Member Support

• Advertisement

CSPA URGENT Request To Take Action

Advocacy topics from around the world...

Re: CSPA URGENT Request To Take Action

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:41 pm

RKittine wrote:What is the plan Jason, once you get back to Germany?

I will be a Hula Hoop Instructor for senior citizens.
Other than that, I plan to eat lots of rubber balls and bounce around a lot.

Maybe I'll become a good son for a change. ;)
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:16 am

Please post Videos (of the Hula Hoop Instructing)
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:08 am

No such thing will be posted. ;)

I have asked Bill to kindly share with us what the outcome of this survey may be.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby btwainwright » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:12 pm

Forum folks, the response to the Schwatka Lake Survey was a success. Between all the associations and Forums that pitched in there was a outstanding showing considering the short notice on this subject. I have copied the response from the COPA rep in the Yukon and will also respond with the report on the meeting when I receive it

Bill W. CSPA V. P. :D

"Good day Bill, we attended the meeting last night. The survey showed an overwhelming percentage coming from float flyers, as a matter of fact, 302 surveys total were completed and 95% were from float flyers! 27% of the respondents were from outside of Whitehorse, that's probably all of the great work you and Tom George in Fairbanks, Ak did spreading the word around. "

"As for the meeting, our President Randy Shewen was present and will be writing a short resume which I will then forward to you as soon as I receive it."

"Thank you very much for your support Bill, it is very much appreciated,"

"Cheers, J-M "
btwainwright
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby CFII » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:17 am

Thanks again to those that took the small amount of time, well done. I just hope it's enough to ultimately outweigh the locals....
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:24 am

+1 to what Dave said.

Nice job, lots of feedback.

Thank you Bill for all the things you do for seaplanes and CSPA!
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby btwainwright » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:24 pm

The Schwatka Lake Report:
As promised by Jean-Michel Sauve, Director - COPA 106 Yukon Chapter, I have received a recap of the meeting and Survey that was conducted concerning the Schwatka Lake waterfront and its uses into the future, see attachment. The recap of the survey is very encouraging from the standpoint of support for floatplane uses. All who responded are to be thanked for their contribution of time to make the importance of this seaplane base very clear to the City of Whitehorse.

Bill Wainwright
CSPA Vice President
SPA Field Director for Oregon

Erica Beasley wrote, on November 4th :

“Hi Jean-Michel,

Thanks for speaking with me today and for sharing our project info with your association (and the Alaskan associations) regarding the Schwatka Lake planning process underway for the area’s west shore. As mentioned, there seems to be some mis-information circulating about the goals of the project…

The City of Whitehorse recognizes the importance of Schwatka Lake for float plane use (local and transient) and understands the transportation, economic, and recreational benefits that float planes bring to our city. Through the planning process, we are seeking to maintain the lake’s aviation function, while improving the management structure of the area and developing a long term vision (20+ years). These goals, as well as other project info, are listed on the project website: www.whitehorse.ca/schwatkalake

We are certainly interested to hear from local and Alaskan pilots about any challenges they have with using the west shore, and ideas/opportunities for improvements. The City is also aware of recreational interests expressed for the area (which include sailing and trail development) – we’re excited to provide the opportunity for different user-groups to come together to explore if such uses may be compatible with the aerodrome function of the lake.

If any of your members are interested to attend the Public and Stakeholder Workshop this Thursday, November 7th (Mount McIntyre Recreation Centre, 7 to 9pm) please have them send me an RSVP at erica.beasley@whitehorse.ca – this will allow us to coordinate enough staff and refreshments for the event. I would also be pleased to speak with anyone that is unable to attend, and can be contacted at 867-668-8600.

Thanks! I look forward to engaging with you and your association further as the process unfolds.

Erica Beasley

Planner II
Planning Services

City of Whitehorse
Phone: (867) 668-8600
www.whitehorse.ca

Jean-Michel wrote:
”Hi Bill, as promised, here is the survey results that was handed out at the meeting. Please share and thank you very much for your support. We will keep you updated as the process continues.

Schwatka Lake Meeting Handout.pdf
(909.66 KiB) Downloaded 196 times

Cheers, J-M

Jean-Michel Sauve
Director - COPA 106 Yukon Chapter
Whitehorse, YT
867-335-7889”
btwainwright
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:15 pm

Schwatka Lake Area Plan: Public Workshop (February 25th) and Comment Period

The City of Whitehorse and Urban Systems Ltd. are pleased to invite you to attend a Public and Stakeholder Workshop that will be held on Tuesday, February 25th from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Mount McIntyre Recreation Centre.

The intent of the workshop is to provide an opportunity to discuss planning options that have been developed for the west shore of Schwatka Lake. The options are based on input received through interviews, an online survey, and a public workshop that occurred in November 2013.

The planning options will be posted online on February 14th at http://www.whitehorse.ca/schwatkalake. Bring your comments to the meeting, or submit comments through the project website until March 4th. Public input will help the planning team to refine a final concept that will be included in the Schwatka Lake Area Plan.

If you wish to attend the meeting, please send an RSVP to erica.beasley@whitehorse.ca.

For further information contact Erica Beasley, Planner, at 668-8600.

Thank you for your interest and participation in the Schwatka Lake Area Plan process!
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Look forward to seeing what the Planning Options are. It of course mentions the survey, but not the outcome of the survey. Anyone know what is happening? Will check to see what is posted on the web tomorrow.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:20 pm

Bob,

This was an email I received in response to previous action during which I requested to be entered for progress- updates.
I am not sure if Bill Wainwright has had time to read up on anything yet, but assume that we will be informed by him if he sees need for further action.
Its all there and yes, the blue links work, even on this forum so people don't even have to click on the link posted above to get information......

Schwatka Lake Planning Process

The City of Whitehorse is pleased to announce that a policy review process has been initiated for the Schwatka Lake area. The consulting services of Urban Systems Ltd. have been commissioned to deliver a public consultation process that will:

• Assess the regulatory framework for aviation and marine uses on Schwatka Lake;
  • Generate recommendations for improved area-management;
  • Develop a long term vision for the lake and lands adjacent to the lake’s west shore;
  • Explore the potential for expanding aviation and marine uses; and
  • Potentially identify new land and recreational uses.

The process will result in an Area Plan for the lake’s west shore and potential revisions to the Schwatka Lake Waterfront Policy.

Public Input Opportunities: Comment Period and Public Meeting

The next public event will take place on February 25th from 7 to 9 pm at the Mount McIntyre Recreation Centre. The intent of the workshop is to provide an opportunity for lake users to discuss planning options that have been developed for the west shore. The planning options will be posted online on February 14th.

Bring your comments to the meeting or submit comments by email to erica.beasley@whitehorse.ca until March 4th. Public input will help the planning team to refine a final concept that will be included in the Schwatka Lake Area Plan.

You can help us to prepare for the February 25th event by sending an optional RSVP to erica.beasley@whitehorse.ca.

The first Public and Stakeholder Workshop was held on Thursday, November 7th 2013. To view a summary of the event, click here (includes results of the Online Survey).

Consultation Schedule

• August/September (2013): Background research and analysis
  • October: Stakeholder interviews and online public survey
  • November: Workshop for stakeholders, City staff, and interested members of the public to review and discuss alternatives
  • January (2014): Develop planning options for Schwatka Lake Area Plan
  • February: Public and Stakeholder Meeting to present planning options and online comment period.
  • March: Draft Area Plan and release for public comment
  • April: Consideration of Area Plan by City Council for adoption

Project Resources

Contact

For inquiries related to the review process contact Erica Beasley, Planner, at 867-668-8600 or erica.beasley@whitehorse.ca.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:13 am

Just in from COPA:

Dear friend aviators! You asked to be kept in the loop so here it is... I do understand that there are only 5 days left to make your voice heard and I apologize for sending you this document on such short notice. Attached is our submission to the City of Whitehorse in regards to the proposed Schwatka Lake Area Plan. You still have until September 1st to make your voice heard and submit your point of view.

If you were able to tap into your contacts, spread the document and have as many folks as possible fire an e-mail to the City of Whitehorse, it would be greatly appreciated but mostly, it will make a huge impact if aviators from all over North America send in their comments... If we are not aggressive towards this, we are in real danger of loosing our one and only float base in Whitehorse...thus shutting down the door for inland travels.

COPA Yukon Chapter 106 seeks your assistance with this matter once again,

Thank you kindly for taking a minute or two to reply to the City.

Cheers, J-M

Jean-Michel Sauve
Director, COPA Yukon Chapter 106
Whitehorse, YT
867-335-7889

Emails: mayorandcouncil@whitehorse.ca and erica.beasley@whitehorse.ca

Schwatka Lake Submission 2014.pdf
COPA Proposal Submission
(36.82 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

:headbang:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby CFII » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Done to both addresses, so easy and fast.
Thanks for setting up the response opportunity!
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:02 am

Update E-Mails from Jean:

Hello Everyone, just a quick update on the matter. It appears that the sailing club has realized that operating from the proximity of the float docs and landing path was not a safe nor enjoyable practice and it appears that they have agreed to move operation elsewhere.

It is also my understanding that the City of Whitehorse is receiving many emails/phone calls from worried transient pilots ....that is good press, thank you for doing so, it is much appreciated and the City has no choice but to hear everyone's concerns. But let me clear the air a bit, the docks are not in danger of dissapearing totally but there could be reduction and increase in fees which we want neither. Furthermore, we COPA 106 Yukon Chapter are advocating for more services for transient pilots and that is the message we want to send to the City of Whitehorse. We want secure docking space for short term and over night transient parking, services such as an FBO where a phone would be available, shelter, wifi, proper maintained washrooms and good fuel service.

Thank you kindly,

Cheers

and another one:

Folks, this is an email to me from one of our boar member, Christoph, who met with the City today. It appears that you guys are doing an amazing job spreading the word, please keep doing so, clearly YOU ARE making a difference and we very much appreciate it. We need all the support and political will we can get.

Cheers, J-M

From Christoph to J-M:

Today I had a long good meeting with city planning. It sounds like they finally understand the aviators concerns and seem willing to accommodate most of our needs.

It seems that some pilots or organizations outside the Yukon are concerned about a possible closure of Schwatka Lake for floatplanes. This is out of the question and in no way intended by the city.

For BC and AK flyers it would be important to ask for better services for transient floatplanes. More parking, fuel availability, public phone, maybe canpass facility, shelter, a few camp spots.

Our main focus is on keeping boaters and floatplanes separate for safety reason and the latest development seems to go in the right direction. At the beginning of the process all users wanted to be located on the west side. Over this summer many boaters and sailers realized that east side actually has better potential for their uses. The latest idea is to have the paddlers located near the current boat ramp at the southeast of Schwatka. The sailers would get a new access point at the northeast and the flyers would stay on the west side with additional dock spaces in the bay north of Alpine Aviation.

Still somewhat unclear is the location of a boat ramp for power boats. The current one gives some grief to Blacksheep but it is difficult to find a better location. So this is still somewhat in the open. Also the interest for the commercial lots at the north end is minimal and therefore unclear where this will go.

I once again made a point that floatplanes are the most vulnerable users since our equipment is in the water all season and exposed to the elements. While boaters can take their equipment out of the water every night. Therefore floatplanes need the most protected space which is the bay north and south of Alpine Aviation.

Since there were a lot of submission flooding into the city office there will be another draft plan before this goes to the city council.

Over all I left today's meeting with a positive feeling. However you never know if the politicians twist everything around again. We all have to stay tuned, it is too early to lay back and relax

Christoph
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby NimpoCub » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:07 pm

jjbaker wrote:Just a quick-check:

Topic cannot be located on SC.org
Topic cannot be located on BCP.org
Topic cannot be located on SPA's Forum
Topic cannot be located on any other forum currently on my "occasional" reading list.

I can't (lack of privilege) or won't feel very welcome if post to any of those..

JJ, I think you must've used some "east coast" search terms. :) I don't remember the topic titles, but I put it on SC.org, BCP.org, and emailed the 300 members of the BC Floatplane Ass'n.
JM Sauve said they got great support.

And, they never considered shutting down the floatplane & fuel docks, there's only two small docks near the fuel dock (near the dam) and the city's planners just wanted a long term plan, and to keep the floatplane traffic separated from the boaters. City CYA thing. :)

When tied to the two existing (private) docks, your wingtip is within feet of the road shoulder. Not real comfy!
Erica said they now realize the importance of transient parking/fueling & other thingies.
NimpoCub
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby CFII » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:50 am

This seaplane landing area seems to be safe for the time being.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:27 am

NimpoCub wrote:
jjbaker wrote:Just a quick-check:

Topic cannot be located on SC.org
Topic cannot be located on BCP.org
Topic cannot be located on SPA's Forum
Topic cannot be located on any other forum currently on my "occasional" reading list.

I can't (lack of privilege) or won't feel very welcome if post to any of those..

JJ, I think you must've used some "east coast" search terms. :) I don't remember the topic titles, but I put it on SC.org, BCP.org, and emailed the 300 members of the BC Floatplane Ass'n.

Nimpo, maybe you haven't "visited" this forum in a long time but you're responding to something I wrote almost a year ago.
When I wrote this, the topic wasn't on any of the named sites, otherwise I wouldn't have done it.

As to how advocacy topics are handled and communicated these days, I have installed emoticons on my website, using them saves typing a lot of words...

1. :friendsforever:

2. :stink:

3. :sheepish:

Seaplane Pilots ought to like that...
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby BGH » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:50 am

Logan was that you landing with the wind towards the public beach,very closely at Charlotte Lake in August?

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:04 pm

Whitehorse won't rest...

Email From COPA's Mr. Sauve

Good day everyone, we are dealing with yet another issue, quite a drastic one to say the least. Without any consultation or proper advisory, the Whitehorse airport authorities have decided to shut down the only cross wind runway we have, namely Runway 19. Runway 19 is vital to all commercial and private aviators for obvious safety reason. Please find attached the letter we have submitted to the Minister of Highways and Public works, the honorable Mr. Wade Istchenko.

Today, we heard from his office and a meeting was set up with the airport manager. Problem is that we requested to meet directly with the minister and the deputy minister simply because in the past, meeting with airport manager were futile.

I am asking that you take 3 minutes to read the letter and pass it on to anyone who uses or has the potential to use CYXY and write directly to the minister with any concerns you may have with the closure of Runway 19. We are doing this for everyone's safety.

Thank you once again for your generous support of this past few months, we have been dealing with couple high profile issues affecting every aviator based or passing through CYXY and your support has not gone unnoticed by the involved parties.

Here is Minister Istchenko's email address: wade.istchenko@gov.yk.ca

Ryw 19 closure COPA final draft.docx
(89.33 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

Cheers, J-M
Jean-Michel SauveDirector, COPA Yukon Chapter - Flight 106
867-335-7889
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby BGH » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:44 pm

CYXY RUNWAY 01/19 CLOSED AVAILABLE AS TAXIWAY WEST RUNWAY 14L/32R. 13 AUG 22:00 2014 UNTIL 13 NOV 22:00 2014 ESTIMATED. CREATED: 13 AUG 21:13 2014
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:59 am

Draft 2:

http://www.whitehorse.ca/index.aspx?page=598

Land Use Plan with changes in red since last edit:

http://www.whitehorse.ca/modules/showdo ... entid=5057

Schedule

• August – September (2013): Background research, case studies, stakeholder interviews
  • October: Online Survey #1: Lake Use and Vision
  • November 7: Public and Stakeholder Workshop #1: Assets and Challenges
  • February (2014): Online Survey #2: Planning Options
  • February 25: Public and Stakeholder Workshop #2: Planning Options
  • March – May: Develop Draft 1 of the Area Plan
  • May 21: Meeting with City Council and Senior Management (CASM) to review Draft 1
  • June 6: Release of Draft 1 and start of public comment period
  • June 26: Open house
  • September 1: End of public comment period
  • September - February (2015): Review of public input and revisions to Draft 1
  • February 16: Release of Draft 2 online
  • March 2: Submit Draft 2 to City Council for consideration
  • March 9: Potential adoption of Draft 2 by City Council
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:20 am

A lot to read, but pretty comprehensive.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Previous

Return to Seaplane & General Aviation Advocacy & Regulatory Matters