Member Support

• Advertisement

Accident Docket Opened - Caravan Crash AK

Share Safety & Training Tips With Fellow Instructors, Pilots + Students!

Accident Docket Opened - Caravan Crash AK

Unread postby jjbaker » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:05 am

The National Transportation Safety Board opened the accident docket Friday for the Nov. 29, 2013 crash of a Cessna 208B near St. Mary's, Alaska. Of the 10 people on board, the pilot and three passengers were killed, and six passengers sustained serious injuries. The aircraft was operating under Hageland Aviation Services, Inc., doing business as ERA Alaska (now Ravn Connect), according to the NTSB's reports.

The aircraft was on a scheduled commuter flight in night instrument conditions from Bethel to Mountain Village and Saint Mary’s. In the NTSB investigation, a passenger said the about 30 minutes into the flight, the airplane entered thick fog. The airplane was picking up ice, and about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of ice had accumulated on the lift strut. The Cessna crashed into the top of a ridge about one mile southeast of the St. Mary's Airport. In May 2014, the NTSB issued an urgent safety recommendation to the FAA (PDF) as it had investigated a series of accidents since 2012 for flight operators owned by HoTH, Inc., including Hageland Aviation.

Source: AVweb

Extra Link To NTSB Recommendation Letter
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Re: Accident Docket Opened - Caravan Crash AK

Unread postby TriPacer » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:56 pm

I wonder if the icing was known beforehand? I don't like to judge, but if it was, probably should have delayed the flight?
TriPacer
Owner Of The Force
From Minnesota, where men strangle bears and children fly helicopters!
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:54 pm

Unfortunately the whole reported icing is something like crying wolf. Just about every IFR filing I have had usually comes with "Possible Icing" or something like that just to cover themselves. If every time ATC warned there was Possible Icing, most flights would not take off ever.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby TriPacer » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:42 am

Makes sense - I know next to nothing about IFR so it's all learning to me.
TriPacer
Owner Of The Force
From Minnesota, where men strangle bears and children fly helicopters!
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby CFII » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:41 pm

The only usual exclusion to IFR flight FAR-wise is Known Icing, unless equipped with a K rated aircraft for known icing. They can predict possible icing all day long and any otherwise IFR equipped plane can check it out but, if it's a recent PIREP for verified icing, then it's a no go, I've heard for about an hour they consider the PIREP valid....
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Return to Seaplane/ Aviation Safety, Safety Events & Survival Topics