Member Support

• Advertisement

Elephant Kills Man in Germany

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

Elephant Kills Man in Germany

Unread postby KlausNW » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:52 pm

Elephant escapes from circus, kills man in Germany

Jason, are you still with us?
:elephant: :elephant: :elephant:

BERLIN (AP) -- A German man taking his regular morning stroll was killed by an elephant who had escaped from a nearby circus, police said Saturday.

The 65-year-old man was walking in the woods near Buchen, a town in southwest Germany, when the African elephant attacked him shortly after 5 a.m. (0300 GMT), said Heidelberg police spokeswoman Yvonne Schmierer. She declined to say what injuries the unnamed man suffered.

The 34-year-old female elephant, called `Baby,' was captured and returned to the circus. Police are now investigating whether someone let the elephant out of its secure enclosure, and why the animal acted aggressively toward the man.

"There's evidence of third party involvement," said Schmierer. "Either someone forgot to shut the enclosure, or the elephant was released intentionally."

German news agency dpa reported that the elephant had previously injured people. It quoted a representative of the German branch of animal rights group PETA calling for authorities to take the elephant away from the circus.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_GERMANY_MAN_KILLED_BY_ELEPHANT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-06-13-08-50-12
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Elephant Kills Man in Germany

Unread postby RKittine » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:51 pm

I know I was right to be wary of 34 year old women! Probably another Man Hater! Doesn't sound like she has been charged with anything either.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:32 am

Thanks for the concern, Klaus. I escaped quite a few aggressive female elephants so far and intend to keep that habit.

In 1986, Peter Schmidt was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Buchen University...

While on a hike through the bush, he came across a young elephant standing with one leg raised in the air. The elephant seemed distressed, so Peter approached it very carefully. He got down on one knee, inspected the elephant’s foot, and found a large piece of wood deeply embedded in it. As carefully and as gently as he could, Peter worked the wood out with his knife, after which the elephant gingerly put down its foot. The elephant turned to face the man, and, with a rather curious look on its face, stared at him for several tense moments.

Peter stood frozen, aware of the danger. Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, turned, and walked away.
Peter never forgot that elephant or the events of that day.

Almost 30 years later, Peter was walking through the Buchen Zoo. As he approached the elephant enclosure, one of the creatures turned and walked over to near where Peter was standing. The huge elephant stared at Peter, lifted its front foot off the ground, then put it down. The elephant did that several times, then trumpeted loudly... all the while staring at Peter intently.

Remembering the encounter in 1986, Peter could not help wondering if this was the same elephant. He summoned up all of his courage, climbed over the railing, and made his way into the enclosure. He walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder. The huge creature turned to face the man, and, with a curious look on its face - a look that was strangely familiar to Peter - stared at him. Peter looked deeply into those large, liquid brown eyes. Was that... was that the spark of recognition he saw there?

The elephant trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around Peter’s neck, picked him up and slammed him against the railing three times, killing him instantly.

The moral of the story?

Probably wasn’t the same fucking elephant.

:elephant:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:37 am

And then there was the story about the Cobra that wanted to cross the stream .........

Maybe it was just in it's nature. :elephant:
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:30 am

RKittine wrote:And then there was the story about the Cobra that wanted to cross the stream .........

Maybe it was just in it's nature. :elephant:

I thought that was a scorpion using a frog as its boat?

From the limited elephant research I have done, I'd conclude that they are not animals to screw around with.

One thing that's sure is that Elephants have red eyes, so that they can hide better in the strawberry field.

Have you ever seen a elephant in a strawberry field?

Ha!

See... it works!
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby KlausNW » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:01 pm

We have a lot of these people in Alaska that can communicate with the animals of the wild....

Timothy Treadwell (born Timothy Dexter; April 29, 1957 – October 5, 2003) was an American bear enthusiast, environmentalist, amateur naturalist, and documentary filmmaker and founder of the bear-protection organization Grizzly People. He lived with the grizzly bears of Katmai National Park in Alaska for 13 summers. At the end of his 13th summer in the park in 2003, he and his girlfriend Amie Huguenard (October 23, 1965 – October 5, 2003) were killed by a 28-year-old brown bear, whose stomach was later found to contain human remains and clothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell

:attack:

P.S. I guess we don't have quite as many as we use to.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:23 am

And I have never seen one in a bag of M&Ms when they paint their towe nails different colors to go with their red eyes, which is only really when they have too much alcohol!
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:20 am

To my animal loving hearts content, I learned that Baby, the 34 year old feminist elephant will find a new home, rather than being euthanized.

Also noteworthy is the renewed interest and debate in Germany about having these animals prohibited from traveling outfits. Undue stress, unnatural living conditions, boredom, malnutrition and abuse cause lots of damage to animals which were never intended to be in the hands of profit sharks.

Even though being stomped by an elephant would be my preferred method of death, compared to being mushed by a two legged mall shopping elephant on steroids - I am told the guy wasn't looking all so extremely fresh after the episode.

Heck, what a cool gravestone imprint though...

Jason J. Baker
Discussion Board Fuzzy
23.01.1975 - 23.01.2016
Terminally Flattened By Elephant "Baby"

Another reason to never ever ignore the elephant in the room!
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:43 pm

OMG My daughter was only born 4 days before you.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:58 pm

I bet she ain't looking as attractive as me on my new avatar picture.
Gosh, I used to be like this attractive guy with a shaved head, no wrinkles and a goatee to sport.
8 years around seaplane pilots and dealing with seaplane advocacy stuff and... look at me now!

jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby TriPacer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:31 pm

I hope it was a good fight - lord knows I wouldn't let an elephant take me without a good brawl... As you can see from the article, we know what to do in MN when wildlife gets all uppity:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/12/09/man-bear-attack-knife-minnesota/20127583/
TriPacer
Owner Of The Force
From Minnesota, where men strangle bears and children fly helicopters!
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:41 pm

Here's proof that you could kill a bear all by your sorry lonesome with a goddamn pocket knife and these seaplane pilot guys won't flinch. :lol:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby TriPacer » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:23 am

Wow, I just clicked my own link and realized I posted the wrong story... I guess we have a lot of Man-Bear clashes in MN...

http://mrconservative.com/2014/09/50323-badass-hunter-wrestles-525lb-black-bear-to-death-with-his-bare-hands/
TriPacer
Owner Of The Force
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:31 pm

I thinks you posted the wrong headline story again. The bear was stabbed, but certainly nor killed by "bare" hands.
Meanwhile in Buchen, Germany, the man removed from planet earth by elephant Baby, went without the use of man-made weaponry.
Ultimate defeat. Imagine Moses asks you how you went. Car accident? No. Airplane crash? No. "Sorry Moses, I was mushed by a elephant!"
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:19 am

Could have been bitten by a snake, stung by a super bee or stepped on a poisonous mollusk, but the elephant mushing reads better on a tombstone.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby TriPacer » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:35 am

jjbaker wrote:The bear was stabbed, but certainly nor killed by "bare" hands.

Jeez, guess we're not so tough after all... :D Maybe it should have read killed with "bear hands"...

Thanks folks, I'll be here all night.
TriPacer
Owner Of The Force
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to General Discussion