Member Support

• Advertisement

RAF; Flathead National Forest comments needed

Advocacy topics from around the world...

RAF; Flathead National Forest comments needed

Unread postby CFII » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:09 pm

This just came in, if the links don't connect just go to the RAF site, it's free, thank you all:

The Flathead National Forest is revising its Forest Plan and we are asking you to please get involved. We have made a few suggestions and highlighted them below in yellow.

If you have questions please contact me, Ron Normandeau rnormandeau@theraf.org or 406-529-5661.

The below references are specific paragraphs in the Proposed Action Document where it is appropriate to make comments addressing aviation interests in the document. Select one (or more) where you have a strong feeling, interest, or knowledge and in your own words write a comment on that subject.

The Proposed Action Document can be accessed at this link:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/flath ... width=full

The instruction on how to comment are included at the bottom of this document. Copy it and add your comments to the boxes.

Address this reference in your comment: Page 56, Chapter 2, Social and Economic Resources (S&E) Desired Condition (FW-DC-S&E), Paragraph 02
Your comments should address the economic impact that visits to the backcountry provide to communities bordering or near backcountry recreation opportunities.

Address this reference in your comment: Page 59, Chapter 2, Human Uses and Designations of the Forest, Recreation Settings and Opportunities Introduction
Your comments should address why airplane camping should be included in the list of developed and dispersed recreation opportunities such as horseback, hiking, hunting, fishing, etc.

Address this reference in your comment: Page 60, Chapter 2, Summer Recreation (SREC), Desired Conditions (FW-DC-SREC), Paragraph 02
Your comments should address the fact that airstrips provide an access method to primitive settings that require no roads. The airstrips already there are historic and have provided access for decades.

Address this reference in your comment: Page 65, Chapter 2, Infrastructure (IFS), Introduction
Your comments should address the fact that airstrips are a designated component of the forest infrastructure as defined in the Code of Federal Regulations. The CFR for reference:

Forest transportation facility. A forest road or trail or an airfield that is displayed in a forest transportation atlas, including bridges, culverts, parking lots, marine access facilities, safety devices, and other improvements appurtenant to the forest transportation system. CFR Title 36, PART 212—TRAVEL MANAGEMENT, §212.1 Definitions

Address this reference in your comment: Page 66, Chapter 2 Desired Conditions (FW-DC-IFS), Paragraph 12
Your comments should address that closed airstrips on the forest could provide alternate and additional access methods in areas where the airstrip already exists. Consideration of new airstrips would allow consideration of access without the construction of roads or trails.

Address this reference in your comment: Page 70, Chapter 2, Infrastructure (IFS), Guidelines (FW-GDL-IFS), Paragraph 11
Your comments should address that airstrip maintenance may be accomplished by the pilot community through the use of volunteer work agreements and scheduled weekend work sessions.

Comments on the Proposed Action

The release of the proposed action initiates the formal 60-day scoping period under the provisions of the NEPA. We value your input and encourage you to submit your comments as we modify the proposed action, develop alternatives for environmental analysis, and prepare an environmental impact statement. Comments must be received by May 5 (within the 60-day comment period commencing with the publication of the notice of intent in the Federal Register). The notice of intent is posted on the website (www.fs.usda.gov/goto/flathead/fpr).

The decision to approve the revised forest plan for the Flathead National Forest and the amendment for the Helena, Lewis and Clark, Kootenai, and Lolo National Forests will be subject to the objection process identified in 36 CFR Part 219 Subpart B (219.50 to 219.62). Only those individuals and entities who have submitted substantive formal comments related to the Flathead NF plan revision and the four amendments during the opportunities provided for public comment (beginning with this comment period), will be eligible to file an objection (36 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 219.53(a)).

Submit comments via email at flatheadplanrevision@fs.fed.us, mail them to Forest Plan Revision, Flathead National Forest, 650 Wolfpack Way, Kalispell, MT 59901. If you prefer, download this instruction sheet from the website and input your comments into the following tables. Add rows to the tables for additional comments.

Name

Affiliation/Organization if applicable

Address

Email address

Flathead National Forest Proposed Action

Related to (part of the plan, or plan component identifier code)

Comment

proposed solution (If you have identified a concern)

We appreciate your help.

Ron Normandeau

RAF Montana State Liaison

rnormandeau@theraf.org

Recreational Aviation Foundation
1711 West College Street
Bozeman, MT 59715-4913
United States
406-582-1RAF (406-582-1723)
theraf.org

Join Team RAF!

RAF Mission:
“Keeping the legacy of recreational aviation strong by preserving, maintaining and creating public use recreational and backcountry airstrips nationwide”
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Re: RAF; Flathead National Forest comments needed

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:35 pm

Downloading the comments form and filling it out was a little more involved than some of these, but easy and quickly done.

Mine is in.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:00 am

Thanks for sharing this, CFII. Moved to Advocacy section so it stays on top.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby CFII » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:14 pm

jjbaker wrote:Thanks for sharing this, CFII. Moved to Advocacy section so it stays on top.

Thanks Jason. Here is a copy of my first letter, which may be paraphrased by anyone wishing to support similar action. Multiple letters may be sent under different headings....
Dear Flatheads National Forest Service; USFS:

Please continue in The Flathead National Forest per CFR Title 36, PART 212—TRAVEL MANAGEMENT, §212.1
allowing equally along with other user groups; General Aviation use and camping on all existing airstrips, reopen closed airstrips to expand disabled persons' and all Citizens' access and create new Airstrip Trailheads to Primitive Settings as they have proven historically for decades to be very low in environmental impact, need no roads, can be cared for at no expense by Aviation Minded Volunteers, infuse income into surrounding communities, and provide safety havens for air travelers, fire fighters and SAR personnel.

Thank you again and please keep me informed of progress in this important matter.

Sincerely,

David

Sent from my iPhone
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby CFII » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:00 pm

RKittine wrote:Downloading the comments form and filling it out was a little more involved than some of these, but easy and quickly done.

Mine is in.

Bob

Bob, please go to SPA site and open the email LINK and see if it links to YOUR COMPUTER PROPERLY. Thanks Again.
Need to confirm it pasted properly, having difficulties, can't get the highlighted areas to transfer, which is very helpful in showing pilots what short issues are important in the longer document. I am working with RAF to find a way to transfer complete with highlights between different coding systems.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:24 pm

The sites software doesn't convert hyperlinks. VBull does that, but not on our budget here.
Usually people can send me text they have difficulty with and I will go through the work to hyperlink the words that are marked, time permitting.
I do that work for most news articles I post, I will definitely do it for advocacy related material that is sent to me, no matter how few people seem to care.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby CFII » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:17 am

jjbaker wrote:The sites software doesn't convert hyperlinks. VBull does that, but not on our budget here.
Usually people can send me text they have difficulty with and I will go through the work to hyperlink the words that are marked, time permitting.
I do that work for most news articles I post, I will definitely do it for advocacy related material that is sent to me, no matter how few people seem to care.

Thanks Jason, let's see what the RAF comes up with in the next 5 days first as this is an ongoing need for our group.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Return to Seaplane & General Aviation Advocacy & Regulatory Matters