Member Support

• Advertisement

Seaplane Pictures

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

Seaplane Pictures

Unread postby chrisbuck243 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:51 am

As the summer and warm weather are again upon us it's time to get some new seaplane pictures. If you have any pictures you would be willing to share for Seaplane Magazine's Picture of the Week I can definitely use them. You can either send them to me in a pm or just post them on this page. It would be great if you could also include with the picture a short description of the plane and where the photo was taken. Many thanks and hope to see some of those beautiful photos flying my way soon...(bad pun intended)
chrisbuck243
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Seaplane Pictures

Unread postby TriPacer » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:36 pm

Here's one I always liked - seemed to capture all there is about Seaplane Flying (for me, anyways). This is The Force (a 1969 172K on Baumann 2550s) and the picture was taken near Longville, MN.

Island Lake.JPG
TriPacer
Owner Of The Force
From Minnesota, where men strangle bears and children fly helicopters!
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:53 pm

Great photo, but it looks like you are caught burning the evidence! :beer:
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:42 pm

How many you want

Me swimming at base of Kineo, Moosehead Lk, Maine

Brand new Carbon CubEX on Aerocet carbon fiber Amphibs and my ratty 75 year old J4, Allagash Maine

Making my 82 year old friend John earn his lunch

Gray Ghost camp Moose river Maine

Moore Res, New Hampshire

Twitchell Lake, Adirondacks

Floating dock party meeting in the middle of the lake

West Canada creek, Adirondacks

Stillwater Res, Adirondacks

I can bore you all day, I have a couple thousand of these

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:39 pm

Your pictures are never boring Glenn and I would be happy to be able to fly and have a 75 year old ratty Seaplane. Maybe in my next life depending on what I come back as.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby chrisbuck243 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:25 am

RKittine wrote:Your pictures are never boring Glenn and I would be happy to be able to fly and have a 75 year old ratty Seaplane. Maybe in my next life depending on what I come back as.

Bob

I can definitely agree with this!!! :D

Thanks so much for the response and hope to continue to see this list grow. :trying:
chrisbuck243
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:35 am

I was one of the owners of this one, once upon a time. Now owned by Gene Henry.

Bob
Attachments
CHIEF TOY LIKE 1920 X 1080.jpg
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby TriPacer » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:40 pm

Ha - there may have been a box, but I had eliminated the liquid evidence long before! :D

RKittine wrote:Great photo, but it looks like you are caught burning the evidence! :beer:
TriPacer
Owner Of The Force
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby TriPacer » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Glenn - do you protect the bottoms of the floats in any way when beached up against those rocks? I'm curious as to how to best deal with rocky shorelines.

Also, another picture of The Force on Forest Lake in MN. I apologize for the goofy looking guy marring the beauty of the seaplane!

IMG_1393.JPG
TriPacer
Owner Of The Force
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:21 pm

Greenville used to have a pile of old car tires behind the hangar that you could throw under the heels. That picture of me and the brand new CC on the first pair of carbon fiber floats is interesting. I landed first and pulled my tails up on the rocks. The guy in the CC had a float rating from years ago and no real world experience. And it had been flown in from Aerocet the night before as they had just finished installing the floats so that you could be on display on the ramp at Greenville. After I landed I kept him out in the water till I found some tree branches to stick under his floats so that they wouldn't get scratched. If you look at the picture you can see that finding wood was not easy, I found the last piece at the bottom of the back pond and had to dive to retrieve it.
If it's calm and no waves gently pulling your heels up on the rocks if they are round and not sharp is ok. But if the waves are breaking you need to hold the plane at bay while trying to clear the sharp rocks out of the way first. Then get it on the heels and find something to cushion it. I was always going to carry some rubber ( welcome ) door mats to throw down but I can't carry the extra weight sometimes. Plus my 1320s were built in 1946 and I think were built tougher then the ones built today. In 900 hrs I haven't put a hole in them " yet ". If you fly Maine, NH or Adirondacks rocks are every where and you need to know where they are before landing. A good trick I learned is while checking out a landing spot that has rocks I take an aerial picture with my phone so I can refresh my memory 2 hrs later when I take off.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:21 pm

Went up Dave B's camp on Lake Onawa in Me. Then hopped around moose head with lunch on Lobster Lake with Mark G. And Freight Dog. Had a couple beautiful nights at Daves camp
Attachments
image.jpeg
Lobster lake
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
"Still dreaming and hoping to die young at heart with a bar room story that will close the place"
Stevesbrother
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby TriPacer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:27 am

cubdriver2 wrote:Greenville used to have a pile of old car tires behind the hangar that you could throw under the heels. That picture of me and the brand new CC on the first pair of carbon fiber floats is interesting. I landed first and pulled my tails up on the rocks. The guy in the CC had a float rating from years ago and no real world experience. And it had been flown in from Aerocet the night before as they had just finished installing the floats so that you could be on display on the ramp at Greenville. After I landed I kept him out in the water till I found some tree branches to stick under his floats so that they wouldn't get scratched. If you look at the picture you can see that finding wood was not easy, I found the last piece at the bottom of the back pond and had to dive to retrieve it.
If it's calm and no waves gently pulling your heels up on the rocks if they are round and not sharp is ok. But if the waves are breaking you need to hold the plane at bay while trying to clear the sharp rocks out of the way first. Then get it on the heels and find something to cushion it. I was always going to carry some rubber ( welcome ) door mats to throw down but I can't carry the extra weight sometimes. Plus my 1320s were built in 1946 and I think were built tougher then the ones built today. In 900 hrs I haven't put a hole in them " yet ". If you fly Maine, NH or Adirondacks rocks are every where and you need to know where they are before landing. A good trick I learned is while checking out a landing spot that has rocks I take an aerial picture with my phone so I can refresh my memory 2 hrs later when I take off.

Glenn

Rubber welcome mats - that's a really good idea!
TriPacer
Owner Of The Force
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby dnilsson » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:07 pm

Here's a picture of my 2 daughters (on the left) and their friend on a nice Manitoba afternoon at Nutimik Lake in the Whiteshell provincial park,
IMG_20160618_131241.jpg
beside my '56 C-180. Was a great way to spend an afternoon and gave the girls a greater appreciation for floatplane flying.
dnilsson
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby Bill Rusk » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:05 am

In Southeast Alaska at the Young Lake North Cabin on Admiralty Island
Very Blessed.
Bill Rusk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby gdflys » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:12 am

Aventura II on Candlewood Lake in CT. This may add a splash of different colors to the splash in.
Attachments
image.jpeg
gdflys
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby Henny » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:50 am

Enjoying the day in Katmai National Park...

IMG_2647.JPG
Henny
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby Springloaded » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:42 am

Nice when the restaurant has a pond out front
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Springloaded
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby Bill Rusk » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:10 am

Baranof Cabin on Lake Baranof, in SE Alaska near Sitka.

Bill
Very Blessed.
Bill Rusk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to General Discussion