Member Support

• Advertisement
 photo NBAA-Banner_zps2dqnlcgt.jpg

Invasive species contamination and prevention video

Advocacy topics from around the world...

Invasive species contamination and prevention video

Unread postby Float Pilot » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:13 pm

Interesting video about invasive species contamination and prevention. Well since it is Govt' funded it is a little dull....

On a Lake like Beluga Lake in Homer, it really pays off to cycle your water rudders up and down a few times to shake off the long weeds that attach themselves. Also if you have been sitting idle for a few weeks you can blast off the algae and scum by doing a couple high speed splash and goes in your home base lake before flying off to a new lake.
The comment about landing in Salt water was made by a non-owner. I would love to use one of the hot- water spray systems they show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... uDZptFsQDk
Float Pilot
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Re: Invasive species contamination and prevention video

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:48 pm

Thanks for posting. Pretty well done video.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:32 pm

Now if you can just get every duck and goose to watch this video....
The digestive system of most birds do not kill these different invasive species discussed in this video. In many cases the birds digestive system has been proven to be more of an incubator.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Float Pilot » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:11 pm

That is how mother nature managed to get trees, plants and critters to even the most remote islands, thousands of years before man ever came along...
Float Pilot
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:12 am

This issue is a good case of where perception could become "reality". If people (like paddlers in particular) get the idea rolling that seaplanes are the cause of all the environmental woes like invasive species, we don't stand a chance of being able to fly into the remote lakes that we all love to go to. Our best defense is a good offense. We need to be proactive in making the perception that "we are ahead of this problem" dominant over the thought that we "ARE" the problem.The good people on the shaky coast(CSPA & WSPA) are ahead of the curve on this, as usual, and have done a great job getting this started.

I wonder where the SPA is?
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby Float Pilot » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:59 pm

You are correct that media / public perception has become a HUGE deal with all aspects of flying. And, as here in Alaska, it chokes or advances our economic life-blood. All based upon the video editing skills of somebody sitting in an office back in New York City...
Float Pilot
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby CFII » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:46 pm

Tim McCormack wrote:This issue is a good case of where perception could become "reality". If people (like paddlers in particular) get the idea rolling that seaplanes are the cause of all the environmental woes like invasive species, we don't stand a chance of being able to fly into the remote lakes that we all love to go to. Our best defense is a good offense. We need to be proactive in making the perception that "we are ahead of this problem" dominant over the thought that we "ARE" the problem.The good people on the shaky coast(CSPA & WSPA) are ahead of the curve on this, as usual, and have done a great job getting this started.

I wonder where the SPA is?

In the first minute the video says SPA teamed up with Govt. to make the video.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:56 pm

Tim,

Might be that the "Teamed up with the National Seaplane Pilots Association" threw you. Have to drop the National! :beer:

Maybe it would have been the NSPA if the National Scholastic Press Association had not taken that already.

And the SPA is mentioned at least once more in the body, though there is not a lot of logos etc. like on the other video that they recently released.

With Glenn's Cinematography and Editing ability, mabe the North East Contingent of the SeaplaneForum can make a video of Duck and Goose bottoms that go uninspected. :elephant:

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:30 pm

I think the truth is more important then perception. If we allow popular theory to get ahead of the truth then the consensus takes over.

Aircraft and boats are not responsible for moving species of any type anywhere. This is another 'man-made global warming' fraud attempt to create regulation and raise money for nothing. I have talked to many biologist about this topic and they have told me that they can get large sums of grant money to study and blame humans for everything.

Lakes that do not have these different organisms in them now it's because the ph balance, acids, temperatures or many other conditions are not conducive to that organisms living parameters. Once the conditions change or the organism mutates creating a livable condition, nature will make it happen with or without humans help.

Maybe I should just jump on board and start selling "Invasive Species Off-set Credits" (ISO Credits).

Right now and right now only!!!! I'll sell ISO Credits at half price to seaplaneforum members. Plus if you act now!!!..... I'll through in a set of Ginsu knives. :mrgreen:

:sheepish: :sheepish: :sheepish: :sheepish: :sheepish: :sheepish: :sheepish: :sheepish: :sheepish: :sheepish: :sheepish: :sheepish: :sheepish: consensus sheep
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:37 pm

Unfortunately "Perception is Fact Until Proven Otherwise" I read some where and I agree that we need to get out inf front of this so the true facts are presented to the public who believe what they read and hear without taking the time to check things out.

While running a division of a paper company, we got a pair of spotted owls to mate and produce offspring in a park in San Franciso in less than 3 acres when the environmentalists forced the shut down of one of our operations because they claimed that it took 3,000 acres to get one pair to successfully mate. The public believed it though and for a long time that operation and all its employees was shut down.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby CFII » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:37 pm

RKittine wrote:Unfortunately "Perception is Fact Until Proven Otherwise" I read some where and I agree that we need to get out inf front of this so the true facts are presented to the public who believe what they read and hear without taking the time to check things out.

While running a division of a paper company, we got a pair of spotted owls to mate and produce offspring in a park in San Franciso in less than 3 acres when the environmentalists forced the shut down of one of our operations because they claimed that it took 3,000 acres to get one pair to successfully mate. The public believed it though and for a long time that operation and all its employees was shut down.

How did you get the Spotted Owls to mate, have a romantic evening dinner set up for them or something?
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:33 pm

I happen to have researched spotted Owls extensively when I was young and found them to mate best with their mates in professionally set up mating environmates that are known to help with mating. Very sporadic conditions have to be mate to make the mate mate its mate.

Now I have to figure out how to sue Klaus for the Patent Infringement he didn't know he committed, because I believe I hold a patent on invasive species offset credits. At the least he will owe me (subsequently seaplaneforum.com) royalties for improper insider trading and attempting to bargain off of an idea I gave birth to in my mind. If I am wrong, I will apolomate pubically immateiately.

:yessir: :flying: = :roll:

Invasive species are a high visibility item in the fight against seaplanes. For once, our industry decided to be proactive and aggressive about it. However ill-minded or wrong we may consider this to be, we need to pull together and use that momentum towards more proactive and aggressive "preventative" advocacy work. We have a education problem, average people can no longer distinguish truth from fiction, so a down to earth, hands on "get in touch with the people" effort should have been started ~ 15 years ago. Like most of the time, we're last to the party with a lot of misconceptions circling the room, but if we pull hard enough, this could be done.

Throughout the next several years we will see that invasive species issue fade as people and communities realize that none of the countermeasures will defeat nature. We will continue to see a shift towards "risk and fear" issues such as mixed traffic amongst boats as well as noise and leaded gas.

Our current and future advocacy fights will be fought against people who consider everything with wings a tool of evil, operated by one of the rich privileged. Rime, common sense and reason have gone out the window a long time ago, so we'll see how things pan out, mid to long term and after a tremendous heading change on our part. I personally wonder how we'll do it, but heaven and hell know we will need to...
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Sound advise as always and we had to show the owls by example what to do .......
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:33 pm

Jason, to prevent ISO Credit costly copyright lawsuits... maybe I should donate a couple ISO credits to the seaplaneforum fundraiser.

If you buy one Al Gores Global Warming off-sets he plants a tree somewhere. maybe we should offer to go duck hunting or something. :idea:

:roll:
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:00 am

KlausNW wrote:Jason, to prevent ISO Credit costly copyright lawsuits... maybe I should donate a couple ISO credits to the seaplaneforum fundraiser.

If you buy one Al Gores Global Warming off-sets he plants a tree somewhere. maybe we should offer to go duck hunting or something. :idea:

:roll:

Are you trying to talk me out of taking you to court? :roll: :!: :?:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:59 am

But if this administration gets its way, you won't have a gun to go Duck Hunting with, so maybe a fish trip, which as of now are still legal.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:29 am

RKittine wrote:But if this administration gets its way, you won't have a gun to go Duck Hunting with, so maybe a fish trip, which as of now are still legal.

Since lures fly through the air on the way from angler to water body it is safe to assume that this could be regulated as well.
Imagine the risk to low flying drones if some angler tosses a piece of lead at neck breaking speeds through the air. :?
At the very least, we should be charging a National Airspace Use Fee for anglers and fly fishers. Afterall, they are using airspace.

Unimaginable. Just too much risk.

Fishing lures and lines need to be cleaned with Clorox after each use and bathed in 145 degree hot water for 9 minutes and 23 seconds.

Fact is, if its crazy enough to dream it up, we can see it as law and regulation....

:sheepish: :sheepish: :sheepish: :sheepish: <-- those guys will make it possible...
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby CFII » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:10 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
RKittine wrote:Sound advise as always and we had to show the owls by example what to do .......

Outstanding ecological initiative and effort, not to mention the significant personal risk of demonstrating tree-limb mount techniques at dangerous heights! The work must have been its own reward but, the global ecosphere still owes you a huge debt. Well done.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:20 pm

Now I know why I am happy that I am this old and will not be around for too many more years ............. Glad I do not have a big family to leave with this mess.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:39 pm

Tools to fight invasive species

The news story can be read here: http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/128296/Tools-to-fight-invasive-species

MPs Ron Cannan and Dan Albas were in Kelowna Friday to announce proposed regulations to battle invasive aquatic species.

The regulatory framework would give provinces and territories new tools to prevent the introduction of these types of species to Canada, from other countries or within provinces and regions.

"From an educational perspective, we are aware of the issue of invasive species coming into our community," Ron Cannan said. "Whether it's through a float plane or a boat, intentional or unintentional, the fact is that we want to ensure the health and productivity of all our water systems."

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans currently has a $14-million budget to battle invasive aquatic species. If the new regulations are approved, any rollout costs would come from that pool of money until new funding initiatives come online.

"Once in place, these regulations will help prevent species like Asian carp from establishing in Canadian waters and most importantly, give us new tools to battle them if they are introduced," said Dan Albas. "The proposed AIS regulations will ensure that the import, transport, possession and release of specific aquatic invasive species, including all species of Asian Carp and zebra and quagga mussels, are strictly prohibited."

Currently, compliance with provincial rules regulating the movement of aquatic invasive species is voluntary.

Albas said that the proposed regulations will give Canadian Border Service agents the authority to compel a person to comply with provincial and national regulations, a power they currently do not have.

Tom Therriault, a research scientist with the DFO said there is "no silver bullet" for eradicating invasive species once they establish themselves in our waterways.

"It's a species-specific response typically. But prevention is always the key," he said.

The announcement coincided with a roundtable discussion with local stakeholders at the Kelowna Yacht Club.

The new regulations will be published Dec. 6 in the Canada Gazette, Part I for a 30-day public comment period.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Sun May 28, 2017 2:00 pm

Ask a Conservation Officer: What are the rules for floatplanes and aquatic invasive species?

By Matthew S. Miller, Minnesota DNR 05/28/17 5:05 a.m.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/outdoors/fishing/4274356-ask-conservation-officer-what-are-rules-floatplanes-and-aquatic-invasive

Q: I live on a lake and we have an AIS (aquatic invasive species) inspection station for boats, yet nothing for the planes that fly in. Are there procedures or inspections for floatplanes regarding invasive species?

A: The guidelines and regulations for preventing the spread of invasive species is similar for floatplanes as it is for watercraft and water-related equipment; it is illegal to transport aquatic plants, zebra mussels or prohibited species, or place/attempt to place into waters of the state a watercraft, float plane or trailer with invasive species attached.

Much of the focus on AIS prevention is focused on watercraft, as they vastly outnumber floatplanes in Minnesota as a probable vector for AIS transport, and inspection stations are limited to those areas with high volumes of traffic and high risk for the spread of prohibited species. Following the laws and regulations is the responsibility of the operators of planes, watercraft, and other equipment.

Look online at http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/natural_resources/invasives/ais-seaplane.pdf for more information on cleaning and inspecting floatplanes to prevent the spread of AIS.

Matthew S. Miller is a Minnesota Department of Natural Resources conservation officer with the Lake Superior Marine Unit. Send your questions to outdoors@duluthnews.com.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Mon May 29, 2017 8:34 am

I wouldn't go into water if some of my pilots friends went into first! :headbang:

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplane & General Aviation Advocacy & Regulatory Matters