Member Support

• Advertisement

cross canada trip

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

cross canada trip

Unread postby thomas01 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:03 pm

Hello all
my dad and I are flying an amphib 185 from Lake Fraser (Lake George area) to Nova Scotia mid August. Hints and helpful tips for crossing the rockies and for places to stay along the way are greatly appreciated.
thomas01
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Re: cross canada trip

Unread postby BGH » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:06 pm

Very enjoyable trip - I've made that rip twice on wheels from the Vancouver area to Halifax & the second trip to PEI; both trips were ifr though.
Prince George to either Edmonton for the mall or Wetaskawin to visit the aviation museum.
On to Brandon for the next aviation museum,or stop in Regina to visit the rcmp museum.
Onto Winnipeg for another aviation museum.
Fuel stop in Thunder Bay & either fly around the lake or if adventurous go straight across the lake to Sault St Marie,get to the bush plane museum.
Sault to Ottawa,many museums to see including the aviation museum at Rockcliffe.
Montreal or Quebec City are beautiful & full of history.
Halifax,lots to see including Citadel Hill,rent a car see Peggy's Cove & walk around Lunenburg & take in the maritime museum.
Land in Sydney & drive down to Louisberg to spend a day touring the Fort & don't forget the Alexander Graham Bell museum.
PEI,land in either Charlottetown,or Summerside - rent a car & take in the sites & don't forget to have at least one lobster feed.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BGH » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:24 pm

I should add that I've always used the major airports except for Winnipeg as I have family by Lyncrest & use St Andrews for fuel.Thunder Bay,Sault(Canadian side) & I incurred an extra $18 cdn for nav Canada fees when I went into Ottawa but the shell centre took very good care of my wife & I & apologized for the added fees in the fuel,they even got me a rental car & nice hotel in the market district.
All the fbo's were able to arrange cars & lodgings & if you call ahead & give them an estimated arrival they'll have everything ready for you when you arrive

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:19 am

Hi Thomas,

You have a great trip ahead of you, consider stopping in at our sponsor www.gammonriver.com as well and enjoy your time!

Greetings from Germany

Jason
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby gear » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:44 pm

Thx for the mention Jason.
If you are interested in stopping at the camp, let me know and I'll get you looked after. There is also avgas 30 miles away at Bissett float base.

Garth
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby gear » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:00 pm

Well I had the pleasure of meeting Thomas and his son Raphael last week. Unfortunately the camp was booked on the dates they were coming through Manitoba however I offered for them to bunk in at our cottage. We got to know each other over dinner and shared stories. They had an adventure with the plane they flew back - I'll let them tell that story,...

A couple of real nice gentlemen that I found an honor to meet.

Garth
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to General Discussion