Member Support

• Advertisement

Tuesday night Quiz

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

Tuesday night Quiz

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:02 pm

Looking thru some boxes of photos and I found this from 2001 or 02 when I was hanging around Rhinebeck every weekend. Someone should know who I'm shaking hands with, I'm on the left :lol: This guy saw Glenn Curtiss land in a hay field in Poughkeepsie in 1911 when he stopped to refuel on his famous Albany to NYC in one day flight

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Tuesday night Quiz

Unread postby skimmerone » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:49 pm

He looks familiar...but can't come up with his name.
However, that fella on the left can't be Glenn, much to thin, much too young, and no grey hair.
skimmerone
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:50 pm

The mustache gave it away, but I can't place the guy either, though I lived in Poughkeepsie and started my flying lessons at Duchess County Airport in 1959.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:44 pm

http://dmairfield.com/people/miller_jm/

I got to sit and talk ( listen ) to Johnny when he visited the Aerodrome. He liked to sit on the field up by the D-25 rides booth which was show center. First time I just got him a chair to sit on and he started asking who I was. I heard a lot of his life stories first hand from him. The one I liked the most was of him and the Jenny. He was 17 or 18 and a Barnstormer was working the Hudson valley one summer. His parents didn't want to have anything to do with those dang flying machines. He snuck over one day for a ride and after the ride the pilot needed some help so Johnny stayed and helped work on the Jenny. The pilot showed him how to swing the prop so Johnny started it for the pilot. He waved Johnny over to the rear cockpit and asked if he wanted to swap some rides for him helping handle getting folks and gas to the hay fields he was flying out of. He helped the last couple weeks of the summer doing just that. The Barnstorming would switch locations a few miles every couple days so he always had new customers. When they moved Johnny would ride in the front cockpit and the pilot would give him a little stick time. The last day the pilot flew the jenny over to a new hayfield and there was another plane sitting on the edge of the field. A Standard J1 with a 180 hp Hisso V8. The ratty old Jenny had a worn out 90 hp OX-5. Johnny asked "whos is that " and the pilot told him he was upgrading to the J1. They loaded all the pilots gear into the J1 and Johnny swung the prop starting it. The pilot waved him over to the rear cockpit and thanked him for all his help. Johnny pointed to the Jenny and asked what was going to happen to it and the pilot patted him on the shoulder and said " it's your, don't hurt yourself " and flew away.
The jenny had half a tank of gas so Johnny started it and was taxiing it back and forth across the hay field going a little faster each time. He was getting a couple seconds of flight and then pulling the power and bouncing back on the ground. He flew a little too long and couldn't get it back on the ground so had to go up to miss the trees. He tried to get back into the same field but it was too small so he found a bigger one. After a couple tries and the gas getting low he got it on the ground and stopped just before crashing thru the farmers barnyard fence. He was climbing out and the farmer was running towards him yelling and he thought he was going to get in trouble. The farmer and his kids jump the fence and yelled " are you giving rides " And Johnny shouts " you bet if you have some gas " so on his second solo flight he was a commercial pilot.
He hid the plane all winter from his parents and recovered it.

Take it or leave it but that's what he told me

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KeithSmith » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:23 am

I love that story.

I can't begin to compete with that, but it did remind me of a fellow in that era who told about the day his engine tore lose from the airframe. With the major shift in weight, the airplane just sort of fluttered to the ground like a falling leaf. The pilot was relatively uninjured in the process.

He related that since that day when he heard a pilot talk about how they had "lost and engine", he would ask them "did you lose it or did it just stop running?" I often think of that line when I hear someone say they lost an engine.

It was definitely a different time in aviation. It makes today's flying look extremely tame.
KeithSmith
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:28 pm

One day we had hauled out the 400hp Liberty V12 that was on a test stand on a dolly. We used to hand prop it to get it going during the show. One guy holding the blade and 2 guys pulling on him. Johnny was sitting there and watching us. Some days he called us a bag of a$$holes because we weren't doing something right or how it was done in the day. When we put it away we asked him if he had any Liberty time. " I flew a DH-4 delivering the mail for awhile " I asked how he liked flying the DH-4 and he said " I had the same air in the tires all summer" I thought that was a strange answer so we moved on doing other chores. A few years later I'm reading some vintage flying articles from the late 1920 and it was about the quality of the rubber that tires were made out of at that time, and many an airman had to change tires after a not so graceful landing. While driving to work a few days later I got to thinking about what Johnny had said about having the same air in the tires all summer and realizes that Johnny had been bragging about his landings in the DH-4 and it had gone right over our heads at that time.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:14 pm

cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:46 pm

cubdriver2