Member Support

• Advertisement

Float Flying

Show Your Bird! Share your trip reports. Post Events!

Float Flying

Unread postby Randi Ernst » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:45 am

Hi all, sorry have been out of touch for a bit, lots of things going on including moving from Minnesota to Texas. Did you ever notice how little water and how much green stuff there is when you travel from Minnesota to Texas. :flying:
Thought I would jump back in with some photos of my plane. My sister visited over the weekend along with her fancy camera and photographic eyeballs and took some shots of my Sportsman.

randi
Attachments
plane june 15-8.jpeg
plane june 15-7.jpeg
plane june 15-6.jpeg
plane june 15-5.jpeg
plane june 15-4.jpeg
plane june 15-3.jpeg
plane june 15_2.jpeg
plane june 15_1.jpeg
Randi Ernst
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Re: Float Flying

Unread postby skimmerone » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:43 am

Very Nice. Did you ever live in the Seattle area and own an early Lake?
skimmerone
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby CFII » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Pretty sleek floatplane, how do you like it?
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby Randi Ernst » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:02 pm

Nope, am a floater not a boater, funny how they rarely cross I only know a couple of guys that have jumped back and forth. Mind you I would be boater in a heartbeat for any of the Grumman's, the Widgeon, Goose, Mallard or the dream bird Albatross (drool drool drool).

Most of my Ernst clan was from Minnesota by way of Chicago where the landed after leaving Germany/Poland. My Mom before she left us was into genealogies and told a story of one of my great great great uncles that just walked away from the Minnesota farm one day leaving behind a wife and children and supposedly headed west. Years later when I was out in the Seattle area I noticed a bunch of Ernst's in the area and often wondered if that's where he ended up.

Which also feeds another theory that flying and perhaps water flying specifically, is an obscure defective gene. It seems pilots are related to pilots.

The Sportsman on Montana floats is a sweet floatplane. Overfloated, which I like, and during the build process I was able to tweak things to match my flying style. 180hp carb fixed pitch, spartan and as light as I could make it. A pilot friend built his Sportsman a couple years after mine and went a slightly different route, Clamar composite floats, IO390, MT constant speed, much "plusher" than mine, also a very nice floatplane but different mission profile.

Randi
Randi Ernst
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby Savona » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:09 am

What a beauty.
Savona
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:47 pm

Beautiful
"Still dreaming and hoping to die young at heart with a bar room story that will close the place"
Stevesbrother
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Bill Rusk » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:42 am

Beautiful airplane and excellent photos. Thank you and welcome back.

Bill
Very Blessed.
Bill Rusk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby chrisbuck243 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:14 am

Great looking photos! Glad to see you flying and even better posting about it so those of us who aren't flying can share in the fun. I would love to see you submit any of your photos to http://www.seaplanemagazine.com. I can't imagine it would take very long for one or more of them to be selected as a picture of the week... check out the submission page at http://seaplanemagazine.com/picture-of-the-week/
chrisbuck243
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplane Events, Pictures and Trip Reports/ Travel Logs