Member Support

• Advertisement

Call to Readers & Members of Seaplaneforum.com

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

Call to Readers & Members of Seaplaneforum.com

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:14 am

Many people are reading Seaplaneforum.com but very few are supporting the site financially.
So far we had 3 donations to the site in 2017, with a hosting and domain renewal lurking at the end of March.

Advertising revenue is non-existent and the forums funding and emergency account is depleted.

Unlike some other forums, we haven’t put up a paywall or put content behind closed doors. I want to keep our site open to all. So you can see why I need to ask for your help.

Seaplaneforum.com is still the only independent, free information tool that assures unfiltered discussions where needed.
No expensive membership is needed to ask questions from the smallest to the biggest Waterflying issue.

Creating it and bringing it into its 7th year has taken a lot of time, money and effort for everyone.

If 10% of the people reading here helped to support the site with a $25.00 donation, things would look much different and this post wouldn't be here.

Thanks for your consideration!

:flying:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Re: Call to Readers & Members of Seaplaneforum.com

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:05 pm

I have supported this forum with multiple donations per year ever since it came into being. I contributed in December for the kick off of 2017 and posted that, hoping that others would jump in too. Jason, as many of us have said in the past, if you don't get some additional donations, shut it down (like a few of the other sites you tried) or lock important sections to supporters.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:06 pm

Dear Bob, (and other supporters)

My calls for donations are and have never been directed towards those who have donated (current or past) but towards those "members" and readers who have never helped to maintain this website, neither with a few lousy dollars, nor activity.

Without a call for donations, people will obviously assume that I am a Cessna Caravan owner and net worth millionaire who sports a few expenses on the side to boost his ego. Not quite...unfortunately.

I always maintained that the site is a reflection of its readers and users. Mostly, it reflect on the state of the Waterflying world, which loves and breeds a level of exclusivity, unmatched in aviation. We have lost some members and founders to politics, some to childish foot stomping and some to accidents. The goal was (and is) to make seaplane flying MORE accessible.

New members somehow always managed to appear as if their registering followed some kind of clean purpose. Many turned out to be purely in it to solicit free information or to plug their sale items.

The site isn't around to produce a profit (it used to, which I fortunately banked, rather than upgrading or renewing the site). This has kept it alive for the last two years.

It saves money to renew hosting by 2-3 year intervals, rather than year by year. The software works largely fine and we can keep it running with some help. Our hosting company is superb. We enjoy true 99.9% uptime.

Or we can try to get more than outbound links and one liners in here going (while checking where our founders hang out, these days, to see if they still live or fly).

Taking the site behind a paywall is the exact opposite of what we set out to do with this site, we might as well have founded an SPA II, 7 years ago.

I am extremely thankful for all of the support I have gotten from any and each of our current or past supporters, but unfortunately I need to keep asking for peeps to join in on this effort, both with $'s and posting from time to time to keep this place alive.

I live in a country where much and most of GA has been taxed out of the sky. Naturally, I am not running after people to tell us about the various advocacy issues, nor am I actively out, seeking contacts.

Unfortunately, Paypal is the only payment option I can offer from good old Germany, I am sure people would not leave me hanging if it wasn't for this hassle and one coul put some cash or a check in an envelope, to help out.

Lets see where this goes. Maybe there is some light?

Jason
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:00 pm

JJ, I know the post was not directed at me nor the few other supporters. I just wanted to help emphasize that others need to do the same as those ferw of us that do or we can set up an E-mail Group betten a few of us and you and you can save a lot of time and money.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to General Discussion