Member Support

• Advertisement

Unusual and drastic action in the PacNW of airport closure

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

Unusual and drastic action in the PacNW of airport closure

Unread postby CFII » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:37 pm

Dear David,

This season, marks one of the driest any can recall. The Ryan Airfield (2MT1) is completely brown and the potential for fire is extremely high. Due to these unusual conditions the airstrip and camping areas will be closed until conditions improve.

Effective July 3, 2015 the airstrip is marked with X’s at both ends and the road entry gate will be posted with signage indicating the temporary closure.

We regret the necessity of taking this action but consider it prudent in order to protect this wonderful back country aviation destination.

Conditions will be monitored closely; reopening will be announced on the RAF website and through email to members.

Recreational Aviation Foundation
1711 West College Street
Bozeman, MT 59715-4913
United States
406-582-1RAF (406-582-1723)
theraf.org

Join Team RAF!

RAF Mission:
“Keeping the legacy of recreational aviation strong by preserving, maintaining and creating public use recreational and backcountry airstrips nationwide”

Click here to unsubscribe from RAF Emails
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Re: Unusual and drastic action in the PacNW of airport closu

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:12 pm

Why drastic?

Prudent move, considering that wildfires usually don't avoid airports. I doubt there are firetrucks standing by, just to make sure Big Joe doesn't set the whole place on fire with his Bratwurst. U.S. Airtankers and fire fighters now have to dodge moron- operated drones and UAV's once a smoke-puff appears. I guess if people can't be trusted to exercise common sense and treat natural resources responsibly, they loose them over time, or as in this case, temporarily.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby CFII » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:07 pm

jjbaker wrote:Why drastic?

Prudent move, considering that wildfires usually don't avoid airports. I doubt there are firetrucks standing by, just to make sure Big Joe doesn't set the whole place on fire with his Bratwurst. U.S. Airtankers and fire fighters now have to dodge moron- operated drones and UAV's once a smoke-puff appears. I guess if people can't be trusted to exercise common sense and treat natural resources responsibly, they loose them over time, or as in this case, temporarily.

Because it's extreme and severe, although reasonable.
Most wildfires in the West are caused by natural lightning strikes.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:32 pm

Don't say that. Feinstein will rush to the rescue and declare lightning strikes illegal.

"Today I am announcing the Lightning Strikes Are Illegal Act!"

jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Return to General Discussion