Member Support

• Advertisement

Owl's Head Transportation Museum

Show Your Bird! Share your trip reports. Post Events!

Owl's Head Transportation Museum

Unread postby skimmerone » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:12 pm

It wasn't a seaplane trip, but a Ford Country Squire Trip. However the Museum at the Knox County Airport near Rockland Maine is a great place to visit. Lots of vintage cars and airplanes in a well-laid-out setting. We got to meet a volunteer named Leo Gallant, age 83, who used to mount the wings on Skimmers and Lakes at Sanford Maine and had a great reminisce. He had saved the data plate from Skimmer #1 in his tool box when it was used for the drop tests for the C-2 back in 1957. It was to be done to destruction, but it didn't. He presented it to a friend of mine to give to me over 50 years later.
We also stopped in Sanford to take a photo of the parking lot where the old Colonial factory was up until a couple of years ago. Then out to the airport for a quick bite at the Cockpit Café where the waitress remembered our visit with #1 5 years ago. We also met Ed Guay who worked for Lake in the 1990s who told us his father had also worked there in the parts painting department for a long time. We gave him a history CD to brighten his day. Some rain and lots of wind so glad we didn't fly. It was under 5 hours home via the back roads of southern New Hampshire and the old wagon did way better than 20 miles to the gallon.
skimmerone
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Owl's Head Transportation Museum

Unread postby RKittine » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:54 pm

Nice to hear John. Having spend part of every summer from the time I was 5 until 38, in Kennebunkport, I visited the Sanford location many times.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Rajay » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:17 pm

I'm not sure from reading this thread what one has to do with the other - are they one and the same? (the Owl's Head Transportation Museum and the "one at the Knox County Airport")

And just how active is the Owl's Head museum? I wrote to them a long time ago to inform them that they might have more success selling the Widgeon project that they have listed for sale on their Web site if they were to more properly and accurately identify it as what it really is.

Ref. http://owlshead.org/gallery3/index.php/Barn-Fresh-Aircraft/1964-Grumman-Widgeon-Project

They have it listed as a "1964 Grumman" Widgeon when it is really a 1949 SCAN Type 30 Widgeon (i.e. a French-built copy of a G-44A mfg.'d using metric standards) that was re-assembled and issued a CoA in the US in 1964 under the Grumman TC (which does not make it an actual "Grumman")

Thing is, it may have been sold "already" because its registration changed back in 2008 from the previous owner in NH to a new owner in White Salmon, WA, so then the question becomes "why do they still have it listed as being for sale in ME some 7 years later?" Maybe they are just a little bit slow getting around to updating their Web site content?
Rajay
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:27 pm

Owls Head museum is adjacent to the Knox County Regional airport and well worth the visit. The museum is quite active, most of their business may not originate from the website, though. More than likely they have the usual challenges to keep the site up to date. Volunteers are not as easy to find these days.

Many great people can be met face to face and some of their volunteer staff have great stories to tell. If a plane was given to them as a rebuild project they decided to offload, I'd not be surprised to see it listed with the specs and terms previously disclosed to them. I am sure you know more about some peoples airplanes than those people do themselves, especially with your knowledge and experience with Grumman stuff. I usually refer to you as a walking encyclopedia on these planes, just like John is one on Skimmers.

John, I believe the old hangar that was once at the Sanford Regional airport now lives in Hampden Maine. I have long lost contact but remotely remember inviting you up when still living up the road from Jeremy and spending time with the funky folks there.

If you have any pics from the trip, shoot them my way and I'll put them in your post for you.

Thanks for the writeup!
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:24 am

We are multi-tasking or is it multi Thread Posting - I was responding to John's trip.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:29 am

Not sure. I was responding to Rajays comment followed by a comment to the Skimmer Hangar (Sanford) John referred to in his OP.

:trying:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby skimmerone » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:30 am

Would the airport be Brewer as I can't find one in Hampton? I want to call whomever and see if he can send me a pix of the old hangar from Sanford at its new home.
skimmerone
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:01 pm

Nope, the airport is a private field in Hampden, ME 04444. Located 1334 Carmel Road.
I've sent you the phone number I have on file for him. Full name is also in my PM to you.

Greetings,
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby skimmerone » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:19 pm

Thanks Jason. Got it. Right in your old back yard, eyah.
skimmerone
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:03 pm

Yup. Good old times. Let us know if successful and say hi to Jeremy and family from me. I won't be in the states for quite a while.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:39 am

Owl's Head is a great Museum. In Oct during the WAD flyin we have landed 15 or more Cubs on the grass by the Museum and gotten a tour and then they give us a ride into town for a seafood lunch.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:05 pm

When I see food, I usually eat it. Sounds like a fun day though. (I am actually 33 pounds lighter then when I saw you last Glenn!)

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplane Events, Pictures and Trip Reports/ Travel Logs