Member Support

• Advertisement
SeaBear Aircraft

Little Ferry Seaplane Base No Longer Showing on the Chart

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

Little Ferry Seaplane Base No Longer Showing on the Chart

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:03 am

Anyone heard anything about Little Ferry possibly having closed? I will call the NJ DOT later today, but it was just pointed out to me that the Seaplane Base logo is no longer on the sectional. I have seen this happen in the past, even when nothing has changed, but such little activity, maybe they did officially close it. The SPA started there and a lot of seaplane pilots trained there over the years. As of June 25th of this year the FAA was still listing it. On the other hand, Peekskill was on the chart long after it was closed.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Little Ferry Seaplane Base Now Longer Showng on the Char

Unread postby skimmerone » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:58 am

It is on the Terminal chart.......
skimmerone
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Little Ferry Seaplane Base No Longer Showing on the Char

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:03 am

According to NJ DOT, it is still open and is the only seaplane base currently open in the state. The FAA might have decided to leave it off the sectional to declutter. Not that I would want to fly into it now that there is so much traffic in the area and since there are no facilities there.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:39 pm

From the perspective of a former VFR Chart editor at Jeppesen, I'd consider leaving a SPB off a chart for the purpose of de-cluttering a bit negligent.

But:

Usually there is an accessible "Revisions" list, showing the changes from one edition of a chart to the next.
Technically, you cannot change anything of significance on a chart without some sort of reason.

When clicking on the little square blue quadrant at 097R/1.3NM from TEB, I do open the airport in the A/FD, though.

The Symbol of the SPB may have been replaced with this?

Consider that these charts are created in categorized layers, the matters of higher importance print over the matters of lower importance.

IOW's the seaplane anchor symbol may be on a lower significance level for printing. There's obstacles and stuff, most of these print no matter what/ where. The editor may not relocate obstacles in favor of lower safety significance information disseminated on the chart. Pointing to it by arrow may be an option, but in this case, not worth it.

To verify this thesis, look to the right towards "Evers (6N6)" SPB and note that the anchor is cut in place of the airport square. An obstacle is very close to Little Ferry, very much likely printing on a higher level.

If the editor of the chart finds this acceptable, that's how it goes to print.

Definitely prudent, considering how overloaded that part of the chart is naturally, and how little actual seaplane traffic there may be.

Here's the website where you can open that chart: http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=40.850 ... 33&zoom=10

Clueless in Germany says: Incidental De-cluttering . Check Sectional Rev List & Legend. Good enough.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:23 am

Thanks for the input Jason. That all makes sense. In any case, it is still open and the Class B (Old TCA) Chart has plenty of room and hence I gather why it still shows there. New Jersey DOT still shows it open but no longer lists the one in Barnegat Bay.

Flying in that area is tricky and with no services or dockage, can't see why anyone might want to.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to General Discussion