Member Support

• Advertisement

NBAA Call To Action - ATC Privatization/ User Fees

Advocacy topics from around the world...

NBAA Call To Action - ATC Privatization/ User Fees

Unread postby jjbaker » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:28 pm

Here's what a professionally written call to action looks like.
BTW, the links work and I am sure NBAA welcomes support from the little people, too.
Seems as if NBAA is one of the few groups which have realized the need for collaboration, collective action and making resources available.

Call to Action: Help Fight FAA Privatization, User Fees

June 24, 2015

Dear NBAA Member,

Business aviation confronts a serious legislative threat, and I am writing to ask that you immediately make your voice heard.

Here's the situation, and why action is needed now: Last week, U.S. Rep Bill Shuster (R-9- PA) announced that in the coming days, an FAA reauthorization bill will be introduced in the House of Representatives calling for a privatized air traffic control system funded by user fees.

The potential consequences from such a bill cannot be overstated. Without Congress to ensure that our nation's air traffic system safeguards the aviation needs of the entire public – including the people and companies that rely on general aviation in small and mid-size towns – such sweeping authority would instead be granted to a group of self-interested parties.

These parties will be left to make decisions about where and when companies using business aviation can fly, how much it will cost to do so, and what type of payment – including user fees – will be demanded of operators.

Our industry cannot be silent or complacent against these threats. We must once again make our united voice of opposition heard on this issue. You can do so by using NBAA's online "Contact Congress" resource, which helps people in business aviation make their voices heard about the policies most important to them.

I ask that you please take a moment now to express your strong opposition against any legislation that would enact user fees and strip Congress of its role in protecting unencumbered access to the air traffic system. Members of Congress are most attentive to their constituents, who live and work in the states and districts they are charged with representing. Contact Congress provides a quick, convenient means to tell your elected officials you oppose these dangerous proposals.

Thank you for your time, and your help in opposing measures that would cause significant harm to our industry.

Sincerely,

Ed Bolen
President and CEO
National Business Aviation Association
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Re: NBAA Call To Action - ATC Privatization/ User Fees

Unread postby jjbaker » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:47 pm

Submitting a letter with minor edits + providing feedback for NBAA took 4 minutes.
Instantly submitted with a thank you letter received less than a minute after pushing "Submit".

Dear Jason,

Thank you for supporting the business aviation community with your message opposing a privatized air traffic control system funded with user fees to the members of Congress representing your area. It is important that the people in our industry remind policymakers in Washington that all of general aviation, including people and companies that rely on a business aircraft, have long opposed user fees and that fuel taxes are the best way for general aviation to pay for use of the aviation system.

If you have any questions or need more information, I invite you to contact NBAA's offices at any time, at (202) 783-9000. We will be glad to assist you.

Your message was delivered to:
- Rep. Bruce Poliquin (REP-ME)
- Sen. Angus King (IND-ME)
- Sen. Susan Collins (REP-ME)

Again, thanks, Jason, for your support.

Sincerely,

Ed Bolen
NBAA President and CEO
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby CFII » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:30 pm

I went through the their process on about five minutes, and it appeared to generate a form letter customized with some of my information which is fine with me if they'd rather that than my personal letter.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:16 am

The letter could/ can be copied and pasted for editing and future use. Great example of a professionally composed, result oriented letter.
Mr. Bohlen has already responded to the feedback and receipt acknowledgements from all three politicians contacted have been received.

I'm the (Title) of (Company), and a (Certificate) Pilot in (Location), and I am sending this letter to request that you oppose any attempt by Congress to privatize the air traffic control system and fund it with user fees on general aviation.

Attempts are being made to require all users of our aviation system to pay user fees and strip Congress of its traditional oversight role for funding and governance of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), by turning that authority over to a self-interested "board," to determine when companies using business aviation can fly, how much it will cost to do so, and what type of payment – including user fees – will be demanded of operators.

Privatized systems in foreign countries are funded with user fees that require a new bureaucracy of billing agents, collectors and auditors. They impose a huge administrative burden on those who have to pay the fees to operate in what is effectively a monopoly system. We do not need to create some new “Sky-R-S” to collect aviation fees in the United States. General aviation in the U.S. has always contributed to the aviation system through fuel taxes that are easily collected and efficiently administered, and should continue to do so.

Further, the skies over the U.S. are a national asset, and the general aviation community is committed to ensuring that the future funding and subsequent design of the national air transportation system will benefit all Americans.

There are only 500 or so cities in the United States that have scheduled airline service. But there are over 5,000 small towns in the U.S. with airports that provide access to general aviation, including business aviation. Access to airports, and to the nation's airspace, creates jobs, generates economic activity, and helps make America's aviation system work for all Americans. In fact, general aviation supports more than a million jobs and generates more than $200 billion in economic activity each year.

Privatizing our air traffic control system could jeopardize these jobs and economic activity by threatening access for general aviation to airports and airspace.

Protect Americans' freedom to safely fly without excessive fees and protect jobs and economic activity by saying no user fees and privatizing our air traffic control system.

Signature
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:48 am

Took no time at all. We have a FAA authorized, privately funded and staffed, seasonal control tower at East Hampton. At time there was way less confusion when there was heavy traffic and the field was in Un-Controlled mode.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:02 am

Hey, 3 out of 74 is quite a hammer. Must be an advocacy participation record never seen before.
Thanks, Bob and CFII for doing the deed. I'll follow up with Ed to find out how his association is doing on participation.

For years the argument has been that people weren't given the right tools to help.
Then the argument was made that unorganized effort isn't effective.
Now the tools are available and Associations like NBAA exist (no turfwars!)
Doing this is free to all - NBAA member or not - and they welcome non members help.

Next up - Medical Reform Letters to State Reps - Done By AOPA.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby TriPacer » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:53 pm

Done.
TriPacer
Owner Of The Force
From Minnesota, where men strangle bears and children fly helicopters!
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:28 pm

Thanks George.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:58 am

Facing staunch opposition in the aviation industry to a plan to privatize ATC and levy user fees, Congress has opted to delay the FAA's reauthorization spending bill until at least September.

The move makes it appear increasingly likely that the FAA will require a stopgap funding bill to keep money flowing after the agency's current reauthorization legislation expires on September 30. The decision to delay the FAA bill surprised some in Congress, who expected the legislation to emerge on July 1. The bill is expected to call for creating a stand-alone, nonprofit corporation to run and oversee modernization of the FAA's traffic control system with user fees to pay for its operation.

The provision has led to widespread condemnation from aviation interest groups, including a "call to action" by the National Business Aviation Association, which is urging its members to contact Congress to oppose the plan.

Source: flyingmag.com
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:21 am

We will probably see more of this across Federal and State agencies and institutions. It is a Back Door Way to raise taxes, without doing a direct tax increase. The airlines will pass the costs along to travelers, while GA pilots will have to pay directly. Part of the burden will be carried by international carriers I would suspect. I think we are going to start seeing more toll roads now with a more universal acceptance to EZ-PASS and other compatible systems as they can do that without direct employees. There are a number of toll roads around the country now that have no provision for taking cash and you can only use them if you have a payment transponder.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:39 am

:lol:

This is SURREAL!

Attorneys, Clowns & Politicians. We're screwed.

Dear Mr. Baker:

Thank you for taking the time to share with me your concerns about privatizing the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Understanding your view on this important issue helps me better represent you and our fellow Mainers in the U.S. House of Representatives.

I appreciate you writing in on this subject. As an amateur pilot, I know how critical the FAA is to public safety. These hard-working men and women keep millions of travelers safe every year.

As Congress works to reauthorize the FAA this year, it is imperative that we ensure these professionals have all the tools they need to keep the flying public safe and to ensure that air commerce continues to move. I will carefully examine the FAA reauthorization as it comes up this September. Be assured that I will keep your thoughts and concerns in mind as this legislation comes before Congress.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reach out to me. If you have any concerns in the future, please don't hesitate to contact our Congressional Office. I'm grateful and honored to represent you in Washington.

Best wishes,
Bruce Poliquin

Write a lot of letters, but don't say a single thing.

:friendsforever:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:32 am

You at least got a response. I am about to renew my instructors certificate. I am surprised that there is no fee associated with it. Same thing with my Amateur Radio license. But it was $88.00 to renew my drivers license. Now we have to renew our aircraft registration every 3 years. Since it is $5.00 that is pretty cheap compared to $156.00 for each or my cars for only 2 years. Also have registration renewal fees, albeit for 3 years, for not only the power boat and sale boat, but even the dingy as it has a motor on it. I know everyone thinks that the $5.00 is a starting point and it will jump up, but I do think it is good as it is allowing a much better understanding of the real and current (at least within 3 years) of the flying GA Fleet.

User fees are nothing new, just expanding. Some airports have charged landing fees from a few dollars for GA to hundreds like Logan.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplane & General Aviation Advocacy & Regulatory Matters