Member Support

Victoria Harbour a No Drone Zone --- Thoughts?

Advocacy topics from around the world...

Victoria Harbour a No Drone Zone --- Thoughts?

Unread postby chrisbuck243 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:29 am

In light of a recent article I've written for Seaplane Magazine regarding Victoria Harbour in British Columbia attempting to make the harbor a No Drone Zone...

http://seaplanemagazine.com/2016/02/27/victoria-harbour-a-no-drone-zone/

... I thought I'd share and see what you guys have to say about drones in and around harbors and seaplane bases.

What are your thoughts? Is this an issue that you are seeing or have ever faced while flying? So you think signs will work as a solution?
chrisbuck243
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Victoria Harbour a No Drone Zone --- Thoughts?

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:08 am

In 1966 I was practicing Touch and Goes, when a Radio Control plane buzzed me. Scared the you know what out of me, though it was a big joke for the operator after I landed and confronted him. In those days the RC planes were pretty crude by todays standards, but they were usually only flown by experienced hobbyists since they were expensive and easily destroyed. Today just about anyone can fly a foam airplane of 4 bladed drone without much experience, knowledge or skill. I think banning them near aircraft operating areas makes sense.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:48 am

I hope they at least put the signs on the same posts as the " THIS IS A DRUG FREE ZONE " , " THIS IS A NUCLEAR FREE ZONE" and " THIS IS A GUN FREE ZONE". Hate to waste extra poles! I'm going to take a different tack on this one. I don't like it when somebody tells me this is a gun free zone or No Seaplanes ! Drone operators have a right to fly their drones too BUT!!!! They also have a responsibility! The decision is initially up to the operator but ultimately up to the courts after the accident! There will be close calls and eventually a fatality and until there is and until there is a verdict of manslaughter and then even after. BEST KEEP A WATCHFUL EYE AND LOOK OUT FOR YOUR OWN ASS! The technology is here CANT PUT IT BACK IN BOX NOW !
"Still dreaming and hoping to die young at heart with a bar room story that will close the place"
Stevesbrother
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby chrisbuck243 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:21 am

Stevesbrother wrote:I don't like it when somebody tells me this is a gun free zone or No Seaplanes ! Drone operators have a right to fly their drones too BUT!!!! They also have a responsibility!

I've never really thought about it this way. Thinking of this situation as a pilot, albeit with limited experience, I would lean towards the No Drone Zone, as it could very easily create an unsafe situation for the pilot and passengers of the aircraft. But as a gun-owner I know how much I despise "Gun Free Zones" so I can see that side as well.

Assuming people will do the legal and logical thing of only flying drones when there are not seaplanes, or airplanes in general in the area and can fly them safely and responsibly then, in theory, they could co-exist peacefully. :headbang: But we've seen how well that's worked out with guns so...

Again just my current thoughts... I'll wait to see more of yours... :trying:
chrisbuck243
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:00 am

My feelings are that the signs are just FEEL GOOD posters. A swipe of some agency's magic wand and problems go away. Not reality! Don't get me wrong I'm not a proponent of drones, being a pilot I see drones as an infringement of the flying experience. I see many aviation jobs being lost not just pilots! Funny thing our aircraft have to be maintained by certified mechanics but I've seen no such requirements for drones. Major airframe modifications are done all the time by drone owners. Just a side thought Airplane vs drone midair. My understanding is the average civilian drones weighs less than 2 lbs. what is the weight of the frozen chicken thrown at aircraft Windows for testing . I've hit geese in airplanes and haven't crashed. As a matter of fact 20'years ago I flew through a flock of geese in a Falcon 50'in Hamilton Ohio while on the the approach. We. Didn't crash! The aircraft sustained over 800,000.00'dollars in damages but it's out there flying around today.
Next thought every time to try to limit freedoms of others we end up limiting our own and wasting time and energy fighting. Welcome the the drones ! cause you won't stop them even if totally outlawed they will still fly! The future is bleaker for the piloted plane than the UAV I'm afraid ......very afraid
"Still dreaming and hoping to die young at heart with a bar room story that will close the place"
Stevesbrother
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Return to Seaplane & General Aviation Advocacy & Regulatory Matters