Member Support

• Advertisement

Life Jackets & Survival Equipment

Share Safety & Training Tips With Fellow Instructors, Pilots + Students!

Re: Life Jackets & Survival Equipment

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:36 pm

In addition to being comfortable, these were the least expensive of these type vests that I found. Never had to use them, so I don't know how wonderful they are in real life :crazy: but the customer comments that I found were really good.
DELUXE VEST RS.JPG
Attachments
STD VEST RS.JPG
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby CFII » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:41 pm

As a poor swimmer over and in rough water offshore, the 35 #s bouyancy looks a lot more attractive....
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby BGH » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:22 pm

Here's Link to Mustangs website (providing I did it right) & this is the pfd that my passengers & I wear.

Daryl

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/professi ... country=23
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby kevinsky18 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:12 am

I would like to give a report on my Mustang vest purchase.

I have had a great deal of difficulty getting these vests delivered to me in Indonesia. Aircraft Spruce wanted $400 just for shipping as they were deemed hazardous goods. I thought we could get around this issue by removing the CO2 and I would buy new cartridges here in Indonesia.

We did this and the vest arrived but when they removed the CO2 they didn’t / couldn’t separate the beyonet attachment. This meant we had to order the full CO2 kit from north america instead of just buying a cartridge here.

In short it was a big headache and expensive. Mustang provided zero assistance with this issue.

Next time I will be looking for vests that take a standard CO2 cartridge that the yellow airline vests use as this is the most common. And hopefully the supplier will have a better overseas / hazmat shipping policy than Aircraft Spruce.

I do like the ones with the multiple pockets.
Seaplane Adventures
Flying the BC Rockies, NWT, Caribbean, Belize, Brazil, Africa, India, Singapore, Indonesia: Seaplane Leasing, Consulting and Training.
http://www.SeaplaneAdventures.ca
kevinsky18
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Location: BC Rockies, NWT, Caribbean, Belize, Brazil, Africa, India, Singapore, Indonesia

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:20 am

The ones that I have, have CO2 cartridges that are easy to remove. I do not remember the bouyancy, but I only use them in nice weather in water that is not all that far from shore and usually not that deep. The deluxe (can be had in yellow) with the extra pockets as well as the small "D" rings is great as a simple Fly Fishing Vest for me too.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby CFII » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:53 pm

With the extra cold water here since November, in addition to floatation, started wearing an XXL wetsuit top with front zip and beavertail just before water taxi for test flights. It's just large enough to step into with regular cold weather clothes already on. Figure to reduce cold water shock if a swim is provided after a test flight.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:30 am

That is a great idea as they provide both warmth and some bouyancy. I have worn Dive Skins under my clothes when flying on the water in the fall and early spring. I will have to remember to consider my wet suit jacket, though I think it might be a little restrictive regarding movement.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby CFII » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:16 pm

RKittine wrote:That is a great idea as they provide both warmth and some bouyancy. I have worn Dive Skins under my clothes when flying on the water in the fall and early spring. I will have to remember to consider my wet suit jacket, though I think it might be a little restrictive regarding movement.

Movement is why I went with an XXL for the over-suit, when I'm really an XL and it's not bad, the 2 shoulder harness straps are the most restrictive elements, mostly for reaching the water rudder's handle on the floor -gonna have to bunje that thing up closer to reach or something.

For cold water, it would be even better to put on a tight wet suit jacket over bare skin like you do but, for convenience, that's where I draw the line for now.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:06 pm

A dry suit would be nice, but you would probably never get out of the plane during an accident. :elephant:
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby CFII » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:08 am

RKittine wrote:A dry suit would be nice, but you would probably never get out of the plane during an accident. :elephant:

If there was a snug fitting, comfortable dry suit, that could be inflated a bit when dunked in the cold water....
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:52 am

Have you ever put on a Dry Suit? Evewn with no air pumped in, they are a nusance. I probably should manually blow mine up before the start of the season and both check the bladders as well as the bouyancy. Such be part of the annual on the plane I think since if the bladders don't hold air from age, they of course will be useless.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby CFII » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:05 pm

RKittine wrote:Have you ever put on a Dry Suit? Evewn with no air pumped in, they are a nusance. I probably should manually blow mine up before the start of the season and both check the bladders as well as the bouyancy. Such be part of the annual on the plane I think since if the bladders don't hold air from age, they of course will be useless.

That's why I said IF.
Seems like there would be a market for a light weight, comfortable dry suit meant to be worn uninflated until needed in the water but, maybe that's impossible.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:58 pm

Probably too small a market, but some of the new space age dive skins are actually pretty warm compared to 3 or even 6 mm neoprene
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby psafran » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:48 pm

RKittine wrote:Probably too small a market, but some of the new space age dive skins are actually pretty warm compared to 3 or even 6 mm neoprene

Silk underwear, then tight poly-pro, topped by layers of wool or synthetic.

I dug out some old paddling stuff this past Fall when the Citabria was still on the water at Thanksgiving.

Worked great in my crazier, younger days watching rocks go by, upside down, in a kayak while sharing the upper Hudson with mini icebergs in April.
Paul
psafran
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:15 am

Sounds Toastie Paul. The one advantage of the newer dive skins is that they provide some bouyancy and certainly not negative bouyancy as wet wool might, while providing the retention of body heat.\, all without the bulk.
Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby markwood » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:22 pm

The path is forming in the right direction. The kayak type dry suit, is a good way to go, with a little poly underneath, it makes a very nice warm bubble as long as you don't plan on being in 35deg water overnight. I use a dry jacket without the pants for most kayaking as well as cold weather flying around water, moves well and I feel some degree of safety. Caution, a kayak type dry suit with water inside is dangerous, heavy and no protection from the cold.
markwood
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby CFII » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:58 pm

Thanks for mentioning the kayak dry suit, I didn't know they existed.
It sounds great to have breathable as well as watertight, except for the watertight seal around the neck -when test-flying, my BP is already high enough!
I think I'll try one anyway, because I sweat like a pig when I put the oversized wet suit on over clothes.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby CFII » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:50 pm

markwood wrote:The path is forming in the right direction. The kayak type dry suit, is a good way to go, with a little poly underneath, it makes a very nice warm bubble as long as you don't plan on being in 35deg water overnight. I use a dry jacket without the pants for most kayaking as well as cold weather flying around water, moves well and I feel some degree of safety. Caution, a kayak type dry suit with water inside is dangerous, heavy and no protection from the cold.

Why would a properly worn kayak dry suit have water inside? In a water filled state, wouldn't a life jacket still be effective?
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:10 pm

I have found that any dry suit that leaks water inside can be dangerous as you get out of balance and weighted down as they will hold a lot more water in than a wet suit.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby CFII » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:57 pm

RKittine wrote:I have found that any dry suit that leaks water inside can be dangerous as you get out of balance and weighted down as they will hold a lot more water in than a wet suit.

Were you using a life jacket at the time ?
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:35 pm

I had a BC on.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby CFII » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:21 am

RKittine wrote:I had a BC on.

How do you think a dry suit that was shipping water would do as survival gear if an offshore grade life jacket was worn?
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:55 am

Water in the wet sut, might actually kee you warmer as your body temperature warms it un and he cuffs hold it in. A diving Dry Suit is pretty heavy, so I guess it would depend on how loose the dry suit was (amount of water allowed in), how much other you have on and the bouyancy of your flotation gear. My BC can float a lot, depending on how much I inflate it.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby akavidflyer » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:29 pm

I know that Mustang makes dry flight suits. We are required to wear them here when flying the choppers to the platforms. In warmer water it is a bit of overkill, but when you are flying ice laden waters, the extra few minutes they give you are priceless when it comes to waiting on rescue. Last time I checked, they were around 1400 a pop.

:cheers:
Leonard Perry
Avid C Heavy Hauler
Avid Amphibian

"I would rather die trying to live, than live trying not to die"
akavidflyer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby CFII » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:57 pm

akavidflyer wrote:I know that Mustang makes dry flight suits. We are required to wear them here when flying the choppers to the platforms. In warmer water it is a bit of overkill, but when you are flying ice laden waters, the extra few minutes they give you are priceless when it comes to waiting on rescue. Last time I checked, they were around 1400 a pop.

:cheers:

How is the sweat/comfort factor in those dry flight suits?
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

PreviousNext

Return to Seaplane/ Aviation Safety, Safety Events & Survival Topics