Member Support

Signed up for SES training this summer

Teaching & Learning Techniques, Study & Practice.

Signed up for SES training this summer

Unread postby Cary » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:53 am

2 1/2 years ago, I took a seaplane lesson in BC at the end of a too-short vacation. Marilyn and I spent most of the time on her brother's boat, cruising the Gulf Islands of BC, but I was able to sneak in a lesson on the day we left--and it was a blast.

We'll be heading to the Northwest the end of June, and we have a 36' Grand Banks chartered out of Anacortes for the week after July 4th. But we expect to arrive in the Northwest on June 30th. I've been in contact with Seattle Seaplanes, and yesterday I firmed up a training schedule beginning July 1st. With any luck, I'll take the checkride on July 3rd, and if not, then on July 13th or 14th after we get off the boat. But in any event, I expect to have a total blast!

Interestingly, their 172 trainer is about as close a clone to my LRB as is possible. Mine is a 63 P172D with a 180hp Avcon Lycoming conversion and CS prop. Theirs is a 64 172E with the same conversion. So there will be no issues of airplane familiarity.

Theirs: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x...e%2520shot.JPG

Mine: Image

Cary
Cary
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Re: Signed up for SES training this summer

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:49 pm

Cary, Good for You!!! You're going to get bit by the bug if you haven't already. FYI, my plane is also a 1964 model 172 with the 180 HP Lycoming conversion. I love it. I knew exactly what I wanted when i was in the market for it about 25 years ago. It took me two years to find it, but I was sucessful. I haven't been sorry since. It will do everything I need, plus it's easy and RELATIVELY low cost (nothing in aviation is inexpensive) to maintain., as you probably already realize.

I've got Aqua 2200's on it. There is an STC for them on your plane. My plane was the "mule" for getting that STC.
Attachments
20121027_094536.jpg
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Re: Signed up for SES training this summer

Unread postby CFII » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:35 pm

That's a great FBO and plane, I've used them both.
Lake Union will give you practice in congested boat traffic operations for sure.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Return to Seaplane Training & Flight Instructor Tips