Member Support

• Advertisement
SeaBear Aircraft

Interesting Dolly (Not A Blow Up One)

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

Interesting Dolly (Not A Blow Up One)

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:23 am

This video of a Dolly Take Off of a really nice looking Stinson 108, was posted on another site. Single front wheel with what looks like spring centering wires. In watching the take off it looked like the plane veered off to the left and then straightened back to the right. For those that use dollys for takeoff, is the control of motion left and right only controlled by the rudder on the mounted plane? How fast do you have to be going to get longitudinal control from just the rudder? Or are any of these connected somehow through a temporary interface that allow steering of the nose wheel via, say the water rudders? In the last segment it also appears that there is some type of Auto Braking on the dolly once the plane lifts off.

Thanks, Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Interesting Dolly (Not A Blow Up One)

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:54 am

I think Tim's dolly had some sort of "rip off" break actuator that would just snap the brakes shut to avoid the dolly carrying on?
The nose-wheel on this dolly seems to be spring wire stabilized and I think it will react to the rudder inputs once the rudder gets authority.
Awesome camera angle on the last section seeing how this airplane rushes away from the dolly.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:44 am

Mine had a single castoring front wheel and at about 5mph I could taxi with rudder control around any place that was semi level.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:00 pm

Had? Did it go to the Seaplane Dolly Heaven?

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:37 pm

Maybe it stuck to the plane on takeoff. Gotta log Amphib time somehow these days...
How do you log dolly takeoffs, anyway?
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:01 am

I was thinking maybe the famous tree.

Good point about the logging for those that bother. I know we have had this discussion before and it applicable to things like IFR flight when in VFR conditions, Land to Land flight in a seaplane Amphib etc. How about Multi-engine when you have one engine out!

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:43 pm

A little more information about that Dolly, steering and braking.

"I tried to attach a photo but could not get it to work. The dolly is very simple, using mostly angle iron with about 100 pounds load on the nose wheel. I also added a nose up angle to the dolly to help in lift off. The nose wheel is my plane's tail wheel with short cables to apply slight centering pressure. The brakes are a screen door spring (visible on right side in last video) that rotates a 11 foot long pipe connecting a simple (over centering angle iron piece that bites into both rear wheels locking them up (evenly). The over centering is where the braking power comes from. It flat spots the tires but at a rate of once a year. The trigger for the brakes is an arm with a piece of rubber hose pinched under the float that is let free when I lift off. I hope this helps!"
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:31 pm

You really want a negative AOA when sitting on the dolly so you don't start bouncing and YOU choose when to lift off at a positive climb speed.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:47 pm

Makes a lot of sense. Stay planted on the dolly until you are really ready to fly. When I put the VGs on your old Champ, it wanted to break ground way to early and I had to learn to get the tail up with full forward stick and hold it on the ground until flying speed. So you don't have a dolly anymore?

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:13 pm

It's sitting in the weeds. Island Bobs is a lot safer then bouncing down a 40' wide downhill slope with 3' deep ditches on both sides of a 900' runway. I got the merit badge doing it twice, one with your Champ and once with the J4. I think it would be fun at a regular airport.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:00 pm

Can't disagree with that. Wonder what will happen up there now that Dick is no longer and examiner and Fil has not put his plane back on floats. Looks like one less training facility. Wonder if Everts will try to pick up some of the slack.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:25 pm

Fils plane has been in the water since june 1st

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:31 pm

And used for training? Bovey said no. Who is instructing in it? Who is giving check rides?

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to General Discussion