View unanswered postsView unread postsView active topics
Switch to full style
Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...
Post a reply

Wing Strut Camera Mount

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:39 am

I know this has been covered in the past and I have a wing strut mount that I used on my Champ to use my Drift HD Camera, but it is too small for the Sedan Strut, which is 5.057" x 2.143".

This camera takes a different mount that a GoPro.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Bob

P.S. - If anyone needs one for a Champ Strut (Or Chief) I have one.
Attachments
DRIFT HD MOUNT.jpg
This is the mount that I have that fits on a Champ Strut

Re: Wing Strut Camera Mount

Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:29 am

2 worm clamps ( drier hose clamp ) and a 3/4" x 1/8" Alum strap with a bend and a 1/4x28 stud, simple to make. I gave up on a Gopro type because it takes forever to edit footage down to a 3 minute video. I just take stills with my phone now

Put some electrical tape under the clamps

Glenn

Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:34 pm

Thanks Glenn,

I think I can modify this. The problem with the Drift mounts is that they do not have a thread like for a tripod. They have a built in Click Lock piece that goes into and locks into that molded in holder. I think they did it so that you have to buy a mount from them only. I do have an extra one with double back adhesive on it, so I think I could stick it to the aluminum and drill through it and bolt it down. Just not sure if it has enough material on the sides.

Bob

Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:28 am

Played with the parts that I have and I think I can modify Glenn's design for what I need to accomplish. Fortunately there is some perfect thickness aluminum, a shear, brake and tin snips up in the hanger so I can play around. I guess some think rubber can protect the finish on the strut.

Thanks Again Glenn, Bob
Post a reply