant its continued
maintenance. Mr. Ronan's concerns and predictions are coming true. COPA
has been spending thousands of dollars of members' dues fumbling around in
court for almost two years with very little chance of a productive outcome.
Instead of being proactively involved in the new "Draft Plan," COPA has
fostered a confrontational and unproductive atmosphere at the TCCA that has
virtually guaranteed the extinction of our sector of aviation at yet
another Toronto General Aviation Airport!

In conclusion, the Ontario Seaplane Association - formerly COPA Flight 110
- is disassociating itself from the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association
for the blatant unaccountability and repeated disregard for safeguarding
the "Aims and Objectives" of COPA and its members.

With regret,

Brian R. Wendt
Secretary, Ontario Seaplane Association

Less than stellar response from COPA. Looks like one can't walk away without some sort of insulting of intelligence thrown after them...

Brian:

Thank you for the clarification on the status of the Flight. Since this
issue is primarily a matter of the Board of Directors, I will limit my
comments to those regarding my involvement and my role at COPA. As an
employee and not a member of the Board, it would not be appropriate for me
to comment about matters of the Board. The Chair will respond on its behalf.

I want to ensure that you have both articles that were published that are
related to the dismissed Director. They are attached to this message. One
summarizes the reasons for the Board's carefully considered decision to
take action and the other explains the relationship between the Board and
the CEO and staff.

I am sad to see the group disassociate itself with COPA, whose strength is
in the number of members. The group's access to support from COPA HQ and
insurance coverage has ended but more important is the loss of solidarity.
You raised the situation at Billy Bishop airport as one of the issues and I
would like to point out that as a result of the decision to disassociate,
both COPA and the Ontario Seaplane Pilots Association will likely be less
effective at resolving seaplane issues there. Airport management can
discount anything we say by pointing to our relationship and then say "why
should we pay attention to either of you?"

Regarding the two main issues you raised:

1. Mr. Ronan's insurance issues were not ignored. On the contrary, when
specific cases were brought to COPA staff's attention we worked with our
new broker and they in turn with the new underwriter to, first of all, get
the other side of the story and then to make corrections. As with any new
program and relationship, there are growing pains, but when the big picture
is considered, in terms of number of policies, successful handling of
claims, substantial decline in complaints from members and ultimately
achieving acceptable loss ratios, the program is a success. COPA staff
continues to carefully consider all issues brought to our attention,
working with our broker to investigate, resolve and explain this to the
complainer and others if necessary. COPA staff explained to both Mr. Ronan
and to the Board the complete information surrounding the issues brought
forward by Mr. Ronan. I would like to point out that, in addition to staff
and broker working to address Mr. Ronan's concerns about the cases he
cited, Mr. Ronan was also provided the opportunity to work directly with
our broker to discuss and resolve his issues with our program.

Our aviation insurance program is successful and perceived to be valuable
to the point that COPA was approached by the largest underwriter in this
sector of the business to get involved. There were many positive reasons
for making the move, including access to the insurance experience of AOPA
(see our press release
http://www.magnesaviation.com/copa/en/D ... %20AIG.pdf)
and an explanation in support of the Board's decision to accept their
offer is provided here
http://www.magnesaviation.com/copa/en/D ... r%20QA.pdf.
The program was reviewed by the Board at a recent Board meeting and
their decision was to continue, including our relationship with the new
underwriter AIG.

2. The situation at Billy Bishop airport is not good for GA, especially
with Porter's expansion plan. After examining the issues, the Board decided
to support the Toronto Island Pilots Association (COPA Flight 32) to take a
legal approach since all non-legal efforts had failed to move airport
management to build, rather than discourage GA. The Board directed me to be
the point of contact for COPA on the issue, including dealing with airport
management and others, as well as to support TIPA's efforts. The Board has
reviewed the issue at each of their meetings and their direction to me
remains the same. The legal approach remains in place and will run its
course with our goal to impress upon airport management that GA has a
continuing role to play and indeed must be there, according to the
Tripartite agreement. Any interference or confusion by conflicting points
of view would not be in GA's best interest in resolving this matter. In
addition to legal pressure, I have maintained contact with management, most
recently resulting in a follow-up letter (see kp13085 attached) to a
discussion on the airport master plan. COIPA has been pushing for a plan
for several years and we are finally making progress. Now it is a matter of
influencing the words in the plan so that GA is accommodated to an
appropriate extent.

I urge your group to consider the need for a collective voice for our
sector of aviation and that you would reconsider the decision to
disassociate with COPA.

Kevin Psutka
President and CEO
Canadian Owners And Pilots Association

Sad to see that steps like this seem to be what it takes to make people aware of issues such as Mr. Ronan's discharge from the BOD.
Riding the high horse comes before the fall, but its almost always early enough to change course and peddle the other way rather than screwing it up beyond all recognition. I hope the right choices are made to avoid this from going to its painful conclusion.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:36 am

Looks like it at least finally resulted in a formal response. Maybe better discussions will come out of that.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:10 am

Yeah, looks like the formal response is to ratify a change of the bylaws.

:popcorn:

From Paul Hayes, Chair, COPA Board of Directors

A message from the secretary of a former COPA Flight was recently sent to the COPA Board but also distributed more widely. The message does not present an accurate picture of the reasons behind the Board’s decision to dismiss one of its Directors in 2013.

Kevin Psutka, President and CEO, responded (see below) with facts concerning COPA staff’s involvement in the issues cited by the former COPA Flight and your Board fully supports his presentation of the facts.

The following is my response that was sent to the secretary:

“I am responding to your letter to me and Kevin Psutka concerning the Ontario Seaplane Association's decision to disassociate from COPA.

I released a statement in the August 2013 newspaper providing details that could be publicly released. As some who have Board experience will appreciate, one of the key components of a successful Board is its ability to keep certain discussions within the Board, primarily to protect the Association and the individuals involved. This confidentiality also encourages free and open discussion within the Board. Consequently, I will not provide any more detail about the reasons for dismissing Mr. Ronan than what was provided in August 2013.

Another key component of a successful Board and consequently a successful Association is Board solidarity. Once a decision is made, Board members have a duty to uphold that decision. If a Board member continues to disagree, he/she has the option of leaving the Board but he/she does not have the option of working in the public contrary to the Board decision.

When Board members step away from the above key components of a successful Board, action must be taken to protect the Association. The decision was not taken lightly. The Board gave Mr. Ronan plenty of opportunity to provide details to back his position on our insurance program and the Board’s decision regarding support for GA at the Billy Bishop airport. When he finally responded, the Board found his explanation to be seriously lacking. The Board decided that it would be in the best interests of COPA’s members to ask Mr. Ronan to resign, and when he would not do so, the Board decided to dismiss Mr. Ronan rather than permit him to complete his term of office.

There have been concerns expressed about the method used to dismiss Mr. Ronan. The Board found that our bylaws did not adequately address this situation because, frankly, we did not anticipate that Board members would ever behave in the manner that Mr. Ronan did. The Board has agreed on an amendment to address this shortcoming but it could not be enacted until it is ratified at an Annual General Meeting. Following legal advice, the Board chose the only route available to them, which was to not renew Mr. Ronan’s COPA membership.”

You will find the revised bylaw and explanation on our web site. It is very important that every member takes the time to make sure your voice is heard when this comes before the AGM.

In the February and subsequent COPA Flight newspapers is an AGM announcement and proxy form. If you are not able to attend the AGM in Peterborough at 10:30 a.m. on 21 June 2014, please complete the proxy form to assign your vote to someone who will be there, scan and email to hmclaren@copanational.org , fax to 613-236-8646 or mail to COPA HQ at 71 Bank St, Ottawa, ON K1P 5N2. In order for your proxy to be valid, your membership should be current as of the date of the AGM, the proxy must contain your signature and COPA HQ must receive the proxy by 13 June so that it can be verified.

You can also find the AGM announcement and proxy form here. Your proxy will be employed for ratification of the bylaw amendment as well as the conduct of other AGM business as listed in the AGM announcement.

This is an important issue for the future of COPA. I urge everyone to exercise your proxy.

Paul Hayes

Chair, COPA Board of Directors

Change in Bylaws:

http://www.copanational.org/files/General_Operating_Bylaw_Amendment_2014.pdf
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:05 pm

He actually makes a lot of good and understandable points. Whether on boards that I have served or am serving now or in the corporate world for too many years to admit, I was always a believer that when a decision would come from a group, behind closed doors you fight like crazy for what you believe, but if out voted, you present a unified front or you resign. Looks like the Ontario group (though not part of the board vote) took that path, also their right.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:44 pm

Well, things have progressed a little bit and even though they look somewhat familiar, so here's a little news cast...
The removal of this director was apparently not in accordance with current bylaws - hence a quick change of the bylaws is being pushed.

D.R. is somewhat silenced and under threat of litigation.
At least one of the perpetrators (Hayes) has apparently resigned and vast threats of litigation are keeping things pretty much silent.
A emotional outbreak of one of COPA's own, instructing a rather vocal former member to "Join or STFU" remained unconfirmed by COPA representatives.
The public rant of said person officially does not exist, according to COPA Management. Classic "404 Page Not Found" response.

Interesting is that security has been dispatched for the AGM on Peterborough ON Airport (CYPQ) on Saturday, June 21, 2014 at 10:30 am . It is at this point unclear if altercations/ threats may have caused some people to be afraid to be confronted or if the security forces are there to squelch and remove members who are willing to bring Doug Ronan's removal from the BOD up. This is the first time I've seen the need for security at a supposedly membership driven organization.

This should be an interesting membership meeting. There has been online voting on certain director seats being made available, so far So. Ontario's 2,600 eligible members have cast 81 votes (3.11%) and Quebec's 5000 eligible members have cast 297 votes (5.91%). Hardly surprising will be that without votes from the membership, the BOD will represent members appointed from within.

Currently, the membership is asked to submit proxies.

Ceasing To Hold Office Original Rule

Original:5.07 Ceasing to Hold Office

A Director ceases to hold office when the Director dies, resigns, is removed from office by the Members in accordance with section 5.09, or no longer fulfils all of the qualifications to be a Director set out in section 5.03, as determined in the sole discretion of the Board. Where a person is no longer a Director, then such person shall be deemed to have also automatically resigned as an Officer and/or a committee member, as applicable, provided that the Board may in its discretion subsequently re-appoint such individual as an Officer or committee member if the Board deems it appropriate in the circumstances.

New Amended version:5.07 Ceasing to Hold Office

A Director ceases to hold office when the Director:
    a) dies
    b) resigns
    c) is removed from office by the Members in accordance with section 5.09
    d) no longer fulfills all of the qualifications to be a Director set out in section 5.03
    e) is absent from three consecutive Board meetings without reasonable cause
    f) is found to be in non-compliance with Disclosure of Interest as set out in section 5.12; or
    g) is found to be in non-compliance with Confidentiality as set out in section 5.13.

For 5.07 d) through g) inclusive, it is at the sole discretion of the Board of Directors by a two-thirds majority vote to determine whether or not a Board member should be removed. Where a person is no longer a Director, then such person shall be deemed to have also automatically resigned as an Officer and/or a committee member, as applicable, provided that the Board may in its discretion subsequently re-appoint such individual as an Officer or committee member if the Board deems it appropriate in the circumstances.

It is somewhat unclear if the Board Of Directors can "overturn" members votes to discharge members of the BOD by the provisions of the inclusive rule marked in red above. The issue of cancelling a members regular paid membership to remove them from being able to serve on the board they were elected to serve on, remains slightly unregulated as well, the bylaws seem not to be under modification to satisfyingly answer members questions for refunds in case of self-cancelled memberships. Its however safe to assume that you'll get a refund if your membership interferes with otherwise going doctrine and party line and you are in a position to make this known to other members.

Back to the news studio, rest assured, none of this is part of a April Fools joke.

:beer:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby hotspur666 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:40 am

D.R. is somewhat silenced and under threat of litigation.
At least one of the perpetrators (Hayes) has apparently resigned and vast threats of litigation are keeping things pretty much silent

Details there:

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 54&t=90179
Then maybe I can join...in June after the board meeting...who want to be under the thumb of an autocrat?
Security had to be called, eh?(Security...PC for Police?) Who said things aren't "interesting" in Canada?
hotspur666
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:30 am

Aren't they... I have a hard time imagining what must be going down when an association feels the need to have security on site for a lousy membership meeting.

Only two things are possible (1) someone has gotten threatened or (2) like Daryl mentioned, anyone bringing up the topic is going to get the "bum rush out the door" treatment. Initially I took this pretty serious as it is just so similar to other situations I've seen - now I'm mostly giggling about how on earth a paying membership of any association could be so completely in the dark to let something like this happen.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby BGH » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Sad to say of a once very good organization to belong to,but if you get shown the door at a copa convention
then they have done you a favour.Not worth wasting your time,or your money on.

Daryl
former member #1500860
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplane & General Aviation Advocacy & Regulatory Matters