Member Support

• Advertisement
SeaBear Aircraft

Manfred Von Richthofen

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

Manfred Von Richthofen

Unread postby KeithSmith » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:00 pm

https://videos.komando.com/watch/8095/ultra-rare-footage-of-the-most-famous-fighter-pilot-ever

This link was just sent to me and it really is quite interesting.
KeithSmith
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Re: Manfred Von Richthofen

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:13 pm

Thanks for posting Keith. Amazing video. With all his layers of uniform and flight suit, he ends up looking more like Goring than Goring does in the quick glimps of him in the video. Guess Herman overate after the First World War!

Bob

P.S. - We have to get Glenn to post some of the videos of his adventures at Rhinebeck.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:44 pm

When I was in Avalon Australia with Rhinebeck back in 03 for Airshows Down Under 100th anniversary of flight we went to the RAAF Point Cook Museum on one of days off. Most don't know that the Aussies infantry shot down the Rad Baron and he crashed and died in their trenches. They then stripped all the souvenirs from the legends plane they could take. While in the Museum we got special treatment and got to hold in our hands 2 parts from Von Richthofen"s plane, a spark plug and the bottom socket from his control stick.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:26 am

The one thing I got reminded of in those videos was, "ground support and team work". The Germans at the time recognized a star fighter pilot and gave him all the team type support they could.

I've worked for an over-the-top personality. The best thing myself and the other pilots could do was hold him up as an Icon. We made good money for a couple years until he forgot that there is no "I" in team. The best aviators always seem to be their own worst enemies. I think the one thing that Manfred should be remembered for: the first aviator that forgot his ground support crew that made it all possible.

I've read a couple books from and on Pappy Boyington. He may have got shot down taken prisoner but he was always grateful for the people that made it all possible. Watch his show "Ba Ba Blacksheep and various documentaries, he gave the ground crew much of his credit for his success. Just like the quarterback needs a good set of linemen to give him the time to find a receiver.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:48 am

I posted this over on the J3 site and posting link to share comments

http://www.j3-cub.com/forum/showthread. ... post310263

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:55 pm

cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby KeithSmith » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:40 pm

I always like to remember that he crashed on his first solo. The lesson to be taken from that is don't let a failure now dissuade you from being a success tomorrow.
KeithSmith
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Return to General Discussion