Member Support

• Advertisement

Midnight Sun fly in July 6-9

Show Your Bird! Share your trip reports. Post Events!

Midnight Sun fly in July 6-9

Unread postby gear » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:28 pm

This years Midnight sun fly in is July 6-9 in Yellowknife, NWT, Canada. This will be my fourth one attending and it's a great trip. The scenery on route is unmatched. They only do this every two years and I really look forward to it. We'll be heading up from Winnipeg with 3-4 planes and hope to see some of you there.

Garth

http://www.midnightsunflyin.com
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Midnight Sun fly in July 6-9

Unread postby KlausNW » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:01 am

The other day a couple of us down south here in Juneau were remembering our summers in Fairbanks. Everyone should experience two weeks of no nights. I remember getting so tired, but so much was going on. I would pass out for two or three hours in the front seat of my truck then get up and get back at it. We would be water skiing and squinting because the sun was on the horizon at 3am.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BGH » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:55 pm

Diane & I were hoping to make the trip from the left coast,would of been my second trip on webbed feet,first trip was on wheels in the late 90's.
Unfortunately Diane couldn't get the time off,the amphibs aren't installed on the 185 & I just had my right hand repaired by surgery so I'm off work for a bit thus stopping the cash flow.
Last time for me was 2003,had a great time.Got into back bay at 2am & Kirby brought us refreshments & then dropped us at our accomadations.
safe travels.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BGH » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:03 pm

Garth is your route planning a fuel stop at LaRonge or Lyn Lake?

Just curious.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby gear » Mon May 01, 2017 11:00 pm

BGH wrote:Garth is your route planning a fuel stop at LaRonge or Lyn Lake?

Just curious.

Daryl

I've been through La Ronge, as well as Flin Flon. Problems with La Ronge is that it is big water. You need to watch if south wind. There are some islands to tuck in behind for shelter, but also some rocks to watch for. The facility at Flin Flon is nice. The next stop is Uranium City which is decent although you should call ahead. When you ge there, you buzz the town and thats the call to get them to drive down to the dock to turn the pump on. You then go back with them in their vehicle to run your credit card, then they run you back to the plane. Not a big deal, just all part of the experience.

Last trip, we went through Thompson then up to Casba Lake in the territories. In Casba, fuel was $3.50 / litre or around $14 / gallon :shock:

This summer will be my fourth trip there - always look forward to it.

Garth
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby gear » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Sorry - haven't been around for a while - been preoccupied in selling my business.

Less than two weeks now till the trip. Heading out July 4 6 am (the neighbors don't exactly like those 6 am take offs). Traveling up to Flin Flin on the first leg, then Uranium City, then to Plummbers Lodge on Great Slave lake for some lake trout fishing for a few days. Then on the 6th over to Yellowknife for the fly in and then back home on the 10th. Looking forward to the trip! Would be nice to see some of you on the site up there at the fly in.

Garth
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplane Events, Pictures and Trip Reports/ Travel Logs