View unanswered postsView unread postsView active topics
Switch to full style
Show Your Bird! Share your trip reports. Post Events!
Post a reply

Re: North East winter Fun 17/18

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:54 pm

RKittine wrote:Glenn, Do you have the same issue with Clear Ice as with Glassy Water?

I have been using that same mouse trap in my hangers and at home in the garage for year. Works great.

Nice pictures as usual.

Bob

Flat light on overcast days and it's as bad as glassy water on snow, not as bad on ice unless it's covered in water

Glenn

Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:20 am

Thanks for the insight.

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:13 pm

Sat Feb 3 Saranac Lake Ice Castle

I just checked with the official FAA bait shop up in Saranac Lake getting an ice/snow report. Ice is good and now has a couple inches of snow on it so should have better control then the rock hard clear ice we had last weekend. I think skis or wheels with 8.50 or bigger tires will be fine everyplace we go?
Plan is breakfast at Speculator at 9am. Lake run North to Saranac Lake and ice castle then either Raquette Lk on the boat for lunch where they have 91 efree gas or Long lake at the ADK Hotel.
My scouts are up at Saranac right now checking conditions, 2" of powder on ice

Glenn

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:32 am

Nice map Glenn. The 172 is in the hospital and had too small tires in any case.

Bob

Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:51 pm

Gosh.

Mr. Jeppesen (my former Senior Boss, I never got to meet) would have been drooling on this chart!

I am damn serious. This chart is just about anything you need... if you happen to know where this lake may be...

:lol:

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:20 pm

Speculator

Saranac lk, some marginal vfr to get here :shock:

Tupper Lk

Raquett lk

Black Creek lk

Some serious beer drinkers

Great day with friends

Glenn

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:55 am

I have seen some interesting things done with beer can tabs Glenn. Looks like it was a great day.

Bob

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:09 pm

Had a 132mph GS at one point and vis got down to half a mile sometimes snowing so hard but awesome day with the spousal unit and some good friends

Glenn

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:14 pm

How did you know Glenn? Thought you didn't use any of the new fangled electronic stuff!

Bob

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:44 pm

Some days I cheat

Glenn

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:58 pm

:beer:

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:17 pm

We tried to get to saphouse, Misty and heavy snow. Took 4 tries to get off and hit rain half way there.

We drove over

Sprinkles most of the day at 33F. Wife and I went for a drive after breakfast and we went to a couple place we fly over. I re discovered how much fun this is to do in a car again

Amish lumber yard. Impressive place

Amish grocery store

How often you get to see 5 handsome mules. You think starting your snowblower is tough, how'd you like to get this engine together and started going in the right direction?

Most of the Amish around here moved up from Kentucky and Maryland, most of the kids discovered how much fun the cold brings. They love hockey

Amish DWI, horse refused a breath test, he was chewing on a cherry tree before the vet got there :-( kidding, they we're ice fishing on my float pond

Fun day

Glenn

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:50 pm

Had a lot of interaction with Amish and Menonites when Debbie and I were selling the farm in Ohio and when I lived in Nashville.

Bob

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Nice evening for a ride

Glenn

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:55 pm

Where are the wings?

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:35 pm

RKittine wrote:Where are the wings?

As long as it stays cold I'm happy, warmer today. Hoping for another 30 - 40.days below zero or more.

Glenn

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 am

Raining here again. We have only had two decent snows on Long Island this season. Of course we are much farther south and nearer the water which I a big heat sink. Skiing was not good and it was not even that good in Utah and Colorado.

Don and I will be doing some work on the Sedan in late March and I will get a few hours in it on wheels and then our plane is to have it ready to go in the water by April first and to put it in as soon as the weather and water table are OK.

Bob

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:24 pm

I think your behind a few other airplanes that don't come out till may? Bob doesn't like to remove the post till end of April

Glenn

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Glenn, It was my understanding that it was on Wheels and at Argyle and not at Island Bob's but I could be wrong.

Bob

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:43 pm

I think your right

Glenn

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:52 am

Don's in Europe and I will not call, You Know Who, but I will get it confirmed when Don is back. Don has a hanger at Argyle and one at Round Lake, so it could also be there.

Bob

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:09 pm

Speculator Saturday morning

Rough is an understatement.

My homemade space blanket engine cover works is a charm, only lost 10* over a 1.5 hr at 20f

Fits in a Ziploc bag

Then on to Raquette lk

Webcam shot while we were inside

Then on to Twitches lk where we ended up with 17 airplanes from 4 states

Three of us spent the night

We got a fire going then walked a half mile to the West end and Dave's wife picked us up and took us to the Glenmoore in for dinner

[URL=http://s774.photobucket.com/user/cubdriver2/media/IM

After dinner we had to walk back across the lake but stopped at one of the other camps that was lighted and shared libations and there warm fireplace. Then back out into the snowy walk to the cabin

We had a 3" of snow to clean off this morning before flying off to the Stillwater inn for breakfast

Awesome weekend with a great group of friends

Glenn

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:56 pm

What a great trip ..........

Bob

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:13 pm

One of my friends made this from some of our Saturday fun

https://youtu.be/DUHp745iQIo

Glenn