Member Support

• Advertisement

SeaWings

Teaching & Learning Techniques, Study & Practice.

SeaWings

Unread postby Dmontgom » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:30 pm

I looked at FAA's website at
http://www.faasafety.gov/WINGS/pub/learn_more.aspx to find information about the SeaWings Program. There appears to be nothing there. To qualify for a SeaWings level, are the flying tasks identical to regular Wings requirements, or are there flight requirements specific to seaplanes ? Is this documented somewhere ?

I just talked to an instructor in Michigan who told me SeaWings was abolished in 2011.SPA staff tells me it still exists and I see people listed in the latest Water Flying magazine as qualifying for SeaWings.

Are there any seminars/workshops related to Seaplane flying that qualify for Wings Credit ? Does the Gleim SeaPlane refresher qualify for Wings credit ? I have three ground school training items that qualify for reguilar Wings. Are they applicable to SeaWings, as well ?
Dmontgom
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Re: SeaWings

Unread postby CFII » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:21 am

The FAA did abolish the SeaWings by that name only. Now you can do specific tasks for seaplanes for each of three levels, each with a different set of wings which are the same style for both land or sea pilots. I'm trying to get them to make special wings for seaplane participants but they haven't done so yet.

Seminar qualification is VERY liberal as long as they relate to flying, so you probably just need to complete the TASKS for your level which, if planned out in advance with you CFI, can be flown through rapidly if you are adept. There is no longer a mandatory 3 hours flight time as the old program had.

Locate a seaplane instructor that works regularly with the new program and they can get you headed in the right direction on the web and in flight.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:46 am

I held Master Seawings (some of the first ones issued according to Dr. McManus) some time ago in 2010...
At the time I did mine, the FAAST catalog spelled out what had to be done to get them.

Applications were sent directly to the SPA from the FAA claim page, which then took almost 10 weeks to accomplish.
FAA blamed SPA, SPA wasn't sure how. The Wings were definitely available. No certificate was available.
I didn't know the FAA had abolished them again, but it would make sense, as demand is low and drama to find someone serving the wings must be high.

Regular Wings, Basic/ Advanced & Master (shown) are sent by Avemco, which by the way does an excellent job NOT bothering participants with advertising. I am not sure why the Wings program is now serviced by private industry/ non profits, but someone gets to save a buck. Always thought the old wings looked better. I was a "collectemall" junky so that display case has a price tag attached to it.

Back in the day, I sent the picture of the wings to SPA (there wasn't a picture to show) and asked kindly to credit the picture to seaplaneforum.com :lol:
That couldn't be done under any circumstances, so from what I learned, the picture wasn't published.... ;)

Right smack in the middle of my little FAAST Collection.... the one with the little red plastic diamond.

IMGP2517.JPG

Don't ask about the Presidential plaque shown in the picture. I found it a few months ago again... :lol:

;)
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:28 am

I like the bright white one up in the top left corner the best. :lol:
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:49 pm

Ths Star of Flash Unit!
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:01 am

Tim,

Would you like one? You've certainly fulfilled all the requirements for a bright flashy star to be awarded to you. I could even make up a fancy certificate.
Just don't mention FAA Wings on your resume, you'll never get a job if it says FAA on anything... cuz everyone will think you're a mule... :lol:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby ZPilot » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:00 am

Thanks for the discussion about the SeaWings program. I wanted to bump this thread back up.

At this time, (Apr2014), it is very difficult to find any relevant information about the program.
Links provided here http://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/onlineresources.aspx?categoryId=66&masterId=3 are coming up as dead.

Can anyone summarize what grades of certification are there, and what is required for each?

THanks,

Nathan
ZPilot

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:01 pm

Wings Manual:
https://www.faasafety.gov/documents/WINGS_Manual.pdf

Advisory Circular On Wings:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_an ... 61-91J.pdf

The "Flight" (previously "Proficiency") topics are outlined and include ASES information.
Shown here is a list of several dozen knowledge topics you can choose to enroll in after you click on "Show Available Courses"

FAAST.JPG
FAAST.JPG (93.63 KiB) Viewed 2188 times

Summarizing, there are three levels (BASIC/ ADVANCED/ MASTER) and the number of repeats you have is presented by your phase.
At the time the ASES master wings had outlined activities you had to do, but this may now all be integrated... Some knowledge topics qualify for the 61.56 Knowledge part of a flight review, which can be cool if you're doing your flight review with someone who knows their way around the FAAST system.

Generally, the shebang is divided between "Knowledge Topics" & "Flight Topics" you'll need a certain amount of credits in both categories to get the wings.

Here you can find a list of Knowledge Topics: https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_catalog.aspx (those who are not free are marked)

Some of the courses you can enroll in will give you 1/2 a credit, some will do one full one.

The Seaplane Pilots Association is still listed amongst AVEMCO as a "Team Member", my record shows the following:

Seaplane Pilots Association
Sea WINGS Lapel Pin
Jason J. Baker (Airman)
Date Last Requested: 9/28/2010
Need at least a Current Phase of WINGS to request the Seaplane Pilots Association Sea WINGS reward

It is my understanding that you request the Wings through the FAAST portal, which in the olden days did not work because the FAA had no reliable way to get in touch with the SPA to get the wings sent out. I got all the other wings within a few weeks after requesting from AVEMCO. You do not have to be a member or customer of either team member to be entitled to those reward pins, IOW's they are sent out to anyone filling the requirements and requesting them. Of course you do provide your address and email address to the outfits, which is a way to get solicitations out. AVEMCO has been very good with no advertising and marketing stuff being sent, at all.

The FAAST website is extremely slow and sometimes you have to click on things and wait until they show up.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby ZPilot » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks for the insightful reply Jason.
Much appreciated!
:)

Nathan
ZPilot

Return to Seaplane Training & Flight Instructor Tips