Member Support

• Advertisement

Simplicity... No More Flight Tests Or Exams...

Teaching & Learning Techniques, Study & Practice.

Simplicity... No More Flight Tests Or Exams...

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:04 pm

A driver can hop in almost any car in the world and instantly understand the instrumentation and controls. The same cannot be said for airplanes, particularly those equipped with glass panels, but a California software engineer and pilot hopes to change that.

Stéphane Fymat founded Smartplane Inc. with the goal of making aviation simpler, and he’s busy writing code to match his flight display concept with available avionics.

“All the information the pilot needs, and only the information the pilot needs, should be fused and assembled,” Fymat said. He hopes to begin laboratory testing soon, followed by installation and flight testing in a standard light sport aircraft (LSA).

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2 ... P=News:S6T
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Re: Simplicity... No More Flight Tests Or Exams...

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:01 pm

Whats wrong with windows ?

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Ask Bill Gates... I think he's using Linux when he needs something done fast and reliably... :lol:

I guess its all going to be a whole bunch of people flying computer games in the future.
They'll make cellphones that allow people to never look up from their smart device when talking to someone. The two cameras will look at each other...

Damn. I wish I lived in the 50's when stuff was still real. Feels like we're going to be part of a big screwed up Matrix, soon.
The NTSB will be made up of computers and all it will do is investigate "computer glitches"

:trying:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:54 pm

And what happens when the electrical system fails. Goes back to that thread about the FAA saying we should practice hand flying more.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:09 pm

RKittine wrote:And what happens when the electrical system fails. Goes back to that thread about the FAA saying we should practice hand flying more.

The technological advances within the last two decades in General Aviation have been downright stunning and amazing, no question about it...
It all comes back full circle to creating systems dependency to operate a 172, an airplane that essentially flies and burns the same gas it did 50 years ago.

I remember being invited to fly a Corvallis TT in San Diego back a long time ago. Amazing airplane, except during the hour flight, the lady from Cessna who let me fly the $550K toy didn't quite understand that I didn't care for all the buttons and screens. I was too busy falling in love with the San Diego area and trying to put my wing on a golfer to see how tight this plane could turn... the plane put a FAT smile on my face, I just really didn't care for all the bells and whistles in it...

jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:18 pm

Here's what happens when electronics are smarter than the operator...

Woman drives 900 miles out of her way after GPS error

Put too much faith in technology and you may wind up in Croatia. A 67-year-old woman from Belgium learned that the hard way after she followed (faulty) directions from her GPS device.

The woman only wanted to go about 90 miles from her hometown of Hainault Erquelinnes, Belgium, to pick up a friend at the Brussels train station. Her GPS device sent her about 900 miles to the south before (during the second day of driving) she realized that something was amiss. It's unclear if she entered the address incorrectly or if the GPS was faulty.

Discovery explains that the driver, Sabine Moreau, stopped twice for gas, slept on the side of the road, and "even suffered a minor car accident" along the way. She told El Mundo that she wasn't paying attention.

I was distracted, so I kept driving. I saw all kinds of traffic signs, first in French, then German and finally in Croatian, but I kept driving because I was distracted. Suddenly I appeared in Zagreb and I realized I wasn't in Belgium anymore.

The lesson here: If you start seeing road signs in (multiple) foreign languages, pull over. You're probably going the wrong way.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:42 pm

I won't tell you my similar story (Actually more than one)
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby TriPacer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:19 pm

How on earth can you not do the math that says "I've been driving at 50 mph for 4 hours now. I've probably gone more than 90 miles".

Maybe it's the metric system conversion or something... :lol:
TriPacer
Owner Of The Force
From Minnesota, where men strangle bears and children fly helicopters!
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplane Training & Flight Instructor Tips