Member Support

• Advertisement

New Section: Bush & Backcountry Flyers

Everything Off & On Unpaved Or Paved Surfaces...Or Even The White Fluffy Stuff!

New Section: Bush & Backcountry Flyers

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:40 pm

For those of you enjoying off airport (as well as on airport) operations anywhere in the world - while you're not on floats...

Let your fellow aviators know where your fly, share advocacy/ access related items concerning to unimproved and private strips and smaller airports.

Ski- Flyers welcome as well.

Simply start your own new topic and have fun!
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Re: New Section: Bush & Backcountry Flyers

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks Jason, This should be very rewarding. I would love to learn more about off airport land operations. Although I have landed on some grass areas, not designated as runways, they were used by others as runways and hence I know what to expect and how long, flat etc. that they were. I have a friend with a plane with big tundra tires and we would both love to go out and drop into the wild. Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:16 pm

Slowly gearing up to expand this forum to more than just a seaplane site. We have tons of members who fly all kinds of airplanes.
Time to get those we haven't reached yet, on board.

My thanks to AKBushwheel.com (Nicole Winn) for sending me the picture of the AKBW Cub landing!
Visit these guys, they've got some awesome stuff to play with!

I would further like to ask CFII (Seattle Dave) as a Lifetime Member of RAF to share any RAF specific advocacy & access issues.
As with seaplanes, the more people are aware of ongoing issues in this arena, the better for all of us.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:56 pm

You might want to link with these guys

http://www.backcountrypilot.org/forum/

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby L-19 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:28 pm

Nice addition, I'll be sure to add some ski topics/trips this winter.
L-19
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby CFII » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:51 am

Cool, great ideas.

My advice for all kinds of pilots, is to join the RAF at a high level, then do what they say.

jjbaker wrote:Slowly gearing up to expand this forum to more than just a seaplane site. We have tons of members who fly all kinds of airplanes.
Time to get those we haven't reached yet, on board.

My thanks to AKBushwheel.com (Nicole Winn) for sending me the picture of the AKBW Cub landing!
Visit these guys, they've got some awesome stuff to play with!

I would further like to ask CFII (Seattle Dave) as a Lifetime Member of RAF to share any RAF specific advocacy & access issues.
As with seaplanes, the more people are aware of ongoing issues in this arena, the better for all of us.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:59 am

L-19 wrote:Nice addition, I'll be sure to add some ski topics/trips this winter.

Thanks! ;)
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:51 am

I am about to take my skis in for their annual tune-up. Anyone have experience in putting a Ski Tube on their Floats? Glenn, you stay on the water into ski season. Any thoughts? :lol:

P.S. - Tim, Yes, I ski too .... :lol: :lol: Though I have never tried flying with skis. I have a set in my hanger for the Champ, we just need some decent snow this season and maybe Glenn will come down and teach me.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:28 pm

RKittine wrote:I am about to take my skis in for their annual tune-up. Anyone have experience in putting a Ski Tube on their Floats? Glenn, you stay on the water into ski season. Any thoughts? :lol:

P.S. - Tim, Yes, I ski too .... :lol: :lol: Though I have never tried flying with skis. I have a set in my hanger for the Champ, we just need some decent snow this season and maybe Glenn will come down and teach me.

The AK guys who ski remote slopes just lay them on the struts and bungee the skis to the jury struts. I've seen a mountain bike hanging from the handlebars hauled that way also.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Bush, Ski & Backcountry/ Specialty Flying