Member Support

• Advertisement

Plumbers antifreeze on fabric?

Everything Off & On Unpaved Or Paved Surfaces...Or Even The White Fluffy Stuff!

Plumbers antifreeze on fabric?

Unread postby gear » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:40 pm

Can i use plumbers antifreeze as a de-frost solution on a fabric aircraft? Will it harm the fabric?

thx.

garth
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Plumbers antifreeze on fabric?

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:30 am

gear wrote:Can i use plumbers antifreeze as a de-frost solution on a fabric aircraft? Will it harm the fabric?

thx.

garth

No idea, what finish, dope, poly, vinyl? Maybe windshield washer fluid? But let us know how it works ;-)

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:39 pm

I've used environment friendly auto antifreeze and RV weatherization antifreeze. Usually mix it just strong enough to meet the temperature of the day.

Before applying the antifreeze mix we use lots of warm water to get all the frost and snow off first. Take some towels and dry off the large surfaces before spraying the antifreeze on hinges and other moving parts. I've even used WD-40 to displace water in critical components like trim jack screws.

The sooner you can defrost the aircraft and get it into the air the better. If you have to load passengers and freight do it after the quick flight around the patch at minimal weight.

If any antifreeze has ever done anything negative I haven't seen it. Most of the aircraft have Stits or Randolf system. The salt water is much more corrosive than antifreeze could ever be.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BGH » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:17 pm

My buddy used to fly the big stuff for a living so he had access to the real deice fluid.It was mixed 50/50 with hot water & the reason was that the hot water melted the ice & snow on the wings & the deice fluid kept it from refreezing to the flying surfaces before takeoff.We only took the heavy snow off the wings,everything else melted off after being sprayed on.In the end I bought wing & tail covers for the 185 & that solved the deicing issues at the dock in -30.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby gear » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:01 pm

We didn't need it in the end but i agree with BGH - I'm going to by some propylene glycol (same stuff as commercial guys use) and mix 50/50 with hot water.
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Bush, Ski & Backcountry/ Specialty Flying