Member Support

• Advertisement
SeaBear Aircraft

ck'd out in a new seaplane today

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

ck'd out in a new seaplane today

Unread postby keel » Mon May 24, 2010 9:15 pm

ck'd myself out in a new seaplane today
almost as much fun as turning 100LL into noise
Steve
Attachments
PA18 RTF.jpg
PA18 RTF.jpg (40.37 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
keel

Re: ck'd out in a new seaplane today

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:48 pm

My first seaplane was my first RC trainer, after I CA glued it back together 5 or 6 times after teaching me how to fly RC, I got bored with the flat bottomed wing and wanted something faster so it hung from my shop ceiling for about a year then I saw that they made those injected molded floats for a 40 size plane and got a pair mounted on the plane, I also had a old Veco 61 engine lying around and more power is always better so I put it on my new float plane, the floats don't come with any water rudders so if you added power to fast while on the water the plane would do a 180* turn and come right back at you really fast because my flight skills were a little slow it would chase me and scare the heck outa me, put some homemade water rudders on it and it was easier to handle on the water, with all that power and 72" of wing it performed like that new Cub Crafters hot rod, that was 22 years ago and I think it's still up in the attic of my garage, Hmmm, I might have to go look and see if it still works.

Glenn
cubdriver2

Unread postby keel » Tue May 25, 2010 9:05 am

cubdriver2
"the plane would do a 180* turn and come right back at you "
i can relate to that
these RTF kits are pretty amazing now
Steve
keel

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue May 25, 2010 10:06 am

Heavily affected by a Cessna 185 (RTF) from BananaHobby.
Here is one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=QTPSEsE ... re=related
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby Sticky1 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:02 pm

Check this out......3 cameras; 1- front, 1- inside, 1- rear outside

We were at sky harbor airport in wisconsin ready to go into the water

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-AYPI9asao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXIFLOk7 ... re=related
Sticky1
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue May 25, 2010 5:26 pm

Sticky1 wrote:Check this out......3 cameras; 1- front, 1- inside, 1- rear outside

We were at sky harbor airport in wisconsin ready to go into the water

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-AYPI9asao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXIFLOk7 ... re=related

Where did you install the servos and Lipo Pack on this one? 4 or 5 channel controls?
;o)
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Ah yes, good old Sky Harbor, 4 years ago I picked up a friends just bought 1940 Piper J4/1320 that had not been in the water for a few years, Don came over with the float dolly that goes between the floats and picks you up by the spreader bars, but before he lifted me up he put a 2x8x6' under each spreader bar to distibute the weight and protect the spreader bars from the steel on the dolly lift, we had already preflighted the plane and he picked me up and took me over and we fuel it up then we went over to the ramp that leeds into the water, now it was early May and I hadn't been on floats for 7 months and I only had about 100hrs on floats and it was blowing out of the NW 20/G30 and even the protected west side bay had 2' waves and I was a little nervous to say the least and I was loaded up with extra gas and camping gear, Don propped me and said I'll let you sit on the dolly for 10 min to warm the engine up before I lower you into the water, while I'm sitting there on the dolly I notice this HUGE Ore boat comming from my left side about a 100 yards away and it's pushing a HUGE bow wave that looked to be 6' tall and I'm thinking I'm glad I'm not in the water yet because the size of that wave is scareing the crap outa me and Don drops me into the lake, I had planed to taxie out a few hundred feet so that I could turn more into the wind but that North Shore of Hawaii looking wall of water was gaining on me and all I could think of was that it would swamp me if I didn't takeoff, so I firewalled it and it was blowing hard and I was off the water in about a 100', got turned into the wind and had to fly over downtown Duluth for a little bit before I could turn east, was going to follow the south shore of Lake Superior but the water was a raging sea so I turned SE to head overland to Shawano WI, the trim on the plane was really weird, I could get it trimed for a minute or so but it would change rather quick and then go back to the previous setting and I chased it for the next 2 hr, got to Shawano and the lake had 2 ' waves and I landed OK but with only 1 water rudder I couldn't go downwind so I shut it off and tried to sail it back to the dock but with a new to me plane without a starter is not an easy job but finally got to where I wanted to go, I jump off of the float onto the dock and turned around to grab the plane and that 2x8x6" plank that was on the dolly was wedged up on edge between the floats an an angle, no wonder I had trouble with the trim, the plank was not tight but floating around between the inside chine on each float and I lifted it out with 1 hand, and I had gone over downtown Duluth 2 hrs earlier.

Glenn

I called Don and asked him if he wanted his plank back
cubdriver2

Unread postby Sticky1 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:54 pm

Sticky1
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed May 26, 2010 11:02 pm

jjbaker
Owner/ Admin