Member Support

• Advertisement

RAF and New York State

Advocacy topics from around the world...

RAF and New York State

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:02 pm

Thanks to my good friend, friend of SeaplaneForum.com, fellow shooter (I finally got my order finalized with the Custom Shop today for my 40XB in 6mmBR Norma) and friend to abused and down trodden animals, Tim, Ceeplane.com McCormack, has been corresponding with Russ Holland, the New York State Liaison to the Royal Air Force, Oops, The Recreational Aviation Foundation. Seems that the RAF is having issues getting an addition to the "NYS Recreational Use Statute" adding "and Recreational Aviation", due to supposed issues with the New York City Trial Lawyers Association, at least according to Assemblyman Sean Ryan.

Through a business deal I brokered in 1982 I met a young junior attorney at the biggest New York City Law Firm, who became a friend, shooting friend and a pilot student of mine. He has also been my business attorney over all these years, but only because out of friendship he does not charge me his hourly rate.

Today after over 30 years he rose to full partner, was kept when Blank Rome, the second largest law firm in the world purchased Tenzer Greenblatt, who he was with and he is now the Managing Partner (the equivalent of CEO in the Legal World). More importantly, today he owns and flies a Lear Model 55 (you can see why I could not afford him if he charged me).

Thanks to Tim I got the information on what Russ was trying to do and got that to my attorney and hopefully he can help. I also sent them contact information for a guy that I used to teach with who went on to be a corporate jet driver and then an aviation attorney, also here in New York

I bring this up since all of us know people and hopefully if the issues get around, each of us may be able to help bring people together and also to develop a list of aviation supporters that have some type of knowledge and influence.

Thanks Tim, hope both of these people become helpful.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: RAF and New York State

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:21 pm

Well let's see what happens. I got my State Senator Jim Seward to sponsor the Recreational NY bill back in 2011 and it was coming up for a vote with a good chance of passing when the Damn Safe Act sh!t hit the fan and screwed things up.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:13 pm

Bob, if any thanks are due, it would be to you for trying to co-ordinate this "meeting" between the RAF and the Trial Lawyers Association. As we all know, it's usually not WHAT we know, but rather WHO we know. We sure don't want to count the chickens before the eggs hatch, but just finding someone in the Trial Lawyers Association that's willing to listen to the RAF in monumental.

They (RAF) have been working on getting this recreational use statute changed for some time, even to the point of having bills in both houses of the New York legislature but for some reason, ignorance of the facts, I'm sure, the trial lawyers have been resisting. The RAF has been trying to find an "inside" contact to discuss the issue with. Through Bob's help we may actually make some progress.

This Recreational Use Statute issue is quite interesting. The RAF has been successful in getting "recreational aviation" added to the statures in a number of states already. I urge everyone to take a look at the RAF website page about this. You might be surprised to find that it might even benefit you personally.

Please join up while you're there. They need our support. htp://theraf.org/menu/recreational-use-statutes
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:48 pm

When I was talking with John McKenna the president of RAF, there main goal was to be quiet enough so that the TLA didn't notice while it got past. Bob you might want to talk to John before your buddy pokes a hole in Pandora's Box

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:31 am

Thanks Glenn,

I will let him know to talk to Russ first before doing anything, assuming he even will, though he has taken the time to read and respond. Right now waiting to see what he says based on what I sent him from Russ and Tim. Sometimes trying to help can be a slippery slope that back fires. Probably one of the pitfalls of trying to do some advocacy.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:56 am

I thought we were well past the point where the TLA wouldn't notice. ??? Aren't they the main resistance to it in New York State? If they're already aware of it there won't be any "slipping it by them".
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:01 am

Well, doing something can always have positive negative effects, but doing nothing means you don't even have a chance.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:35 am

Go to the RAF site and get Johns # before someone mucks it up. Like I said, we have been working on this for 3 years. I just called my Senators office to see where this has gone. The ground work has been laid here in NY it just got misplaced with the safe act. Tim we live in one of the most sue happy revenue states there is, if it goes in front of the TLA it will be stopped.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:22 pm

Glenn, it's ALREADY in front of the TLA. There's no slipping it by them. I realize their self interest in opposing it, but other states have been successful in working through it with their TLA's , even California which is even more "sue happy" than New York, so we should be able to as well. I do agree, however, that it would be most beneficial for Bob and his lawyer friend to have a conversation with the leader of RAF.

Good idea contacting Senator Seward. As you know, he's also a good friend of us gun owners.
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:48 pm

I think it is time for me to take the position of most and just forget about it. Maybe Russ and John, both being in the same organization, should have been in sync first.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:30 pm

RKittine wrote:I think it is time for me to take the position of most and just forget about it. Maybe Russ and John, both being in the same organization, should have been in sync first.

Bob

On the contrary, Bob. I believe Russ and John (?) ARE in sync. What was needed was a connection to the TLA which you may have provided. I think Glenn is confused on this one.
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:56 am

Tim McCormack wrote:
RKittine wrote:I think it is time for me to take the position of most and just forget about it. Maybe Russ and John, both being in the same organization, should have been in sync first.

Bob

On the contrary, Bob. I believe Russ and John (?) ARE in sync. What was needed was a connection to the TLA which you may have provided. I think Glenn is confused on this one.

Yup, your kids will never embarrass you.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:17 am

I know that I am getting old and feeble, but I don't get that one Glenn. Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplane & General Aviation Advocacy & Regulatory Matters