Member Support

• Advertisement

NTSB Comments on Alaskan Seaplane Accident

Share Safety & Training Tips With Fellow Instructors, Pilots + Students!

NTSB Comments on Alaskan Seaplane Accident

Unread postby KeithSmith » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:48 pm

KeithSmith
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Re: NTSB Comments on Alaskan Seaplane Accident

Unread postby kevinsky18 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:57 am

1,650 flight hours including 560 floats.

That's very low time, especially for Alaska. 500 floats usually means you're still flying a 185 maybe a Beaver but definately not a turbine machine. It also doesn't say how much Kodiak time she had but if they are quoting 560 float time I'm guessing only a hand full of hours on the Kodiak, she was probably doing this solo to build up her time for insurance etc.

The floats on the Kodiak do feel a bit different than other floats. And there was a mention that her water rudders were down which on landing, if you have alot of rudder input, can cause you to vere sharply.
Seaplane Adventures
Flying the BC Rockies, NWT, Caribbean, Belize, Brazil, Africa, India, Singapore, Indonesia: Seaplane Leasing, Consulting and Training.
http://www.SeaplaneAdventures.ca
kevinsky18
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Location: BC Rockies, NWT, Caribbean, Belize, Brazil, Africa, India, Singapore, Indonesia

Re: NTSB Comments on Alaskan Seaplane Accident

Unread postby mjacobson7x » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:22 pm

Talked to one of the old timers at the department of interior this summer. He tells me that She would take no advice from him or others as to the high angle of attack it requires landing the Kodiak on Amphibs. She has a doctorent in Biology and would have no part in taking advice from some "old school" who has managed to live flying the water and Alaska for 30 plus years.

my 2 cents worth
mjacobson7x
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Return to Seaplane/ Aviation Safety, Safety Events & Survival Topics