Member Support

• Advertisement
SeaBear Aircraft

Boats and Floats

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

Boats and Floats

Unread postby zzfriend » Sat May 08, 2010 10:57 pm

I'm getting back into float flying after quite a while in flying boats.

I notice that I'm not nearly so concerned about boat wakes on takeoff in the Husky as I am in the Lake or the Widgeon, both of which have turned me every way but loose by wakes.

Am I fooling myself? Anybody found themselves in big trouble in a floatplane takeoff because of boat wakes or rough water?

Also, for rough-water landings in the boats, I dump the flaps on touchdown (yes I'm careful...these are the flaps and this is the gear!) to help them stick. I don't do that in the Husky.
zzfriend
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Re: Boats and Floats

Unread postby Sticky1 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:29 am

I have been setting the flaps before landing and raising them when stoped. Now raising before comming off step upon landing. How do you lake drivers do it...?
Sticky1
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed May 12, 2010 6:25 pm

My friend had a J-4A on floats and on takeoff in Lake George the season before last had the unfortunate luck to have a boat wake across in front of him. Not fast enough to get in the air on one side, the floats caught on the other and over it went. No one was injured, but the plane was a total loss, especially when the state would not allow the owner to flip it over and pull it out, but had the highway department do it.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby hindsbru » Mon May 17, 2010 11:17 pm

zzfriend wrote:I'm getting back into float flying after quite a while in flying boats.

I notice that I'm not nearly so concerned about boat wakes on takeoff in the Husky as I am in the Lake or the Widgeon, both of which have turned me every way but loose by wakes.

Am I fooling myself? Anybody found themselves in big trouble in a floatplane takeoff because of boat wakes or rough water?

Also, for rough-water landings in the boats, I dump the flaps on touchdown (yes I'm careful...these are the flaps and this is the gear!) to help them stick. I don't do that in the Husky.

I know you used to have a bee, but let's go fly off lake Washington one weekend afternoon. I don't think it may have been so much boat vs float but more the aircraft.
Bee Sea n'ya,
Bruce Hinds
Director at SPA and WA-SPA
Seabee Club Newsletter
link to: Washington Seaplane Pilot's Association
hindsbru
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Return to General Discussion