Member Support

• Advertisement

What Do You Get For Participating in this Site

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

What Do You Get For Participating in this Site

Unread postby RKittine » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:19 am

For those of you who drop by the site and take a look, there are a lot of things that you can learn here and probably a lot that you could contribute even if you do not think so. Ask a question, it might be on the mind of other people. Introduce yourself and let everyone know what you interest is in Seaplane Flying.

I am sure that our Leader J.J will add to this post by making a list of all that you can find here. In some cases, you might have to use the "Search" Feature, as if an area of interest has not been updated for a while, you will not see it active, but over the years there have been a lot of topics here that might well be of interest to you.

J.J. - On the Aeronca Pilots site, one of the Board Indexes is a list of instructors and contact information for tailwheel instruction. Easy to find right up front without searching. There is also a category for Mechanics that specialize in tube and fabric repairs and modification.

Just got my latest Water Flying along with the annual training directory. Rather than a thread that gets lost when it is inactive for a while, a category that is locked and updated with one list that gets modified as necessary, but where you do not have to wade through all the posts and off topic posts like I tend to interject :dance:

Might be an attraction and one that simulates some of the other user group type home pages.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: What Do You Get For Participating in this Site

Unread postby Rajay » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:47 am

I like Bob's idea. However, I can "imagine" that it might leave a bad taste in someone's mouth put in the amount of effort that it would require to do something so useful and user-friendly when even the original source of a lot of that information and material not only wouldn't bother to do it themselves but also would not in any way "appreciate" the effort it would require and may even have some kind of objection to it being done - unless Bob is suggesting a completely separate and original effort as opposed to actually just re-printing the information from the source he identified previously.

Still, I'd also like to add that one of the things that I both get out of this forum and greatly appreciate about it is the decidedly higher level of dedication, integrity, and civility of the forum and its active members as compared to essentially every other forum of which I am a member.

So, thanks once again Jason. I attribute a lot of that to you as maybe more so than any other factor, the quality of this forum is a reflection of you.

Also in terms of aerobatic and "tube and fabric" airplanes, Jason you might want to see if Eric Minnis of Bully Aeroplane Works & Airshows in Burlington, NC might be interested in joining and/or advertising on that other forum. (I can pass along some contact info or you could look him up online via Google or whatever.) He seems to have a booming business and many even international customers who are involved in Red Bull air racing and the like. His right-hand man/chief mechanic is now the official crew chief on Gene Soucy's Grumman Ag-cat too. I kinda' envy their success at finding a very specialized and apparently lucrative "niche" in the aviation industry - and I just wish that I could duplicate it with seaplanes, but NC just is not as into them as I am personally.
Rajay
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:17 pm

3 Forums, 4 Facebook Pages, 3 Twitter Pages. 8 actively monitored and quite busy email addresses. No capacity to take on any lonesome cowboy projects.
I've put a link up to SPA, despite my obviously tainted reputation there. Expectations for a return link are scaled down on this end, so no matter what happens, I can be surprised but not disappointed.

RE: Resource Directory - Example On Gliderforum.com
Fun project, but it's a lot of work and depends on members to help with growing it.

So, for experimenting on Gliderforum.com the yearly supporting membership contribution is just $15.00 and For Sale & WTB Topics are completely free to registered users. Like here, I have no interest in running a site that limits peoples ability to post links (even though they hurt the site tremendously by leakage) and I have no interest in telling 50-80 year old successful business people what they can and can't discuss.

Members change the course of this site by taking ownership in it. Post. Set a goal of just one post per day! If you got no seaplane topic to talk about or already know everything, talk about other things you care about, so that people have a chance to get to know you. I ask people I know and trust for advice first. Go through the thousands of unanswered topics, dig out an old one and breathe new life in it. The next thing would be get-together style events.

I think that the demeanor of people here is much softer (nicer) than it could be. I don't know if they do it out of mistaken respect for me or if they simply don't want to show personality. We have been lucky in that we have a bunch of members who never ever talk down to people when talking about seaplanes, unlike some of the Cult Figures and Seaplane Gods out there. Helpful, open minded people you can slap with pretty much anything you think. They'll give you an honest personal response, often in much shorter ways than I do. They'll get on the horn and call others, they'll get on the machine and write a support letter for seaplanes nearly 3.000 miles away. They seek to do business and refer business to companies who support our page.

I cannot take absent or departed members very personal, a lesson I had to learn in the first few years. After 5.5 years, there are maybe 10 members who's absence or silence I do take personal. Having the baby you taught to walk and worked hard for badmouthed and stonewalled, or compared to "cold toast" isn't exactly feelgood stuff. I made the mistake to let this stuff grind me down. Once.

Rajay, let me assure you, the quality of this forum is the reflection of our active members. I appreciate every single one of them.
I often have unpopular opinions but I live and breathe by the text beneath my signature.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby KeithSmith » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:04 am

jjbaker wrote:I appreciate every single one of them.

:beer: GROUP HUG :cheers:
KeithSmith
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:46 am

+1

(Is the $15.00 annual supporting figure a typo?)

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:33 am

No. This was shown here.

Most of those who donate exceed the minimum rate. Just talked with a business and offered a Banner at $15.00/ Month.
I could use help in contacting potential sponsors for Gliderforum.com soon, this way I could decline donations from members altogether.

Quite funny that seaplane companies don't have the $29.00/ Month it would cost to advertise here.
Fully tax deductible business advertising expense with paperwork as needed.

Maybe its because I don't offer any pay per click scam... :lol:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:57 am

I read that wrong. Thought you said for the Glider Forum you only got $15.00 in total support payment? I get that this is the minimum for normal support.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to General Discussion