Member Support

• Advertisement

Controls: Both hands or just one?

Teaching & Learning Techniques, Study & Practice.

Re: Controls: Both hands or just one?

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:21 pm

A flight review would be the debriefing after the instructional flight and no annotations are made in the logbook. There is no flight review, per se.

Instructors in Europe frequently keep a "ding" log to point little kahoohoos out to the student, after the flight, but also to have written record of the pilots habits under critique. Let me guess, your FI was a airline jockey who was used to CRM and heavier iron during departure and after V1 or during landings?

Last edited by jjbaker on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ...better wording...
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby Float Pilot » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:26 pm

Yes, non-conformist thinking is not their forte.
Float Pilot
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby Buter » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:11 pm

Float Pilot wrote:Yes, non-conformist thinking is not their forte.

Indeed. Airline pilots showing any traits of individuality are drawn and quartered as a message to the rest of the line. Funnily enough, and perhaps JJ's point, this is the exact sort of pedantic discussion you might hear at a flag airline's training meeting.

With the exception of CRM, which is now assessable (WTF?), a check ride (sim evaluation) can be scored simply by the numbers; ie, within 10kias of selected speed, 300' of altitude, acceptable localizer and glideslope tracking, never below Vref, etc... As said before, pass/fail. Anything else is simply a debrief point.

FWIW, the hands thing comes down to personal preference and common sense. Your hands need to be on the controls required at the time. If you have the taps set for a constant power, both hands on the wheel. If you are actively adjusting your power then, unless you are flying by some sort of telekinesis, you will need a hand on whatever makes the noise. Trying to land my current type with only one hand on the wheel (full idle about half a second before touchdown) with the ridiculous weather we had over here the first two months of the year would not have ended well.

Cheers

Buter

edit - just watched the little clip. The captain isn't securing the thrust levers, he's got his hand there because AF must have a 'captain only' stop call after 80kias. Apologies if I'm just pointing out the obvious. (This made sense before JJ edited his post!)
Buter
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby BGH » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:32 pm

I've been flying for a bit now & use 1 hand on the column & 1 hand on the throttle.I've even had a few instructors over the years pull the throttle on take off if I don't have a hand on it - finally I got tired of this & started doing pre departure breifings before all instructional flights with a if it wasn't pre briefed then don't try it if you want to live.
I do have a retired 18 wheel flyer that flew with both hands on the control column except during take off & landing,but then he was in control of something that weighed about 870,000lbs more than me at take off.
Tim - if you were as altitudinally challenged as me then you wouldn't need to cover your eyes as I couldn't see over the dash anyway.

Daryl :anonymous:
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Previous

Return to Seaplane Training & Flight Instructor Tips