Member Support

• Advertisement

Glassy Water Touchdown

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

Glassy Water Touchdown

Unread postby zzfriend » Sat May 08, 2010 10:36 pm

Somewhere I read that a good rate of descent for glassy was something "...to 300 fpm." Don't remember where I saw that but I remember thinking _THREE HUNDRED FEET PER MINUTE??!!!_

Whether in the Lake or the Widgeon or the Husky, the magic number for me is 125 fpm. Manifold pressure 16 inches or whatever power it takes to hold approach speed and a steady 125 fpm down is a charm...smooth gentle touchdown and you're on the step.

Then I got to wondering if anybody uses 300 fpm or more. In rough water, at a lower approach speed? Maybe it works, but I'm scared to try it.
zzfriend
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Re: Glassy Water Touchdown

Unread postby keel » Sun May 09, 2010 12:13 am

100-200fpm for me
Steve
keel

Unread postby keel » Sun May 09, 2010 12:27 am

"An accurately set altimeter may be used as an aid in determining height above the glassy water. However, a more effective means is to make the approach and landing near the shoreline so it can be used as a reference for judging height above the water. Another method is to cross the shoreline on final approach at the lowest possible safe altitude so that a height reference is maintained to within a few feet of the water surface. Glassy water landings should always be made power-on, and the need for this type of landing should be recognized in ample time to set up the proper final approach. During the final approach the seaplane should be flown at the best nose-high attitude, using flaps as required or as recommended by the manufacturer. A power setting and pitch attitude should be established that will result in a rate of descent not to exceed 150 feet per minute and at an airspeed approximately 10 knots above stall speed. With a constant power setting and a constant pitch attitude, the airspeed will stabilize, and remain so if no changes are made. The power or pitch should be changed only if the airspeed or rate of descent deviates from that which is desired. Throughout the approach the seaplane performance should be closely monitored by cross-checking the instruments until contact is made with the water. Upon touchdown, back elevator control pressure should be applied as necessary to maintain the same pitch attitude. "
Steve
keel

Unread postby Sticky1 » Sun May 09, 2010 1:02 pm

200 for the seawind
Sticky1
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed May 12, 2010 6:17 pm

I vote for 200 FPM, which is what I use.

I also agree with the Land Reference as stated by others, or what we call in Training the LVR - Last Visual Reference. I try to get my students to pick one about 10 to 12 (Brown's Curr. says 7 Feet - You show me how to determine that even at 55 or 60 MPH) feet above the ground if they can find some open space, or when they come down adjacent to a tree line, half way down the tree to set up there final power on decent. In open water with no reference, start way up or throw something out to use as a target, set up a depth of field reference and brake the water surface.

Cheers - Robert
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to General Discussion