Member Support

• Advertisement

Aviation Day Inspires Children

Teaching & Learning Techniques, Study & Practice.

Aviation Day Inspires Children

Unread postby KlausNW » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:47 pm

Aviation Day inspires children to fly

https://www.dvidshub.net/news/187398/aviation-day-inspires-children-fly

PIERRE, S.D. - Six aviators from Ellsworth Air Force Base participated in the Third Annual Aviation Day at the Discovery Center in South Dakota’s capital Jan. 27, 2016.

Throughout the day, the Airmen helped children build toy gliders and let them try on flight suits, helmets and vests to get a better understanding of what it’s like to be an aviator.

“It’s awesome that we get to do this as a part of our job,” Capt. Christopher Ross, 34th Bomb Squadron scheduling flight officer, said. “Many of us joined the Air Force and got into aviation because it’s what we love, and it’s great to be able to share our experiences.”

While many of the kids who attended haven’t been exposed to the military, Ross explained it was a great opportunity to get them excited about their country and the Air Force.

“I remember flying remote control planes when I was younger,” Ross said. “My passion for aviation started back then, and I’m sure it’s the same for many of these kids.”

More than 80 volunteers participated in the event, which welcomed 505 children, a record breaking number for the Discovery Center.

“I speak for all the other kids when I say that everyone is having fun,” said Ian Rounds, Aviation Day participant.

Ian explained his favorite part of the event was the different types of planes they were building.

“I would love to be an aeronautical engineer when I grow up,” Ian said. “I’m a big fan of planes.”

The program, organized by the Elks Lodge, aims to inspire children to dream big and learn more about the aviation community.

“Most of these kids have never seen a plane up close, let alone fly in one,” said Steve Wegman, Aviation Day chairman. “We are trying to show these kids that they can dream big and achieve those dreams.”

He explained this event provides children with an adventure they will remember forever.

“All I want is for these kids to walk away with an enjoyable experience,” Wegman said. “Hopefully we spark the imaginations of what these kids can achieve on the way.”

The record of attendance was broken at the 2016 Aviation Day at the Discovery Center in Pierre, S.D., Jan. 27, 2016. More than 580 children from school groups, churches and the boys and girls club showed up for the event organized by the Elks Lodge. (U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Rebecca Imwalle/Released)
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Aviation Day Inspires Children

Unread postby Bill Rusk » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:05 am

Thats GREAT.

As it should be.

Thanks Klaus

Bill
Very Blessed.
Bill Rusk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:32 pm

Trump stages dramatic flyby in massive private jet and offers children the chance to run through the plane

+ Trump's iconic Boeing 757 flew past an open airport hangar where 1,000 fans gathered, as the theme music from 'Air Force One' played loudly.

+ He offered children under 10 the chance to 'run through the plane' but joked that parents couldn't come because they'd damage it

Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:05 pm

:? :? :?

Has Trump completed the new background check? If not, someone at the EAA would like to have a word with him.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby KlausNW » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:34 pm

Open House for youth interested in aviation

Watch video interview with CAP Deputy Commander Edwards: http://www.kmvt.com/content/news/Open-House-for-youth-interested-in-aviation-367751421.html

TWIN FALLS, Id (KMVT/KSVT) The Civil Air Patrol located by the Twin Falls air port had an open house for youth ages 12-21 who are interested in aviation. The civil air patrol is an auxiliary unit to the U.S. Air Force and they have a cadet program every year that takes 5 weeks to complete. It is designed to introduce the youth to aviation, build character, leadership and physical fitness. The open house was at 7pm Thursday night. The deputy commander for the cadets’ Gayland Edwards spoke about how satisfying it is to be part of this program.

"You take an individual that don't know where they’re going, and they know where they've been and they don't want to be there. But you help mold that young life into a productive citizen, the rewards are just immeasurable. Especially when they come back and speak to you and lay it on you that says you know if it wasn’t for you or the program I wouldn't be where I am today," Edwards said.

At the end of the 5 week program and cadet gets promoted to airman and gets to fly an airplane with mission pilots.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BGH » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:14 am

I was a military brat,once a year dad's squadron held a family day in which almost every fixed & rotary wing aircraft that was capable of carrying passengers was available for a flight.I only missed dad's last family day in the Canadian forces because I wanted to spend it with my girlfriend.It wasn't until years later that dad told me he wished that I had attended his last flights in the military.
My lifelong love of flight begun on those squadron family days & I made sure that my dad was with me as often as I could when I went flying.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby 46cubby » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:42 am

I grew up in Leesburg Florida. We had a small airport and there was a local that owned a warbird. It was so loud when he would pass over our house. The first time I saw it I took off after it on my bicycle for the Airport. I did that for weeks always getting only to the fence then one day he said hey kid come over here and he let me through a gate ! I started hanging out there at his Hanger then one day down the Tarmac to the South of his I saw all these kids my age with uniforms on ! I asked him who they were and he told me the Civil Air Patrol and all about it. I joined almost immediately.

It took awhile to talk my folks into all the uniforms both blues and OD greens. I was already in the Scouts so I had to mow a LOT of lawns to pay for most of that. I got my first ride in an airplane , I think it was a 172 out of Kissimmee Fl. I wish I could recall the Warbird owners name I think he had a P-51 but that was over 40 years ago. We had Bivwacs in Ocala National Forest and it was a great thing.

My dad died about a year later and I had to quit all that but I joined the USAF the day I turned 18 in 1978. I have also been a member of the Polaris Squadron here in AK. Everyone of those folks are great people. Here in Birchwood they have a large Glider program that flies mostly directly above my house and the mountains of the Chugach. I have had a love of Airplanes all my life and they are responsible. :flying:
46cubby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplane Training & Flight Instructor Tips