Member Support

• Advertisement

Colorado Call To Action By SPA

Advocacy topics from around the world...

Colorado Call To Action By SPA

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:54 am

Received by Email:

Call to Action

We need your help in assisting us open Colorado waters to seaplanes.
Please write an email letter in support of the cause.

This week will be pivotal in reintroducing seaplanes in Colorado. The Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) Commission is meeting in Gunnison on Thursday (6/11/2015) at 4:05 p.m. to review recommendations from its staff regarding seaplane access to Colorado public waterways. An advance copy of those recommendations indicate a stance by the CPW staff to continue to deny access to seaplanes to all state-controlled waterways. The staff recommendations were prepared by an internal committee consisting of four CPW members, none having aviation experience.

We do not intend to let those recommendations go unchallenged. Seaplane Pilots Association Executive Director Steve McCaughey, along with Colorado Pilots Association President Ann Beardall and representatives from several other organizations including AOPA and RAF, will be attending the meeting.

We have prepared responses to CPW and are ready to defend your rights. We intend to petition the Commission to establish a joint citizens committee consisting of aviation, boating, and other water users as well as representatives from CPW.

Please write to the CPW and show your support for seaplanes in Colorado. Send an email today to:

dnr_cpwcommission@state.co.us

You may read about how the commission functions here: http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/Co ... nFAQs.aspx

Subject: I Support Seaplanes

We need to show that there is strong community support for seaplanes. Please be professional and polite, but direct.

Talking points to consider:

We are only asking for fair and equal access to Colorado lakes as a recreational resource, similar to those enjoyed by other motorized recreational vehicles such as boats and personal watercraft.

• Unlike boaters, who do enjoy access to these lakes, all seaplane pilots are highly trained and FAA certificated in the safe operation of their vessels on the water.
  • We will ensure that, like boats, seaplanes are inspected and certified to be free of invasive species before entering Colorado lakes.
  • Most boats expel exhaust into the water, introducing oil, gasoline, and other pollutants. Seaplane exhaust is cleaner due to required periodic maintenance of aircraft engines, and like auto exhaust it instantly and harmlessly dissipates in the air.
  • Statistics complied by U.S. government agencies show unequivocally that boating poses a far greater risk of accidents, incidents, and unsafe operation than seaplanes on the water. Any argument that seaplanes pose an undue hazard to the general public is simply not based on the facts.
  • Seaplanes could offer Colorado valuable public services including wildfire spotting, search and rescue, and natural resource research and protection as well as bringing economic development and new tourism growth opportunities.
  • Seaplanes are used by many state and federal agencies including the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, specifically because they allow safe and environmentally friendly access to remote locations for a variety of official and scientific purposes.
  • Please sit down with the Seaplane Pilots Association who will partner with you to help you make informed, fact based decisions on your seaplane access policies.

If you have any questions, comments, or need assistance in writing to CWC or getting directions to the meeting, please contact SPA Colorado Field Director Ray Hawkins at [Redacted], or call him at [Redacted].

Thank you for your crucial support in this important initiative to expand seaplane access in beautiful Colorado

I have taken the liberty to mark and emphasize a few "talking points" I would desperately try to omit to avoid looking all to helpless.
There should be plenty or other arguments to make in defense of a very small handful of seaplane pilots seeking to open water for themselves.
Last edited by jjbaker on Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Waiting for update on correct email address| JJB 6/17/2015
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Re: Colorado Call To Action By SPA

Unread postby CFII » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:47 am

George185F wrote:Interesting call to action. Did you hear anything on how this went?
Can't imagine a lot of letters having been sent.

Most boats expel exhaust into the water, introducing oil, gasoline, and other pollutants. Seaplane exhaust is cleaner due to required periodic maintenance of aircraft engines, and like auto exhaust it instantly and harmlessly dissipates in the air.

:lol: Who comes up with things like this?

You are correct that not many letters will be written, there never are but this is one, because of its irrationally sweeping implications, is one of the more important of rule making decisions to act on by all pilots of vision, not just seaplaners.

It is typical of all calls to action on seaplane discrimination with the glaring exception that the State of Colorado has taken the extremely unusual stance of blatantly eliminating all access to seaplanes on public waters in the state.

The otherwise well written statements of the writer on exhaust emissions could certainly do without the word "harmlessly" and I intend to draw that to his attention.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby CFII » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:02 pm

This letter took me longer than the usual 2 minutes, 7! (including reading Ray's letter) It may be paraphrased by any pro Colorado sea plane use writers that wish to save time:

CFII wrote:To:
Adrian Varney:

Please let seaplanes operate on Colorado waters per the points addressing the matter listed and given to you recently by the RAF and SPA.

Those points include but are not limited to, routine safety issues for transient cross country seaplanes. Also seaplane pilots are among the most responsible and highly trained of all outdoor resource user groups and leave among the least of environmental impacts plus, being a very small user group. Aviation experienced personnel should be added to your decision making group to insure accurate data and ultimate fairness in rule making.

Thank you for your continued attention to these important matters and please keep me informed of your progress.

Sincerely,

............, FAA certified flight instructor

Sent from my iPhone
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby CFII » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:05 pm

Original post deleted by poster since editing function duplicates entire post and re-posts. Never saw one like it elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:15 pm

The editing function is enabled and functions. You may have hit "Quote" when trying to edit?
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby CFII » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:22 pm

I got an immediate reply that the address listed in the original letter above is incorrect and they gave another link with one that I simply copied and pasted my letter into and sent.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby CFII » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:26 pm

jjbaker wrote:The editing function is enabled and functions. You may have hit "Quote" when trying to edit?

Quite possible. Sometimes there are no labels, I just touch in the blank space in the upper right hand corner and get a place to write. Other times the edit label does come up.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby CFII » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:05 pm

George185F wrote:Interesting call to action. Did you hear anything on how this went?
Can't imagine a lot of letters having been sent.

Most boats expel exhaust into the water, introducing oil, gasoline, and other pollutants. Seaplane exhaust is cleaner due to required periodic maintenance of aircraft engines, and like auto exhaust it instantly and harmlessly dissipates in the air.

:lol: Who comes up with things like this?

I did just now correspond with Ray and he was trying to emphasise that seaplane emissions into actual bodies of water are relatively non existent which is definitely not the case with classicly engined watercraft. He's reconsidering the wording.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby Randi Ernst » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:12 pm

We will ensure that, like boats, seaplanes are inspected and certified to be free of invasive species before entering Colorado lakes.

Saw this posted on SuperCub.Org and will ask the same question here I did there, how are those of us that fly straight floats supposed to inspect and certify our planes prior to landing on a body of water?

Not saying it's not an important issue and in fact I think it's one that could really bite us Seaplane folks in the future particularly in some of the places with active Weed Watchers some of whom are just itching for justification to ban all visitors to "their" lake be it transient boats or airplanes.

randi
Randi Ernst
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:25 pm

CFII wrote:I got an immediate reply that the address listed in the original letter above is incorrect and they gave another link with one that I simply copied and pasted my letter into and sent.

I received this per email through the grapevine as I absolutely positively cannot be added to SPA's Call To Action email alert list. Neither can I receive such emails from RAF. Subsequently, any hasty corrections or addition may or may not reach me. In this case there was none. My apologies to those who have wasted their time.

Please update the thread by sharing current and valid email, I have removed the one shown previously.

Thanks,
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:29 pm

I think our time is up. Wasn't 06/11 the actual hearing?

RPK
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:42 pm

One of the reasons I was rather surprised to receive this on 6/11. I posted it the moment I got it on 6/11 at a few minutes to 5AM EDT.
I did not send a letter as there was no deadline for doing so disclosed in the email.

Like many other seaplane and GA advocacy related items, completely under the carpet until its to late to take any meaningful action.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:56 pm

Randi,

Here's a link to a video posted back in 2014. You may also use the search feature on "invasive species" to find other corresponding threads on this topic. Other than that, you may exit the aircraft prior to departure to visually inspect and clean the floats. A great "feel good" measure to a problem that isn't caused (absolutely no scientific proof anywhere that any water foul has ever been introduced to a body of water by the use of a seaplane) by and unlikely to be greatly affected by seaplanes. I haven't yet seen seagulls and other water birds get steam-cleaned or pressure washed with 140 degree water prior to landing on or taking a dump in a lake.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:12 pm

The EPA and several other agencies are hellbent on having figured out that aviation grade fuel, such as 100LL has Lead in it and neither burns clean nor does it harmlessly dissipate anywhere at all. Several dozens of court cases are open, trying to restrict or otherwise prohibit the use of any leaded gas. Our industry is the only one to still use 60 year old technology ahead of the firewall. These days, our emission and environmental impact only leads that of busses, trucks, trains and cruise-ships. Meanwhile, Busses and Trucks are often equipped with catalytic converters and sud burners, emitting even less emissions than passenger cars.

Auto exhaust gas that has gone through a catalytic converter is basically a bit less toxic than non-catalyzed. Both are a far cry in terms of toxicity from what comes out of a 100LL burning engine. Stating otherwise is a helpless milkmaids theory. So are talking points which unfairly and discriminatory accuse boaters of being dangerous, unqualified or causative to invasive species, incidents or any accidents. A lake with 1000 boats on it will have a statistically higher chance of having incidents and accidents than a lake with one or two seaplanes. We can't very well use this in our defense.

Why can't we just ask authorities to regulate with equality and fairness in mind. Lets base decisions on factual information and scientifically proven concepts which can later be defended in a court of law. Regulations need to be justified and grant equal access to ALL user-groups. Even exotic user-groups deserve to be treated equal with everyone else.

Neither is there merit that invasive species are caused by seaplanes, nor is there evidence indicating that mixing boats with seaplanes is statistically more dangerous than not doing so. If paddler Joe can decide to paddle in CO, so can pilot Bob decide to fly his seaplane there and boater Jane may do the same. We can then adjust our stand by offering noise abatement measures, instruct our pilots to be responsible stewards of nature and promise to otherwise not cause any undue harm upon people and nature. Instead, historically proven, our pilots will help rather than hurt, in keeping pristine waters usable and safe. All to the best of our ability. We then invite regulators to the table and answer questions they may have. If the regulator decides not to hear our plea or refuses to consider comments in dissent of restricting action, we go to court. Advocacy work isn't an emotional game, its simple cold hard legal stuff. Nobody cares for our romantic desires.

Boaters are much larger in numbers, much better represented nationwide and already enjoy public acceptance for the most part.
If anything, we should be trying to join forces with other recreational water users, not call them dangerous monster in our defense.

I've made this argument for the last 6+ years, unsuccessfully.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby CFII » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:35 pm

Send a short letter anyway. They often extend these deadlines and it takes less time to write a short one than ask too many questions. After getting briefed on the subject they only count the pro and con titles/votes anyway.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:03 pm

I've removed the email address as you said it was incorrect. No updated email so far.
Bob, did you get this call to action by any chance, possibly with a updated/ corrected email?
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:11 pm

Nothing seen on SPA and nothing sent to me. Just scanned through 3 pages of SPA Advocacy posts and did not find anything on this.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Bob, are you surprised about that? Looks like a A-Z Blooper, again... :lol:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby CFII » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:54 pm

I just got a long letter back from Ray and it is as I suspected, letters are being piled into data for next month's meeting. Even letters to the incorrect address are collected.

He says this action has energized the alphabet groups. But of course there is time lag. I will see about posting his whole letter.

The state uses an unrealistic boater density use formula and claims user saturation and refused (for now) to analyze other data. I referred him for now to data on seaplane use at Lake Union Seattle with super high boater density with no problems for a half century.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:06 pm

Less than 5 minutes for a reply from Adrian Varney, who is Assistant to the Commission.

The correct email address to send comments in support of seaplanes in CO is:

dnr_cpwcommission@state.co.us - It would be nice to send comments to the correct address.

There is a PDF I made on how the process works, attached below.

Unreal: The regulator is more cooperative, informative and helpful in these matters than the SPA :oops:

Here's the process on how to comment and the different steps the commission goes through.

Colorado State Parks _ How To Comment.pdf
(62.66 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Attached here is the Colorado Parks & Wildlife Commission Memo on Mr. Hawkins "Seaplane Request".

ITEM8-Seaplane-Request.PDF
(318.15 KiB) Downloaded 161 times

Of course, Item 8 can now be located on the now past meeting which took place on June 11.

http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/Co ... 015-6.aspx
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:43 pm

Thanks JJ, Late but done. Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:53 pm

Its midnight here and if I wake up tomorrow, I may submit a letter on letterhead as well.
Hope the background information I compiled and posted here will help in developing a better list of talking points.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:06 pm

Finish your cigar and go to bed. You look tired! :Preaching:
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:30 am

Letter on letterhead submitted.

Seaplaneforum_CPWCommission_Seaplane_Comment.pdf
(99.04 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin