Member Support

• Advertisement

SPA Tries Something New

Advocacy topics from around the world...

SPA Tries Something New

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:47 pm

Just got my issue of Water Flying and with it came a 16 page supplemental magazine, specifically on seaplane advocacy. Was impressed by what they published.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: SPA Tries Something New

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:44 pm

And they are saving us in NY by..........................

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:06 am

Glenn, you need to enroll in the SPA Academy.

:acute:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:43 am

Probably too little too late, but there does seem to be a renewed effort. Can't see dissing it until we see how they follow through. At least it appears that some of the money collected is being used for better projects then offices and salaries.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:51 am

Remember that most all of this is entirely invisible to non members and "outlaws" who steadfastly refuse or hesitate to be part of this clique.
The last year has brought many new methods to undermine and discredit non conforming groups and weaken their efficiency and purpose.
One could write a book about it.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:16 am

I believe that this was sent out to all new Seaplane Rating recipients as well as anyone that has shown any interest in the organization as there is a call in it to join. I understand your frustration with the SPA, but if we want them to do something and then fault them for an attempt, we just might as well say "the hell with them" entirely, which I do not support as they do have a presence that could be helpful. Now that I am flying again, I am at least glad to see them take up the fight somewhere.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby GaryII » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:30 pm

I will admit that I have not always been SPA's biggest fan. At the meeting this month, I complimented Steve on his attending seaplane events all over the world, but reminded him that Tavares Seaplane Base in Florida, which made a concerted effort to be seaplane friendly, and is literally a hop skip and a jump from SPA's Lakeland HQ, has not had a SPA presence at the last three events that I have attended there. By presence I mean having a SPA Tent with merchandise and people there to promote seaplane flying. First I was told SPA was there with an unmarked tent (they weren't) then excuses were made about conflicting schedules etc. I know Tavares isn't Greenville, Seattle, Alaska or Australia(who sponsored his trip there), but I let him know not to forget about his own backyard.

That being said, I for one am happy that they are building a HQ that those of us on straight floats can actually visit. The current HQ building (shack is more like it) has to be totally emptied every year so that Sun & Fun can use it. What a disruption that has to be - and it happens every year! How would you like to move your entire office out and back in every year? Not me. The new building is not being paid for by SPA membership dues but through a fundraising campaign and they got a great deal of support from the airport/City of Winter Haven.

I think the web site, water landing directory and the forum leave a lot to be desired. I don't care for some of the attitudes, personalities or politics. But...(you knew there would be one) the fact of the matter is SPA is the one group that advocates for access issues for seaplanes. They have some wins and they have some losses - that is real life. Having a stronger relationship with AOPA should give SPA more clout. I am glad to see Mark Baker on the board - although he didn't attend the annual meeting. He loves float flying and "gets it." Steve can't be everywhere and fight every fight himself. He relies on Field Directors and us to help out. For the $55 I pay a year to have an advocate, for the magazine, and some useful information electronically, I'll pay it, try to provide positive feedback and help where I can. Do I wish they were better? Absolutely. Do I have the time and effort to help make a difference? At this point, no. Looking in the mirror, who's fault is that? Mine - and all of ours.

The supplement to advocate for Colorado seaplane access was a great effort, and was paid for by advertisers and donations. I wish it could be done for all our advocacy issues, and maybe now that there is a template, it can be. I am hopeful we will continue to see things improving at SPA. It is what we've got and to make it better, it shouldn't be all on one person's shoulders. I'll duck now so fire away....
GaryII
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:31 pm

When you see Steve at an event just don't wave or walk by, do as I do and spend 20 or 30 minutes bending his ear. Mostly I bitch at him but I also give him credit for things that have changed.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:55 pm

RKittine wrote:I believe that this was sent out to all new Seaplane Rating recipients as well as anyone that has shown any interest in the organization as there is a call in it to join. I understand your frustration with the SPA, but if we want them to do something and then fault them for an attempt, we just might as well see the hell with them entirely, which I do not support as they do have a presence that could be helpful. Now that I am flying again, I am at least glad to see them take up the fight somewhere.

Bob

I guess by some silly way, I could be called a person who has shown "interest" in the organizations success, even though some peeps would refer to me as (hold on, gotta look this up) a "SPA Hater" or "SPA Enemy" or the "disgruntled Executive Director applicant guy". Count me the last person to fault any effort and move towards more inclusive, transparent, aggressive and collaborative advocacy work.

Gary - Nobody here will fire away. We have some members here who have been long time members of SPA and they would hack my head off if they really thought I was ill-positioned against (or had really positioned this forum against) the SPA. Please don't mistake being unimpressed by power, money or prestige and the political stonewalling this site and some members have experienced, as being against the ONE and ONLY purpose of this association. I have offered to work hand in hand with complete and very dedicated Seaplaneforum.com enemies and have reached out to people who have nothing nice to say about me or this forum. All good with me if it serves the community.

I know of at least 15 people who will rejoin the association if they see it return to its roots, operate transparently, within its means, while filling its number one purpose, consistently. I know I won't be one of those rejoining members, partly due to being off the continent and partly due to having done my part in years past, all for wet handshakes and a lot of lost feathers, opportunities and money.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby CFII » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:11 pm

It was a pleasant surprise for an unpleasant subject to see the substantial efforts materialized in over a dozen pages of well printed glossy color in the form of a mini-mag by the Seaplane Pilots Association when going into town and picking up the regular mail this month. It appears also that one Colorado Fly-In actually had a seaplane in attendance in May and is planning another for next fall, which in itself is a significant accomplishment in a state that is so blatantly discriminatory. Proving such practices to be not only discriminatory against a minority user group population but illegal has been my position for over two decades in similar land and seaplane efforts and in Colorado will be pursued along those lines. Copies of that extremely well written SPA publication are on the desks of pertinent government officials and hopefully we can get to a rule making rewrite soon in Colorado, the only State in the our Union to practice such discrimination.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:24 am

A frantic search for pertinent government officials has begun. Maybe they will share it. :oops:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Return to Seaplane & General Aviation Advocacy & Regulatory Matters