Member Support

• Advertisement

BasicMed Finally Released

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

BasicMed Finally Released

Unread postby KlausNW » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:04 pm

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=87925

General aviation pilots can now prepare to fly under BasicMed without holding a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) medical certificate as long as they meet certain requirements. They can fly under BasicMed beginning on May 1, the effective date of the January 10 final rule. It offers pilots an alternative to the FAA's medical qualification process for third class medical certificates, while keeping general aviation pilots safe and flying affordable.

General aviation pilots may take advantage of the regulatory relief in the BasicMed rule or opt to continue to use their FAA medical certificate. Under BasicMed, a pilot will be required to complete a medical education course every two years, undergo a medical examination every four years, and comply with aircraft and operating restrictions. For example, pilots using BasicMed cannot operate an aircraft with more than six people onboard and the aircraft must not weigh more than 6,000 pounds.

A pilot flying under the BasicMed rule must:

possess a valid driver's license;
consent to a National Driver Register check;
have held a medical certificate that was valid at any time after July 15, 2006;
have not had the most recently held medical certificate revoked, suspended, or withdrawn;
have not had the most recent application for airman medical certification completed and denied;
have taken a BasicMed online medical education course within the past 24 calendar months;
have completed a comprehensive medical examination with any state-licensed physician within the past 48 months;
have been found eligible for special issuance of a medical certificate for certain specified mental health, neurological, or cardiovascular conditions, when applicable; and
not fly for compensation or hire.

Pilots can read and print the Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist and learn about online BasicMed online medical courses at http://www.faa.gov/go/BasicMed

AOPA has the most information and the free course:

https://basicmedicalcourse.aopa.org/client/app.html?_ga=1.127076367.300901089.1493054245#/auth/logon

https://basicmedicalcourse.aopa.org/pub/bundles/course_61001/downloads/AOPABasicMed_Pilot_and_Physicians_Guide.pdf

Hard to believe it took so long just to say "get a commercial driver medical"
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: BasicMed Finally Released

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:31 am

My cardiologist has taken flying lessons on and off over the last 14 years and has compiled (done by multiple doctors) a comprehensive medical exam and ready to sign me off. He wants to start up again with me starting May 2nd. Fortunately giving instruction is Teaching for Hire and not Flying For Hire. As per my call to the FAA that continues to be the case. For years I taught without a medical as long as the student could be pilot in command. Now I again can be pilot in command on more than LSA qualified aircraft.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:25 am

[quote="RKittine Now I again can be pilot in command on more than LSA qualified aircraft.

Bob[/quote]

When are you ordering your Amphip Top Cub

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:34 am

Glenn, It will be 1/2 of a Sedan on Straight Floats. Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Like most things the FAA does, they made an Advisory Circular. The AC 68-1 may not be so friendly to read but gives much better facts and references. I always appreciate any aviation conversation that is cold black & white FAR's. A number of times pilots/mechanics have given me information based on third hand or interpreted reading of the FAR. The easiest way to bust a regulation just ask a fellow aviator what you can or can't do.

From the old Dragnet series "Just the facts mam".

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_68-1.pdf

These two items in the rules are a plus and appreciated by me:

AC 68-1 CHAPTER 4. PILOT REQUIREMENTS

4.1 Applicability. The BasicMed privileges apply to persons exercising student, recreational, and private pilot privileges. It also applies to persons exercising flight instructor privileges when acting as pilot in command ( PIC). You cannot use BasicMed privileges to fly as a safety pilot, except when that pilot is acting as PIC.

4.1.1 Pilots exercising BasicMed privileges may act as PIC of an operation conducted under the conditions and limitations set forth in part 61, § 61.113 (i.e., charitable, nonprofit, or community event flights, search and location flights). Persons exercising privileges of a student pilot or recreational pilot certificate must comply with the limitations in §§ 61.89 and 61.101, as applicable, when those limitations conflict with § 61.113(i).
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:28 pm

Thats almost too simple and straight forward. I suppose with an expired ME DL and no information on which MD's are authorized to perform these examinations in Germany, some of us remain firmly planted on the ground...
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:58 am

After I get through next week, I am going to go out and do three or so solo take offs and landings in the planes I still own that are on lease back and that I have only been able to fly with a licensed pilot on board with me,

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to General Discussion