Member Support

• Advertisement

Trip to Oshkosh maybe

Show Your Bird! Share your trip reports. Post Events!

Trip to Oshkosh maybe

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:25 pm

There's a couple of us in New England thinking of flying to Oshkosh this year. Any routes or suggestions we're on strait floats. Thanks
"Still dreaming and hoping to die young at heart with a bar room story that will close the place"
Stevesbrother
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Trip to Oshkosh maybe

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:07 am

I did Duluth to Saratoga in a J4/1320. Got gas at Clemets 3CM on the Saginaw River, they will bring a truck down to the river. Not a great spot but worked and they have a loaner car to go get food. I hear that Toledo has fuel inside the seawall? North end of Chautauqua Lk the marina on the NW had efree

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby chrisbuck243 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:15 am

Not exactly helpful advise because it's not coming from New England but Dan Goodman submitted a great article to http://www.seaplanemagazine.com about a trip from Bellingham to Oshkosh on straight floats. Definitely worth a read if your considering the trip.

http://seaplanemagazine.com/2016/03/22/bellingham-oshkosh-straight-floats/
chrisbuck243
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:06 am

Glenn and Chris thanks ! We're still in the early planning stage but I've got 8 weeks off this summer and always wanted to take a floatplane to Oshkosh and then head up to Red Lake and the woodland Caribou area. We will see... Appreciate the help!
"Still dreaming and hoping to die young at heart with a bar room story that will close the place"
Stevesbrother
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jwbaker » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:47 am

If you can carry fuel and can use Mogas, there are a lot of marinas along the way. From Rochester, NY we stop in the Niagara River and put in fuel from the floats, then on to Bay City (they have a ramp and a fuel truck), then to Oshkosh. That way you overfly Canada and don't have to deal with customs, ours.

Jim
jwbaker
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:51 am

Thanks Jim appreciate the info 2 of us can use Mogas. I'm putting float hatches in my 2000 now.
Chris I read that article in Seaplane Magazine.... good read !
Stevesbrother
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jwbaker » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:45 pm

Tell me where you are departing from and what the range is and I can tell you where to stop along the way for fuel through New York and Michigan.

Jim
jwbaker
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:23 am

Hey Jim. ...I'll be departing from Southern NEw Hampshire Lake Potanipo just west of Nashua and I'm figuring 300 mile range. With just what I have in the tanks. Not sure yet what I'll be able to get into floats yet. I putting hatches in EDO 2000 now. Top is still pretty narrow. I have to find right fuel jugs.
Stevesbrother
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jwbaker » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:37 am

I have 2.5 gal. cans (almost 3). I can get 3 ea. in each float hatch on 1500 Baumann's. Along the south shore of Lake Ontario there are a lot of marinas to get 91 ethanol free. Sodus Bay, Port Bay, Fairhaven, etc. The Niagara River by Lewiston is a good stop to add fuel from the floats since the current is slow and there are moorings to hook up to. They probably have gas too. Overfly Canada to Bay City, then to Oshkosh. I may go this year myself. Maybe we could meet up and fly along. 92-95 mph with my Tcraft now on Baumann amphibs.

Jim
jwbaker
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:17 pm

Jim thanks for the info that would be great . As we get closer and figure plans I'll keep you posted. Look forward to meeting. Just saw where the Mars Martin water bomber is going to be at Oshkosh this year too.
Stevesbrother
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplane Events, Pictures and Trip Reports/ Travel Logs