Member Support

• Advertisement

Float Rating in Florida

Teaching & Learning Techniques, Study & Practice.

Float Rating in Florida

Unread postby N787RR » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:58 am

All,

Would anyone be kind enough to share their thoughts/opinions on the "best" place to do the single-engine seaplane rating in Florida please? I know that there are a handful of places around central Florida, but recommendations/thoughts/opinions from experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
fbw380
N787RR
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Re: Float Rating in Florida

Unread postby RKittine » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:42 am

Most poeple seem to like Jack Brown's, but I have not done any Florida float plane flying since 1968 and that was in Melbourne, so there should be a lot of peple posting suggestions here. ee watching.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:28 am

Jones Brothers Seaplanes in Tavares:

Syllabus for the C180 in use: http://www.jonesairandsea.com/index.php ... &Itemid=73

JB.seaplanes@gmail.com - Please let them know that seaplaneforum.com referred you... ;)

http://www.flyfloatplanes.com/ Richard Hensch - Spoke with him a few years ago, very nice person and lots of experience.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby N787RR » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Anyone willing to pass-on first-hand experience of completing the float rating in Florida, please do share!
N787RR
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:36 pm

At Jones you will train for the SES Rating in a Side By Side Cessna 180, while at Browns, you will be in a Tandem Seating J-3. Both put out a lot of seaplane pilots.

If you live in Florida, there is a company out of Wiconsin that has seaplanes that they both train pilots in, but also are willing to rent solo, with a reasonable about of dual time in make and model and an insurance option. They also operate in Florida. One way to both get the rating and build time as there are not many places that rent solo. There are:

http://www.adventureseaplanes.com/

I have seen ads for reduced rate cross country time, twice a year when they move some of the equipment back and forth between their two locations, which is a way to gain the required make and model time at a reduced rate.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:33 pm

Brian Schanche - mentioned above operates in Minnesota and Florida, I believe on Lake Pierce.
He can be found here by Username "185Bushbird"

JJ
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby TriPacer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:51 pm

RKittine wrote:If you live in Florida, there is a company out of Wiconsin...

Contrary to the belief of many right and left coasters, Wisconsin and Minnesota are not the same state! :D

I trained with Brian and one of his instructors - it was a great time and great instruction, though I planned poorly and didn't finish before it got too cold. Brian is the only one I know of that will rent solo. I will definitely go back and finish up when I get around to it. I'd imagine the training is just as good in FL at Cherry Pocket.
TriPacer
Owner Of The Force
From Minnesota, where men strangle bears and children fly helicopters!
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:02 pm

OPs, Sorry about that - :oops: All you Mid-Westerner's look the same to us :lol: here in New York. Minnesota, Wisconsin ....... :lol: I think I have the Florida side of it correct though! :mrgreen:

They also used to have a fabric tail dragger on wheels for part of the year doing tailwheel endorsements I believe and then also on floats and available for rent at a lower rate per hour, but I no longer see it listed on the web site.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby TriPacer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:55 pm

I know he's been selling off a bit of the fleet. Maybe that was one of them.
TriPacer
Owner Of The Force
From Minnesota, where men strangle bears and children fly helicopters!
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:57 pm

With the amount of interest in LSA these days, that is one of the reasons I want to get anouther LSA back on Floats.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby gear » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:42 pm

I was trained by Brian (adventure seaplanes) in cherry pocket. It was a great experience. They had a trailer for me to stay in and I really enjoyed it. Brian knows his stuff and has a lot of experience. I would definitely recommend

Garth
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jb@spb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:53 pm

My name is Rob Galloway (the new manager at Jones Brothers). We would love to be of any help that we can for your SES rating. We are located in Tavares, America's Seaplane City. We can do training in a 180 or JA12. Let me know how I can help.
Thanks - Rob
jb@spb
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:49 pm

Rob, welcome aboard. One thing you can do to help is keep posting on our forum. We need input from guys like you who see a lot of stuff that the rest of us never get a chance to experience.

Fill us in on Tavares and your business. There are a LOT of people we never even hear from that could be a big benefit to all of us. Please join in.

I'm going to make it a priority to come to Travares while I'm in Venice for the winter this year. I haven't been there since the year before it actually got fully renovated. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby skimmerone » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:20 pm

Tavares is one of the nicer areas in Florida. Close to suburbia, but very laid back. Old town that has been rejuvenated but not spoiled. We stopped last April after our Lake convention and stayed overnight. Delicious meal at the Restaurant overlooking the Lake and the SPB. Highly recommend a visit.
skimmerone
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby N787RR » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:01 am

Everyone - thanks very much for all the info, much appreciated.

It does seem like there are a handful of great places to go, which makes for a difficult decision!

Thanks again all.
N787RR
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby jb@spb » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:51 am

You guys definitely need to make a visit to Tavares. I just moved here and am amazed at what they are doing to promote seaplane flying and their downtown. This place is really growing, but in a beautiful way that keeps the small town, downtown feeling and preserves the waterfront. It's a great little place to be!!!
jb@spb
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby 0522 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Received my seaplane rating at "Jack Brown's" from son of Jack, Jon, in May 2010. They are located in Winter Haven, Fl. Professional, family owned and operated business. During the day and a half course I completed 67 water take offs and landings and have never had so much fun. I can't say enough good things about my time at Brown's Seaplane Base. My instructor, Morgan, has unfortunately moved on but while I was there several former instructors stopped by just to say hello to Mr. And Mrs. Brown. They are rock solid people operating a rock solid business. I hope you have a super time! Mike Brown, Chattanooga, TN. I have no affiliation with "Jack Brown Seaplane Base" other than our last names are the same.
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby americanflyyer » Wed May 22, 2013 12:19 pm

Comes probably a bit late but anyways.

I got my SES at Brown's in November 2010. I had a great time flying the Cub and got a lot of water take offs and landings in. Even though the weather wasn't that nice for most of the time I completed the training within two days. I was very pleased with my instructor, Morgan, and we had a great time hopping lakes. The exam was conducted by Jon Brown, son of the business founder Jack (I did my MES check ride with him, too, btw).
americanflyyer
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby wardamneagle » Tue May 28, 2013 4:56 pm

I got my rating in 2011 at Brown's. I loved it so much I went on to instruct there for a year and a half. They are awesome people.

There are many others that are also awesome in the area. Jones Brothers and Adventure Seaplanes come to mine. I'm a little partial to Brown's and the cubs though ;)
wardamneagle
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby skimmerone » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Does anyone know of an experienced Thurston Teal instructor in eastern Massachusetts? Not for skimmerone.......
skimmerone
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplane Training & Flight Instructor Tips