Member Support

• Advertisement

50-Hour Seaplane, Mountain and Bush training courses-Canada

Teaching & Learning Techniques, Study & Practice.

50-Hour Seaplane, Mountain and Bush training courses-Canada

Unread postby 1234australia » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:52 pm

Hi,
I am looking to go over to Canada in September to do do a 50-Hour Seaplane, Mountain and Bush Pilot Floatplane Training Course. I am looking at two schools at the moment, Island coastal Aviation and Ocean Air Seaplane Training, and was wondering if anyone could give me any information on either.
Thanks heaps
1234australia
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Re: 50-Hour Seaplane, Mountain and Bush training courses-Can

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:45 am

Sorry I can't help, but I'm sure someone will know of them. I do hope that you let us know how that goes. It sounds exciting.

Welcome aboard!
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:48 am

Hi Liz,

Thanks for posting this here. I was going to refer you to our sponsor Kevinsky18 who would be the major go-to guy for me, when it comes to things like this.
Apparently, I didn't get a few memo's, but with a little bit of luck, one of our many Canadian friends may be able to get you set up.

Good luck in your endeavor!
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi 1234,

How are things down under? I used to run a division of TNT and spent a lot of time in Redfern and around your great country. (Though I can do without Cambra! :lol:

Is this the course of which you speak?

http://www.air-hart.com/training/bush_pilot_program.php

Cheers Mate
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby DHCdriver » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm not a big fan of the 50 hour course, I feel you will learn more hands on float flying from expierenced drivers doing there every day routine. One thing that I see a lot of is on job adds is that they ask you if you have any mountain time( of course for coastal flying) and if your from the praires, where would a guy get that expierence. So the 50 hour course would help in that respect. I don't know your age, but a lot of young fellows start on the docks and learn the business of fuelling, docking and loading and eventually leads to a check out, which would give you a free float rating and possibly a great dream job. Good luck in your travels. DHC
DHCdriver
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby 1234australia » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi guys thanks for your help I have decided to go with ocean air to do my 50 hour course and they are also going to help me convert my licence to a Canadian CPL. I am happy to work on the ramps as well to begin and have decided to do the 50 hour course to give me some experience bush flying. Any other tips or information or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
1234australia
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:01 am

Look forward to hearing what your experiences were. Have fun. Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby DHCdriver » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:50 pm

1234australia wrote:Hi guys thanks for your help I have decided to go with ocean air to do my 50 hour course and they are also going to help me convert my licence to a Canadian CPL. I am happy to work on the ramps as well to begin and have decided to do the 50 hour course to give me some experience bush flying. Any other tips or information or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Well I hope it works out for you. My tip for you would be to stay positive and don't go beyond your comfort zone and you will have a long rewarding career. Best of luck. DHC
DHCdriver
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby CFII » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:34 pm

Real bush experience is obtained any way you can get it. Paying for a concentrated course can't hurt and if you can get dual that includes documented solo into very difficult landing sites it will be a big plus. A properly aimed cockpit video recorder is a cheap and fun way to provide undeniable proof and great personal viewing in later years -the new ones have so much memory that they can be left running for hours and capture almost everything on fisheye lens.

Any operator is going to be very cautious of a new hire unless references are very strong from an experienced bush pilot. Alaskans in particular want "Alaskan" experience due mainly to weather and compass/dead reckoning navigation issues, the landing sites are no more difficult than anywhere else, in fact often easier because of generally less runway obstructions.

Expect to start out flying easy stuff (if you get to fly at all....) until confidence is built up by everyone involved.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby DHCdriver » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:30 pm

CFII wrote:Any operator is going to be very cautious of a new hire unless references are very strong from an experienced bush pilot. Alaskans in particular want "Alaskan" experience due mainly to weather and compass/dead reckoning navigation issues, the landing sites are no more difficult than anywhere else, in fact often easier because of generally less runway obstructions.

Expect to start out flying easy stuff (if you get to fly at all....) until confidence is built up by everyone involved.

I agree 100%, it's not an easy road. If you give 125% all the time you will impress your employer. Ask if you can borrow a POH from each airplane and learn that aircraft inside and out. That really impresses the bosses. Don't be a know it all, ask lots of questions every chance you can. As your career progresses, you will always remember your first flying job. Again fly safe and good luck. DHC
DHCdriver
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby wardamneagle » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Personally I gained float experience by instructing on floats. I did this for a year and by the end of that year I had enough float time that I got 2 different job offers to fly floatplanes up in Alaska. If you have your CFI rating you may want to look into this route
wardamneagle
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby 1234australia » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:21 am

I don't have my instructor rating but also am looking at getting my MIFR as well after this course as well.
1234australia
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby JILogan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:23 am

I am 45, Australian / U. S. citizen and just about to finish my CPL here in Australia. I would like to go to Canada and do a 50 hours float training course next year in April. By that time I will have CPL ME CIR. I already have tail wheel and aerobatic endorsements. Currently I have 260 total, 90 PIC, 70 TW. 15 Aero. By April I will have at least another 73 total with 45 PIC. I will probably also pick up an additional 50 or so as paid PIC for the Shark Patrol.

Would any of the float plane trainers hire me for the rest of the season after my training or is that an impossibility? I'm happy to do dock work and I can wield a mean broom. I'm also a Registered Nurse. The problem is, as I've been told, that there is absolutely zero chance of getting a floats job in Australia with less than 500 hours on floats. Getting my floats rating is the last investment I can make in Aviation before getting regular work.

Thank you in advance even if it's just to confirm that I am insane :crazy:
JILogan
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:05 pm

Well... You are insane ! But you're in the right place for the type of insanity that you currently suffer from. I've been in aviation for my whole life and the only thing I can promise is that there are no guarantees and that timing is everything. If you do it cause you love it and are willing to sacrifice everything even on the slightest of chances, well it it might work out, but even if it doesn't its been a hell of a ride. The more skill sets you possess the better chance you have of success. However many of the hour restrictions are insurance company restrictions but if you're not afraid to work - pushing brooms, cleaning aircraft or whatever it takes while smiling ... Well then anything is possible ... Good luck !! And don't worry about the insanity .... I've made a hell of a living out of it !
"Still dreaming and hoping to die young at heart with a bar room story that will close the place"
Stevesbrother
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby JILogan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:51 am

Thanks for that, Stevesbrother :-) I'm ready and willing to work I just can't get a straight answer from the Canadian Immigration website about my rights to work there based on my age. Would I qualify as 'Crew,' 'Student,' or useless old fart? I'm still going to go even if I have no work rights at all in Canada. The cost of the 50 hour courses are better than a hire and fly here in Australia and, as you said, the skill sets gained are incomparable.

Have you or anybody got a suggestion of the school I should go to? I've been leaning towards Air-Hart because of their association with Kenn Borek. The missus has given her seal of tacit and trepidatious approval for this craziness based on her dream of me getting a job in the Maldives.
JILogan
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:04 pm

Your reasoning sounds logical to me and if you've got the missus approval .... federal, state , and international approval should be a piece of cake! Maldives was always appealing to me too! And I've heard they have hired lots of Aussies. Good luck and have fun. The only difference between adversity and adventure is attitude, sounds like you've got the right attitude.
"Still dreaming and hoping to die young at heart with a bar room story that will close the place"
Stevesbrother
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Return to Seaplane Training & Flight Instructor Tips