Member Support

• Advertisement

Trail lake trip

Everything Off & On Unpaved Or Paved Surfaces...Or Even The White Fluffy Stuff!

Trail lake trip

Unread postby akavidflyer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Last weekend we had our annual RC "Old timer" model fly in. This started over 30 years ago for one of our club members birthday fly in / birthday bash. The guy is a retired Alaska State Trooper that flew up here in the early 60s till he retired from the troopers in the 80s. I didn't get any pictures of the flight line after every showed up as my phone went dead and I didn't bring a charger.

The basic Idea of this contest is to fire the plane up (RC plane), you have 18 seconds to climb out then kill the engine and pray for lift someplace and see who can get the longest flight times. I took 1st place with the black and orange "playboy" with a time of 4:58... my personal worst times ever posted at the contest as there was NO wind blowing and I couldn't find lift anywhere, but it was good enough to beat out all the other 15 flyers.

IMG_2687.JPG

Leaving Soldotna headed for Trail Lake in Moose Pass.

IMG_2690.JPG

Starting into the mountains just off the end of Skilak Lake.

IMG_2693.JPG

Looking East at Upper Russian Lake

IMG_2696.JPG

Over fog covered Kenai Lake. Just last week the ice was pretty much gone off this lake. It was 60 degrees here in January! Unheard of in these here parts.

IMG_2702.JPG

My brothers Eflight pacer just prior to its maiden flight. She survived and flew VERY well!

IMG_2710.JPG

Sunrise the next morning. My head is a little foggy at this point as we seemed to have closed the bar down around 3 am after way too many shots. But it was fun sitting around listening to the live entertainment we brought with us and telling flying lies.

IMG_2716.JPG

The iced up contest winner with my Eflight Beaver and Avid in the back ground. Didnt take long standing out on the ice to get the cob webs outta my head and get back to flying models. unfortunately here is where my phone once again died and I didnt get any more pics of the rest of the day. When I get some from the other participants in the contest I will post them up. Another great weekend in the log books and we even managed to get an invite back to the lodge next year :lol:

To keep this relevant to "sea plane flying" This is the lake and dock area that you would be at if you were to come fly with http://alaskafloatratings.com
Leonard Perry
Avid C Heavy Hauler
Avid Amphibian

"I would rather die trying to live, than live trying not to die"
akavidflyer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Trail lake trip

Unread postby CFII » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:20 pm

I got into your float flying website and it's great . The float fling rules of thumb would be even better with a short reason why, to go along with each rule. Well done.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby akavidflyer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:30 pm

It's not my web site, just a guy that does float ratings off the same lake we were on. Vern is a pretty good guy though!
Leonard Perry
Avid C Heavy Hauler
Avid Amphibian

akavidflyer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby CFII » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:44 pm

I got into Vern's Lessons and am curious why he says don't use flaps during step taxi.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby akavidflyer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:32 pm

I am going to guess that when he is training the guys in the cub, the step taxi speed is not too damn far from take off speed. If you have the flaps in and a stray gust hits you, you can be flying before your ready for it. The lake he flys off of is in a valley in the mountains so you have squirrelly winds that can gust from any side at any time. I could be wrong, but that is the only thing I can come up with right now to answer your question.

:beer:
Leonard Perry
Avid C Heavy Hauler
Avid Amphibian

akavidflyer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby CFII » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:27 pm

Makes some sense, thanks. Step taxi is always hairy and step turns are the worst.
Some float planes with high lift airfoils I've seen take off quicker with NO flaps...
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby akavidflyer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:49 pm

Step turn on a lot of the creeks we go into are a requirement. Nothing like taking off in a turn dragging a wingtip hoping you don't slide onto the bank on the other side.

:beer:
Leonard Perry
Avid C Heavy Hauler
Avid Amphibian

akavidflyer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby skimmerone » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:05 pm

I instruct mostly in Lakes. My training insists on keeping the weight on the hull when step taxiing. When you are ready for takeoff, get to a higher speed and put the weight on the wings. If you are step taxiing at high speeds be very careful, as you are getting near the speed of flight and the slightest misuse of the controls can cause all sorts of unwanted results.
skimmerone
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:00 am

When I was checked out in the 7BCGC I was taught to keep the weight on the floats and not to use the flaps becasue of the added lift. (This is assuming that you are step taxiing to get some where annd not necessarily for a take circular take off in a confined space when the added lft is a benifit.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby chrisbuck243 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:28 am

Awesome pictures. Looks like a great trip.
chrisbuck243
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Bush, Ski & Backcountry/ Specialty Flying