Member Support

• Advertisement
SeaBear Aircraft

Something to think about if the plane flips

Share Safety & Training Tips With Fellow Instructors, Pilots + Students!

Something to think about if the plane flips

Unread postby gear » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:55 pm

I guy I know flipped his bird on takeoff this spring in a remote lake. A T storm was bearing down on them and he was trying to get out before it hit. The wind caught him on the take off slide and flipped him. Despite having a survival kit in the tail, once all four passengers got out, they were all too cold to try and swim under, get in the plane, and grab the kit.
The group swam to shore and fortunately one of them smoked and had a bic lighter. They started a fire and were rescued the next day.
My personal choice is to keep my life jackets and survival gear in my float compartment. I'm thinking it's easier to get in there than to be searching for it in the back of the plane. (I'm not advocating to not wear personal floatation devices in the plane, I just have a thing against it - paranoid about catching the auto inflation while trying to get out of the cockpit)

Anyway - the incident has driven me to carry the basics on me - fire start device and a knife, and I'm trying to figure what else to carry. Just thought I'd pass this story on.

Garth
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Something to think about if the plane flips

Unread postby KlausNW » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:33 pm

The one thing that I put high on my "On-Me-Items" list: Heavy duty tight ziplock bags. If you can remember to put your cell phone and a transceiver in them you'll be way ahead. An aircraft radio is good but on the coast a marine radio has proven to be better. Channel 16 has a lot of listeners and many are closer by then you think.

:attack:
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:39 am

Good idea about the Marine handheld. I never thought to throw mine in the plane.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:51 pm

A number of years ago the FAA in our area decided to sponsor survival training classes. These classes consisted of eating grubs and roots to flashing a mirror. Once the class concluded they asked for comments or questions, One of the old bold pilots asked "why did we invent all these communication devices and helicopters?" "I don't want to survive , I want to get home".

I kinda agree with him. Most pilots have outdoor experience one way or another and can make do with whatever resources they can find. If there is injuries you don't want to do surgery with a buck knife you just want someone to come get everyone.

One other little tip, have the phone number to a local helicopter operator in your cell phone. Do not wait for the Coast or National Guard to show up and rescue. We have had a number of dramatic rescues by the Coast Guard in Alaska that could have been just a simple land, load and fly to the hospital but instead turned into a rescue by the book. Sorry to say, the "By-The_Book" procedures can be more risky and time consuming then just common sense.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:25 am

Klaus , having been a member of a rescue team and team leader Iread your above statement about using local resources whatever they maybe. I COULDNT AGREE MORE!!! Whatever gets the injured to the hospital or care first is the best. The system that uses the least resources, the most common sense and gets results is what I'm for!
"Still dreaming and hoping to die young at heart with a bar room story that will close the place"
Stevesbrother
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby gear » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:41 am

Stevesbrother wrote:Klaus , having been a member of a rescue team and team leader Iread your above statement about using local resources whatever they maybe. I COULDNT AGREE MORE!!! Whatever gets the injured to the hospital or care first is the best. The system that uses the least resources, the most common sense and gets results is what I'm for!

X2. My first call will be to the local bush / float operator. If I'm in dire shape, he can call medical people if necessary but he would get me out a lot quicker if I'm able to fly out without serious medical attention. If my body is all screwed up and can't fly out in a float plane, again I can tell him and he can get a helicopter in for me. He has a history of being in the air within 15 mins of the call to come get you so that's what I want.
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplane/ Aviation Safety, Safety Events & Survival Topics