Member Support

No 172 For The Moment

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

No 172 For The Moment

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:44 pm

Today the nose strut collapsed and the nose tire blew at the same time. (While taxing, not a hard landing) and the prop struck the ground. Cute rolled back tips. So now the insurance inspector will be out on Wednesday and the engine will be getting torn down. At least the insurance coverage includes $1,000 a day toward a rental until it is flying.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: No 172 For The Moment

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:51 am

I prefer the look when the tips fold back, not forward. Ferry permit is in the works though.

Bob
Attachments
NOSE WHEEL ISSUE - CRP RS.jpg
Ops .....
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby chrisbuck243 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:14 am

Bad news...Hate to see that happen but looking on the positive side, at least it happened at a time that didn't put you in quite as much danger as it could have. No good that the plane's down, but maybe you can make use of the insurance premiums that you've been paying and use some of that rental time.
chrisbuck243
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:54 am

Thanks Chris, With the Rental allowance I am thinking of getting some Diamond DA42 time in. Never flown a "Jet Fuel Powered" Piston engine and there are two of these in my area for rent. Had a large nick in the prop that was filed out to match on the other side, so a new prop is a plus. Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:29 pm

So you want us to believe that your greasier landing somehow blew the tire and the nose strut :B.S.: :lol:
Your going to waste $1000 a day rental on a Diamond when your could be on a smoker heading South for some P51 time. Hello!

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:22 pm

Hopefully everything moves right along and you have a fresh firewall forward this spring. I have a friend who is getting his Grumman AA-5 engine overhauled and all the other components cleaned up and painted. He's getting excited about a busy summer flying.

:flying: :flying: :flying: :flying:
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm

OK, First it was a student at the controls and it wasn't a landing at all. It was during taxi. All of a sudden the front tire locked, must have either ground off some of the tread and broke loose, ripping the stem at the tube and the strut collapsed when the plane tried to go forward. Didn't even get a flight in. And, the insurance did not even want to talk to me, at least so far.

I did the P-51 transition training at Cavalier Aviation, outside of Atlanta, Georgia in 1968. Did the DC-3 that year, in Daytona Beach too. Hard to believe that 50 years have gone by from then.

Doing the Diamond will get me a rental checkout in it too. Glass Panel, Auto Feather, single control for prop, mixture and throttle. Looks like fun.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to General Discussion