Member Support

• Advertisement

The misunderstood Cross-Over cable

Teaching & Learning Techniques, Study & Practice.

The misunderstood Cross-Over cable

Unread postby Float Pilot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:44 pm

CROSS OVER CABLE:
It does more than let you cross from one side of the plane to the other. Which is super handy all in itself....

1. It acts like a bumper to protect your propeller. Tree stumps, pier pilings, brush and tall grass will be deflected by the cable before it hits under prop. Thus giving you a couple seconds to kill the engine. Because the cable is in front of the prop arc.

2. Plus a tight cross-over cable gives you another reference to bore-sight your float's spreader bars. If the cable, and both spreaders are all level with each other, your floats are usually happy campers and will take off faster and fly straighter.

3. You can stand centered on the cable, hold the prop hub and lean backwards to take weight off the rear (aft) section of the floats when you are heel beached.

4. It lets you access your prop hub and engine compartment while floating.

5. You can place a piece of plywood between your spreader bar and cable so you have a floor of sorts for oil changes and your tools will be less likely to drop into the lake.

Some folks do not install them because they look funny.
Some folks can't get them tight and they have limp useless cables. Sigmund Freud would have a heyday with that...
Attachments
Cross over cable.JPG
Float Pilot
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Re: The misunderstood Cross-Over cable

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:22 pm

Thanks for posting this. Once I read it, it all makes great sense and yet it was nothing that I thought of on my own. Keep it coming. Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby CFII » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:41 pm

I laugh at the "looks funny" attitude some people have. I think they look funny trying to do things that require a cable when they don't have one....
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby Float Pilot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:18 pm

Plus it makes it a lot easier to keep a big Rainbow Trout on the line when you are drift fly-fishing from the floats.
Float Pilot
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby chrisbuck243 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:45 am

Great info. Thanks for sharing.
chrisbuck243
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BGH » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:57 pm

I never installed the front cable on my 185 on cap 3000D's.I've always called it a nut cutter.In all the years that the floats were boxed & checked for parallel we only used the 4 strut to float attach bolts & the cross references where the flying wires attached.
In year 32 of owning the same 185.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Float Pilot » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:27 pm

Some floats do not have the box wires. Due to my docking or beaching requirements when hauling clients, I often have to push off the beach and jump up on the cable near the center-line. Plus am always going back and forth around the front of the plane to help clients get in and out of the right door.

It does make a good brush bumper since it is ahead of the prop.
Attachments
2013-01-01 030 (1280x776).jpg
Float Pilot
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby akavidflyer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:23 pm

note to self.. when crossing the cable in front of a large crowd, do not forget that you have a clutch installed on your prop and it will spin freely ending in that wily e coyote blink blink, arm flap, jaw drop, deer in the headlights look followed very quickly by a large splash and huge roar from the crowd... not that I would ever do that, I think I saw a buddy do it once.... :D

:beer:
Leonard Perry
Avid C Heavy Hauler
Avid Amphibian

"I would rather die trying to live, than live trying not to die"
akavidflyer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:33 am

I do remember my SES CFI asking me to get to the other side and I do remember crawling through the cockpit.
Some experiences are not meant to be had. Falling on that damn wire is one of them @ 190 pounds living weight.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby Float Pilot » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:55 am

I am old and fat, and I have only fallen off the cable once. That was when I was filming a swimming moose as it swam across a lake.
I was not paying attention and stepped off the cable It nailed me in the family jewels and then I continued into the ice cold water. ( which helped the pain)
The other fellow in the cockpit did not help me get back onto the float because he was laughing so hard. He was not laughing so much when I got back up on the floats and threw him off.

JJ, did you leave Maine???
Float Pilot
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 am

I never fell off the cable, but did fall off the dock once and the floats more times than I want to admit.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:47 am

only way i know to pull thru the prop on a radial. keep it in good repair! falling in the water not bad but if youve got amphibs and it pops its a good fall from a beaver. the the wire also will whip and do some serious skin damage. Thanks to whoever came up with it !!!
"Still dreaming and hoping to die young at heart with a bar room story that will close the place"
Stevesbrother
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:06 am

after thought ... we didnt have them on the caravans and when youre trying to rig a mooring bridle by yourself in wind and current climbing up thru the cockpit and back down the other side is a dash worthy of the olympics. probably a fun spectator sport though.
"Still dreaming and hoping to die young at heart with a bar room story that will close the place"
Stevesbrother
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:06 am

Based on what is going on in East Hampton right now, if you are out here next summer, you may be getting a lot more water time in the Caravan. And in Sag Harbor rather than East Hampton, so maybe we will finally meet.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:39 pm

Hey Bob unfortunately I'm no longer with Shoreline I left to go back to corporate Iron Global Express out of KBED. Needed the pay for retirement years . Miss the float flying and the life style!! especially living on a sailboat in the islands in the winter. going out to fly friends widgeon in fl today and searhing for float plane for this summer. living up in New Hampshire now I'll have lots more time off We'll get together yet>
Stevesbrother
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Sounds like a plan.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplane Training & Flight Instructor Tips