Member Support

  • Advertisement
0

Glassy Water Landing Surprise......

Share Safety & Training Tips With Fellow Instructors, Pilots + Students!

Glassy Water Landing Surprise......

Unread postby psafran » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:41 pm

Glassy Water Landing Surprise......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWLWxEU0 ... ata_player


Paul Safran
Paul
User avatar
psafran
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:23 pm
Location: 5B2 - Saratoga Springs, NY

Re: Glassy Water Landing Surprise......

Unread postby akavidflyer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:53 pm

he started out doing it the right way landing next to the shore line on the island... then floated right on past it. Why would one not set up to land close to shore where you have a visual reference to the shoreline versus just feeling your way down in the middle of the lake. Granted, I have made a long landing set up on a 200 FPM decent but that was at night and it was pitch black and the scariest damn thing I ever did on floats. one that I swore early on to never do again at all costs!

:bc:
Leonard Perry
Avid C Heavy Hauler
Avid Amphibian

"I would rather die trying to live, than live trying not to die"
User avatar
akavidflyer
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:01 pm
Location: Soldotna AK

Re: Glassy Water Landing Surprise......

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:04 pm

I don't get it! Can't you look out the window and see if there is a wake-spray? That "step turn" he started could have been disastrous :shtf:
User avatar
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member
 
Posts: 1651
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:19 pm
Location: Marcy, New YOrk

Re: Glassy Water Landing Surprise......

Unread postby CFII » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:09 am

A seaplane CFI told me once a primary student of his landed smoothly on alpine glassy water and was down for a full minute before asking if they would ever touch down....
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Seattle Amphibion

Re: Glassy Water Landing Surprise......

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:45 am

Good point Tim, though I am not sure what the airplane was or what view toward the back that there is. I too was taught to go over a land mass or other point of reference for a LVR rather than next to it, if possible, but it did look like he was close enough to get the visual from it. Good video though to point out what we know and should always be thinking about. Probably best to do as originally taught and once on the water, pull the stick / yoke back with the power reduced to idle and get really almost stopped before initiating a step taxi or turn.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
User avatar
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 4784
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:02 am
Location: Manhattan and Sag Harbor, New York

Re: Glassy Water Landing Surprise......

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:10 am

There's some good learning in this video and I am glad its posted here! Thanks, Paul!
User avatar
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin
 
Posts: 5865
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:46 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Glassy Water Landing Surprise......

Unread postby psafran » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:30 am

Think he said it was a SeaRey

I'd say he was fundamentally too complacent.
Familiar plane, familiar water, heading to camp.

I guess I'd have made the sandbar my "go around"oint, but, then again,
he thought he was down.

Real eye-opener, glad he was honest enpugh to post it for others.

Paul
Paul
User avatar
psafran
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:23 pm
Location: 5B2 - Saratoga Springs, NY

Re: Glassy Water Landing Surprise......

Unread postby CFII » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:28 pm

psafran wrote:Think he said it was a SeaRey

I'd say he was fundamentally too complacent.
Familiar plane, familiar water, heading to camp.

I guess I'd have made the sandbar my "go around"oint, but, then again,
he thought he was down.

Real eye-opener, glad he was honest enpugh to post it for others.

Paul


His honesty in posting it is admirable, I agree.

Note the part where he comments about it being the "smoothest landing" he ever made....

Often I've seen in flying and other things as well, if things seem better than normal, or easier than normal, often something has been overlooked. Trouble is, it's not always that way so it is harder to catch things being done improperly.

Heightened endorphin levels asscociated with the phenominal excitement of seaplaning and other activities affect judgement, both subtly and more blatantly. We can't allow ourselves to deviate from strict adherence to proper flying checklist tasks, no matter how much fun we're having as pilots.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Seattle Amphibion

Re: Glassy Water Landing Surprise......

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:14 pm

I would have to agree with CFII that when we engage in things that we love, the level of euphoria that we sometimes get, can put us in a position to do things that we would otherwise not want to do. In some cases experience and the subconsicoud will take over. Many may remember times driving when they had what appeared to be a short day dream and still maneuvered the car around a turn or through traffic.

In any case, I am a believer that a HEALTHY Fear of anything we do that is dangerous is good. I always said that if I did not somewhat fear riding my motorcycle, I would stop riding and sell it.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
User avatar
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 4784
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:02 am
Location: Manhattan and Sag Harbor, New York

Re: Glassy Water Landing Surprise......

Unread postby akavidflyer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:27 pm

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious don't live at all"

I'd take years off my life, before I take life off my years!

These three lines are my signature on my site and I live by them. Yes, I have respect for the air, and I know what can go wrong. No, I don't live in fear of it. When its my time its my time, once you have come to terms with that, enjoy life for what it is, when it is, and where it is.

With that being said... After I had an ohoh you can bet you butt that my first ten hrs or so back in the cockpit I was nervous and looking at every possible landing site as if I was going to have to stuff it in there at any given second. That was not the flying that I love or enjoy. If I had to live in fear of what I was doing, I would take up video games as a hobby and keep my front door locked.

:cheers:
Leonard Perry
Avid C Heavy Hauler
Avid Amphibian

"I would rather die trying to live, than live trying not to die"
User avatar
akavidflyer
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:01 pm
Location: Soldotna AK

Re: Glassy Water Landing Surprise......

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:27 pm

akavidflyer wrote:I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious don't live at all"

I'd take years off my life, before I take life off my years!

These three lines are my signature on my site and I live by them. Yes, I have respect for the air, and I know what can go wrong. No, I don't live in fear of it. When its my time its my time, once you have come to terms with that, enjoy life for what it is, when it is, and where it is.

With that being said... After I had an ohoh you can bet you butt that my first ten hrs or so back in the cockpit I was nervous and looking at every possible landing site as if I was going to have to stuff it in there at any given second. That was not the flying that I love or enjoy. If I had to live in fear of what I was doing, I would take up video games as a hobby and keep my front door locked.

:cheers:


we need to buy each other a beer someday

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:01 pm

Re: Glassy Water Landing Surprise......

Unread postby CFII » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:49 am

CFII wrote:
psafran wrote:Think he said it was a SeaRey

I'd say he was fundamentally too complacent.
Familiar plane, familiar water, heading to camp.

I guess I'd have made the sandbar my "go around"oint, but, then again,
he thought he was down.

Real eye-opener, glad he was honest enpugh to post it for others.

Paul


His honesty in posting it is admirable, I agree.

Note the part where he comments about it being the "smoothest landing" he ever (didn't) made....

Often I've seen in flying and other things as well, if things seem better than normal, or easier than normal, often something has been overlooked. Trouble is, it's not always that way so it is harder to catch things being done improperly.

Heightened endorphin levels asscociated with the phenominal excitement of seaplaning and other activities affect judgement, both subtly and more blatantly. We can't allow ourselves to deviate from strict adherence to proper flying checklist tasks, no matter how much fun we're having as pilots.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Seattle Amphibion

Re: Glassy Water Landing Surprise......

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:57 am

Maybe I should have stated it as a Healthy Understandings of the Risks and an awarness of what I need to do to minimize them. I am not afraid to fly or I would have given it up years ago when I stopped making money at it, but I treat it with respect. In any case, I still love it and enjoy it even if I am more careful then some.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
User avatar
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 4784
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:02 am
Location: Manhattan and Sag Harbor, New York

Re: Glassy Water Landing Surprise......

Unread postby akavidflyer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:08 am

cubdriver2 wrote:
akavidflyer wrote:I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious don't live at all"

I'd take years off my life, before I take life off my years!

These three lines are my signature on my site and I live by them. Yes, I have respect for the air, and I know what can go wrong. No, I don't live in fear of it. When its my time its my time, once you have come to terms with that, enjoy life for what it is, when it is, and where it is.

With that being said... After I had an ohoh you can bet you butt that my first ten hrs or so back in the cockpit I was nervous and looking at every possible landing site as if I was going to have to stuff it in there at any given second. That was not the flying that I love or enjoy. If I had to live in fear of what I was doing, I would take up video games as a hobby and keep my front door locked.

:cheers:


we need to buy each other a beer someday

Glenn


"A" ??? how about "A" increment of 12 or 24 to get started

:beer:
Leonard Perry
Avid C Heavy Hauler
Avid Amphibian

"I would rather die trying to live, than live trying not to die"
User avatar
akavidflyer
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:01 pm
Location: Soldotna AK


Return to Seaplane/ Aviation Safety, Safety Events & Survival Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests