Member Support

• Advertisement

2014 Warwick Fly-In

Share Safety & Training Tips With Fellow Instructors, Pilots + Students!

2014 Warwick Fly-In

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi All,

The dates have been set for the Warwick Municipal Airport (N72) Tube and Fabric, Classic and other Aircraft Fly-In. Classic Cars are also usually in attendance as well as a lot of classic old guys, like me. If you plan to attend, please drop me a note with contact information (E-mail and Cell Phone Preferred) and aircraft information, so that we can keep you advised of the plans and schedule.

The Fly-In is set for May 3rd with a Rain Date of Sunday May4th. Additional Information will also be posted on the Warwick Web Site starting in March. http://www.WarwickAirport.com

If it rains both days, then we will have, A "Walk / Run / Crawl / Drive / Bike / Hitch Hike or Bus - In" on Sunday the 4th, with lunch served in one of the hangers.

Our lake allows limited seaplane operations. If you would like to arrive by seaplane, please let me know so we can try to accommodate. Operations will be limited to one landing and then one take off during the event per scheduled seaplane. Dockage and Beaching will be available on the New York side of Greenwood Lake (North End), with transportation to and from the lake available at no cost.

If you would like to arrive and depart by Sailplane, please also let me know as we can have a tow plane available for aero tow departures.

Hope to meet some new friends this year.

Cheers, Bob

Here are a couple of pictures of the 2012 Event.

http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/pict ... albumPath=
Attachments
WARWICK 2014 FLY-IN POSTER.jpg
Click On Photo to Enlarge the Image
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: 2014 Warwick Fly-In

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:21 pm

I'm confused, is the lake at the airport available?

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:42 pm

Glenn,

Yes, the lake at the airport can be made available, but requires advanced permission. The reason for this is that the lake actually is owned by the municipality and does not allow gas powered boats on the lake, but SO FAR has not restricted seaplane use. Over the years a number of homes have been built around the lake. Our concern is if there is too much Seaplane Traffic, then they will complain and the town will officially ban seaplanes. So, we keep the amount of operations to a minimum. Right now an occasional seaplane on the lake is actually enjoyed by the residents. We also have a limited area where we can beach some seaplanes and no current docks. Since we close runway 26/8 for parking southwest of the intersection of 21R, we can put a few at the departure end of 26 on the shoreline.

Larger, noisier seaplanes can land at Greenwood Lake and we will provide transportation and can arrange a place to dock or beach if we know in advance.

If you would like to fly into Warwick with your J-4, just let me know. I will set you up. Marty brings his J-3 each season to put on and take off the floats. We restrict the number of seaplanes any given day as well as the type due to noise etc. Also, we only want one arrival and one departure per plane on any given day, again to keep traffic under control. Greenwood Lake is only a few miles South and in early May there are few boats, so seaplanes can play there doing multiple take offs and landings, giving rides etc.

We have inside plumbing in the Pilots Lounge and I should have a few cots in my hanger if you want to stay over.

Hope that helps end the confusion.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Sounds like we need an Advocacy group at your town meeting. I'll make some calls

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:15 am

cubdriver2 wrote:Sounds like we need an Advocacy group at your town meeting. I'll make some calls

Glenn

What would be better would be to organize a free flight day for residents around the lake. Contact every one of them by mail with a flyer and invite them to the fly-in and give them free rides. A seaplane would be preferable so they can experience it first hand, but lacking enough planes, land planes would suffice. I'd be willing to donate some rides in my 172 either way. As I said before, I expect I'll still be on wheels.
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks for the suggestion Tim. We have already done that a number of times. With the exception of one resident who owned a plane on the field, no one was interested. We also host the EAA Young Eagles once a quarter and invite the local residents as well as to our Tenant Appreciation Day each Fall.

As with most Non-Flyers that buy property next to existing airports they seem to always do it for the lower up front prices and the hope to get the airport shut down. Fortunately the way the property was left through probate to the Village restricts what the village can do and it would not make sense for them to ever shut the airport down and there is no financial gain for the village if they do.

The lake however is another story and since the houses have been built around the lake, there has been restrictions past. As I said, only electric motors can be used on any boats that are on the lake and there is some regular fishing that goes on especially during the weekends as the lake is stocked. So we need to worry about both complaints from any of the residents around the lake and any local residence that launch their little fishing boats at the village resident public launch.

Prior to the restrictions and the newer houses (used to be two cottages on the lake in the past), there was a C-172 and a J-3 on floats on the lake all season.

We would rather not take the risk of losing the rights we have now. So we are cautious. Other than Greenwood Lake, there is really no where to go locally with a seaplane, so we do not push it. There is also no dockage and moorings (other than short term anchoring is not allowed. Beaching ties up the arrival end of Runway 8.

This is not an advocacy issue, just a play smart issue.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:56 am

Bump.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby CFII » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:03 am

The Warwick Airport page opens for me but not the slide show link....
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:25 pm

Advanced weather looks good for Maty 3rd. I am trying to plan on space and food. If you are planning on coming, please let me know, here, by PM, by E-mail or by Text. Also, if coming on floats, I need to know in advance so we can coordinate.

Thanks Bob

Glenn?
Tim?
J.J.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:27 pm

I'm planning on being there on wheels. I'm also planning on getting out to Rochester to pick up those skis and wheels for you, Bob. I haven't even got the plane out yet, but I'm hoping to do that tomorrow. I don't think our runway is quite dry enough yet, but with this wind today it should dry out just in time to get rained on.
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:13 pm

Looking forward to finally meeting you Tim. Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:42 pm

RKittine wrote:Looking forward to finally meeting you Tim. Bob

Wait just a minute, I'm still waiting for lunch in Cooperstown?

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:15 am

Don't worry Glenn, you will get to buy me lunch in Cooperstown sometime in May.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:33 am

Looks like a NOGO for me again.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:34 pm

Tim while your out flying check out the Drone base up where the C130 used to hang

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:29 pm

Glenn, Your covered in you want to come on Floats. Just let me know so we can have fuel cans ready to fuel you, If you want, I could bring my Seaplane trailer too.

Jason, I will pick you up at the bus station.

Kline Kill, will you be on floats by a week from tomorrow? Maybe a good time to drop off the Cub for Bill.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:37 pm

Glenn, I've seen that. It's only a couple miles from where John Bibik keeps his plane.
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Warwick Fly In

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Sat May 03, 2014 7:29 am

Sorry, Bob. I won't be making it to the fly in. It rained all week here and the runway is too soggy. We'll have to meet at Cooperstown and get Glenn to buy lunch.
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby skimmerone » Sat May 03, 2014 3:40 pm

Just got back. 3 of us from Kline Kill in two planes. Missed you all. Nice flight down and back, and great lunch. Disappointing turnout, tho, probably the erroneous weather forecast as usual.
skimmerone
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Sat May 03, 2014 4:16 pm

Got there alittle late. Stopped at Rhinebeck to get carbon cub Joe. Was good seeing John, Marty and Bob. John was wearing his seaplaneforum shirt.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sat May 03, 2014 5:34 pm

OK Tim, sorry that you could not make it. The weather was not perfect, but it was nice. I am leaving in the morning for Louisville, KY, Memphis on Monday and Tuesday, Nashville on Wednesday and Chapel Hill Thursday through Sunday. Back in the area on the 12th. Maybe the next Saturday (3rd Right Glenn) for the fly in Breakfast at Cooperstown or June 14th at Kline Kill for their EAA Breakfast.

We have a nice day today. There were planes in from Eastern Massachusetts, Upstate New York, (Kline Kill and a Friend and Skimmer One were in attendance.) New Jersey, Connecticut, Cooperstown, New York and Easter PA. When the pictures are pulled together I will post some and they will go up on the Past Events portion of the Warwick Web Site.

Based on upstate weather reports and late cancelations for two regulars from Long Island, I changed the plans regarding food and just kept ordering Pizzas as needed. Assorted Chips, Cole Slaw, Potato salads and a variety of drinks seemed to keep everyone satisfied.

Good to see everyone, especially Glenn coming down from Cooperstown and finally meeting John with his superb Skimmer.

Hope to see you all and more during the rest of the Fly In season and next year.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplane/ Aviation Safety, Safety Events & Survival Topics