Member Support

• Advertisement
SeaBear Aircraft

SPA Membership

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

SPA Membership

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:54 pm

I guess the boys at SPA Headquarters got the word and did something. Just got my renewal notice. 30 days prior to renewal, not market First reminder etc. just the one. I think it was still only $45.00 last year, but I could be mistaken. This year it is $55.00. Oh well, I still like the magazine.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: SPA Membership

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:07 pm

I just spent $45.00 on a pair of glasses, four knitting needles and enough wool to knit myself this funny Winter Seaplane- Pilot-Octopus-Hat.
Comes with 12 issues of a beginner knitting magazine and just enough band aids to cover any injuries obtained while knitting.

jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby CFII » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:59 pm

RKittine wrote:I guess the boys at SPA Headquarters got the word and did something. Just got my renewal notice. 30 days prior to renewal, not market First reminder etc. just the one. I think it was still only $45.00 last year, but I could be mistaken. This year it is $55.00. Oh well, I still like the magazine.

Bob

I've seen no other competition in the seaplane magazine department, always enjoying the glossy hard copy, and will be continuing my membership as well. Also for the SPA's highly positive annual training issue and flight school directory that's particularly great for students, pilots and flight schools.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Re: Oshkosh float news

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:23 am

I ran into Mr Bertorelli in the flymart. I had a nice chat with SPA Steve and he showed me the new website that will have a way for members to post alerts about seaplane base updates. If you don't think we have made a difference on what they do at SPA some of what we have discussed here is on their new website. Vetts had more visitors then I have ever seen in the past 24 years.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:41 am

That is great to hear Glenn. I actually saw a new post on the SPA Forum today. Usually there is nothing when I check.

Bob

P.S. - Jason, Yes I did PM him to come on over.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:33 am

cubdriver2 wrote:I ran into Mr Bertorelli in the flymart. I had a nice chat with SPA Steve and he showed me the new website that will have a way for members to post alerts about seaplane base updates. If you don't think we have made a difference on what they do at SPA some of what we have discussed here is on their new website. Vetts had more visitors then I have ever seen in the past 24 years.

Glenn

OK. I hope Paul didn't run you over.

We won't know what happened at Vetts as neither Paul Seehafer nor John Knapp will take the time to post or share any pictures.
Only 1 of 643 members bothered to even start a thread on OSH. Considering that a healthy junk of our people went, that's pretty sad.

I've now had some time to check out the new super-secret SPA Website and except for the Tabs being out of whack (looks cluttered or unorganized) I think its an impressive site with good information on display even for non members. It would be nice to have "Hot Advocacy Topics" on tap for the whole nation, without having to click on each state individually. This could be solved with a map feature or by a simple feed listing extracted from each table. Keeping them separate by state may not bring people to realize that an advocacy topic should really be of interest to all seaplane pilots, SPA member or not.

IOW's: Not all is well just because there are no open advocacy topics in any members particular state and not all Field Directors are aware or responsive.
Aware members write better advocacy letters and comments. Late, the "ladder is up" style calls to action don't work --> See Colorado.
The fewest people care for this stuff even fewer bother to respond to calls to action. If advocacy is SPA's bread and butter, it should be dead center and highest priority on its website, too.

[The exchange links have now been added due to cubdriver2's efforts - thank you]

:acute:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:27 am

Jason,

Are other Seaplane Type Forums (Are there any others) listed with links on the SPA site? If so, I would take it as a snub, but I can not think of any other forum that I am on that advertises another forum for the same audience unless the other forum is also run by the same people.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:33 am

No clue Bob. All I know is that we are listed on some 100+ websites that deal with seaplanes.
I'd not be opposed to refer to another site or forum, it just needs to be a mutual benefit and be non competitive.
Lenny and I link to each other and post on each others forums.

The Greenville Seaplane Fly In links to us, Oshkosh Seaplane Base links to us, a couple dozen regional associations link to us. People can find us on EAA, AOPA and some other large associations, too. We're a member of the Type Club Coalition from EAA, they link to us. The only website that has always avoided linking to this forum is SPA's and that despite bringing it up on occasion with the Captains.

Its called Referral Marketing. You remember me linking to N72, when the Warwick website was redone. I took some 20+ links off of our listing after we had sent 20K+ visitors each to their pages. If a guy offering runway matting (!) makes it on the list as a "valuable seaplane site" list and this forum does not, one has to giggle. I know because I am not the only one who noticed right away. For a while I had a link to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster on our forum. As a self declared ordained minister in this church, I am proud to advertise them. Wanna test how long it takes me to get a link to Seaplaneforum.com onto their website?

The Gliderforum.com Link Listing is such a system.

Things like this counter fragmentation and division, too.

Lets go back to the topic of OSH and see how many pictures and stories will be shared.

Supposedly PK Floats will be taking orders for new floats starting September 2015.
Funny - The Husky on their website is the very airplane I photographed in 2010 for our first ever Seaplaneforum.com Logo.

:beer:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:18 am

JJ,

I get the issue and the frustration you have with the SPA. After all this time, you are not going to change it and you are losing valuable / quality hours of life worrying about it. They are not going to cooperate with you, which they have now proven for a very long time. Agonizing over it will only be a detriment to your physical and mental health. Focus on the good stuff or move back to the U.S., settle in Little Ferry, New Jersey where the SPA began and start the ISFPA (International Seaplane Forum Pilots Association), publish a Magazine and rake in the big bucks.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:10 am

I guess I am not really worried about any of it, I've long given up on getting this done.
Instead, I bought over-sized toothbrushes and now go after Crocodiles & Alligators for professional dental care.

Much better return on time invested and they are nice animals, very open to new ideas. ;-)

I do take the liberty to flip and show the other side of the coin when I see SPA hymnals, though.
Its not all pink elephants and cotton balls for everyone. No Little Ferry or U.S. for me - I am fine and much better off here for now.

Merged posts regarding SPA stuff to avoid completely derailing the initial thread, which was about OSH. [JJB]
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:34 am

Just texted Steve who is still at Kosh and he said he will contact you when he gets back to Fla about posting links to each others site.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby akavidflyer » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:03 am

hmmm, I checked out the new site. Seems that they have linked seaplane forum on the SPA website... so I click and low and behold, the fine upstanding folks at SPA have named their own forum "seaplane forum". Pretty original don't ya think? I wonder where they got the bright idea to change it from. Seems like douchebaggery at its finest to me.

One more reason why I refuse to be a member of the good ole boys club.
Leonard Perry
Avid C Heavy Hauler
Avid Amphibian

"I would rather die trying to live, than live trying not to die"
akavidflyer
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:31 pm

I just talked to SPA Steve and he told me he has not linked it yet but he will soon. You all know I have haunted Steve since he took over at SPA, and I have been a driving force keeping a rift between us. We all also know that it's not healthy for the seaplane world if things stay the way they are? He gave me his word he would get the link up and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby BGH » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:46 pm

To be honest it would benefit all seaplane users of we all got along & were able to join forces - unfortunately I don't see that ever happening with the spa run the way it is,in the end the reason I gave up my membership after somewhere around 22 years.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:24 am

Look here....

http://www.seaplanepilotsassociation.org/resources/links/

GOOOO all the way doowwn to the bottom of the page and then push the down button three more times and there it is, the seaplaneforum logo, our plane and everything.

:elephant: :monkey: :chickendance:
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:23 pm

The impossible has happened. Lets see it as a step, even if its a triggered one. I've put the SPA back up in our link directory, too.

This is a self-made logo for lack of a logo I could fit to size...

Mental inertia is a bad thing and even if the smallest move means nothing to nobody, there is light.

Now I know why I always reacted allergically to have my forum referred to as Seaplane Forum.

Its always been Seaplaneforum.com.

jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:07 pm

Well, Seaplane and Forum are both words that as stand alones are in the public domain and not able to be copy righted. It is kind of normal that a Seaplane oriented site with a forum, would have a Seaplane Forum. Glad you are being the bigger man Jason.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:00 am

For some reason I feel like the "bigger man" usually gets the bigger shaft. :dingle:

Ive taken this down here. Too many readers as someone seems to be emailing this topic around. ;-)
Quite a sign when the SPA Membership topic stays on top of the active topics listing for 4 days in a row. It is my hope that we will eventually have this forum free of these peeps. I already sincerely regret having pointed out the missing link.

jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby KlausNW » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:10 pm

People love the DRAMA...

I personally would take advantage of the gawkers and put a bunch of information in this thread that gets more interest and funds.

:SPAM ALERT:
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:23 pm

:lol:

That unfortunately doesn't seem to work. Having SPA topics on this forum has never benefited the site or its funding situation.
I think its quite the contrary. People love the drama but desperately hate the truth. Otherwise we'd have sponsors.
I do feel as if members who are skipping their renewals here are communicating very clearly.
Same with those who read and never have the balls to post anything.

Seaplaneforum.com is being well protected from getting on the step. The BUDC principle.

:Mr.Money:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Return to General Discussion