Member Support

Introduce Yourself !

Waterflying People - Introduce Yourself!

Re: New Guy Intro

Unread postby Bill Rusk » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:24 pm

Steve

Good to hear from you. I think we did meet at the FBO. Lord willing the B model will be better than the A model. I remember someone once saying "never fly the A model of anything" thus the next one will be the B model. Perhaps I should have just named the last one the B model and skipped the A part all together.

Without belaboring the whole mess....

In a nutshell the aircraft flipped in the Clark Fork river in Montana enroute to Alaska. I got out OK but the aircraft was lost down stream. Totally lost, as in no salvage, as in gone, twilight zone, disappeared, zip, zero, nada, nothing.

I was fooling around with video and editing a little so here are a couple of links to some of the stuff I did while learning. I was hoping to put something together from the trip for my friends and family and to remember the trip from for me, so I was working on the photography, videography and all that. These are not great, they were test and learning projects, but they have floatplanes in em so if you are like me you will watch anything with a floatplane in it.

Getting the floats on and some tests and w/audio, overdubbing, slideshow linked to video, etc

This is an outside clip (unedited) shot by a good friend of the take off for Alaska

Hope this is of some value to someone

Bill
PS
There are a few other videos on youtube that can be found here http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... usk57&aq=f
Very Blessed.
Bill Rusk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Introduce Yourself !

Unread postby L-19 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:59 pm

Really nice video Bill, enjoyed it. Sorry to hear about your accident.
L-19
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Re: New Guy Intro

Unread postby Paul S » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Bill Rusk wrote:Steve

I was fooling around with video...Getting the floats on and some tests and w/audio, overdubbing, slideshow linked to video, etcHope this is of some value to someone

Bill

Awesome videos. Welcome aboard!!!

Paul S
Paul S
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby Steve Riggins » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:59 am

Great video's, it is interesting to see other's planes in action. Were you basing the plane somewhere nearby in Wisconsin when on floats? I know there are lots of lakes to the north of you.

Cubs are wonderful planes and seem to do everything well. Hope you get another quickly, so you can get flying again.

Steve
Steve Riggins
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby jallenjet » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Hey guys, I meant to introduce myself on here earlier....now I'm getting to it.
To start off my name is Josh, I currently live down in Plymouth, MA flying a few King Air's around the Northeast...It's been pretty slow on my end so I recently started some float lessons over at Twitchell's. I've been around aviation for quite a while, started working at Twitchells when I was 14 or 15, painted hangars for flt lessons etc...Been flying ever since. Anyway, I look forward to reading a bunch on here and hopefully will meet a few of you guys up in Maine. Take care!
jallenjet
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby Acadian » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:24 pm

Hello! I'm Keith Deschambeault. I own and operate Acadian Seaplanes based in Rangeley Maine. I operate as a part 135 Air Taxi flying a 1978 Cessna 180K on floats, wheels and skis. Float flying takes me all over New England. I do a lot of coastal flying between Bar Harbor, Maine to as far as New York City. My seaplane base is open to anyone. Based in town within walking distance of numerous restaurants and hotels. 100LL is available, parking available at our dock or on our small beach. Identifier is M57 (Rangeley Lake Seaplane Base). I can be contacted at (207) 864-5307 or Keith@acadianseaplanes.com Hope to meet many of you in the future.

A short video of N272SC flying for LL Bean
Acadian
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby Clair » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Hello, Josh. Hello, Keith. Welcome to the forum. :)
Clair

Unread postby ZPilot » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:07 am

wow nice!

Keith-
I might have to pick your mind about your 135 operation. I hope to start my own 135 one day. Welcome to the forums.

Please check out my thread concerning pt135: http://seaplaneforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=605&p=4254#p4254
ZPilot

Unread postby FLINNFLOAT » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:17 am

Good morning, everyone. I guess I am the newest member of this forum, having just joined and been approved, even though I am not a seaplane pilot. I learned to fly back about 1957 after the bug bit with an intro flight in a USAF Navion, while in college. I obtained my Private Pilot certificate, and bought my first plane, a Bonanza, which I sort of used in business. As time went on, I acquired MEL and instrument ratings, and have owned some other planes, including a Twin Comanche and a Beech Baron. My last plane was a Montana Coyote kit, which I started but never finished. Somewhere along the line, I managed to get in 4.3 hours of floatplane instruction one year at Oshkosh, but I never finished the rating. Now, due mainly to the press of other things on my time, I haven't flown anything for several years. I still love airplanes and this year will be my 23rd at Oshkosh, I believe. While I like to see what is going on at the main base, I spend a lot of time at the Seaplane Base. This year, I will be volunteering as Point Controller on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so maybe I'll be flagging some of you in and out. This will be by umpteenth year volunteering there, and at least the fourth or fifth as Point Controller. When I'm not working, I like to wander around taking pictures, so you might end up in my lens, too. Hope to meet some of you there.
FLINNFLOAT
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby Clair » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:52 am

Welcome to the forum, Flinnfloat! :) Hope to see some of your pictures sometime soon.
Clair

Unread postby FloatDude » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:59 am

FLINNFLOAT wrote:Good morning, everyone. I guess I am the newest member of this forum, having just joined and been approved, even though I am not a seaplane pilot. I learned to fly back about 1957 after the bug bit with an intro flight in a USAF Navion, while in college. I obtained my Private Pilot certificate, and bought my first plane, a Bonanza, which I sort of used in business. As time went on, I acquired MEL and instrument ratings, and have owned some other planes, including a Twin Comanche and a Beech Baron. My last plane was a Montana Coyote kit, which I started but never finished. Somewhere along the line, I managed to get in 4.3 hours of floatplane instruction one year at Oshkosh, but I never finished the rating. Now, due mainly to the press of other things on my time, I haven't flown anything for several years. I still love airplanes and this year will be my 23rd at Oshkosh, I believe. While I like to see what is going on at the main base, I spend a lot of time at the Seaplane Base. This year, I will be volunteering as Point Controller on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so maybe I'll be flagging some of you in and out. This will be by umpteenth year volunteering there, and at least the fourth or fifth as Point Controller. When I'm not working, I like to wander around taking pictures, so you might end up in my lens, too. Hope to meet some of you there.

Hey welcome FINNFLOAT show some pics and say hi to the peoples meeting on monday night!
FloatDude
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby ZPilot » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:50 pm

FLINNFLOAT-

Welcome to the community!
Be sure to check out the "Lets meet up at OSHKOSH!!!" thread.

ZP
ZPilot

Unread postby LAKE18NB » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Hello. My name is Travis Booher out of missoula/flathead lake Montana. I am a brand new pilot with just over 200hrs and caught the seaplane bug right away! I am VERY fortunate to have a father who has handed down the reigns of his 75' Lake LA-4-200 to me last year. I got my SES last fall and have since put just over 65 hrs on the water.

I am also very fortunate to have a wife who has caught the aviation bug and loves to video most of our flights. You can see our latest flight in the amphib on her blog..
http://406aviatrix.wordpress.com/
LAKE18NB
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby Pilotjpw1 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:52 pm

Wow Travis, That is perfect country for that plane.

I went to school U of MT, it's sure pretty country for outdoors stuff. I watched your vid's cause i may bring my 182 amphib out there next summer. Looks like some good flying for floats around there when the weather cooperates.

So tell us some of your favorite spots around northern Mt. to use the float plane. I was thinking of renting a house for the summer somewhere on the water. Any idea's for that?

Jim
Pilotjpw1
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby LAKE18NB » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:22 pm

Jim,

Most of my time has been on Flathead with a couple splash and goes on a few small lakes in the Sealey/Swan valley. It is beautiful up here but I did fall in love with Northern Idaho (where I did my training and checkride), the panhandle is full of waterways and very seaplane friendly with a couple of nice resorts that cater to seaplanes.

Let me know if you were interested in any specific lakes and I will give you more info.
LAKE18NB
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby ZPilot » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:19 pm

Welcome to the forums LAKE18NB!

I look forward to getting to know you over here. You're so lucky you were "handed the reins" of that beautiful Lake aircraft.

...now I am am off to check out your blog!
ZPilot

Unread postby L-19 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Welcome Travis.

Jim, I'd 2nd the Seeley Lake idea. I've only been there snowmobiling in the winter, but it's beautiful country for sure! I think there's a seaplane base there & an airport. We had a lot of fun there & I bet you'd be able to find a cabin to rent. I think we were at 4000' in town & rode up from there.
L-19
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby Pilotjpw1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:36 pm

L-19 wrote:Welcome Travis.

Jim, I'd 2nd the Seeley Lake idea. I've only been there snowmobiling in the winter, but it's beautiful country for sure! I think there's a seaplane base there & an airport. We had a lot of fun there & I bet you'd be able to find a cabin to rent. I think we were at 4000' in town & rode up from there.

I am sure that is great snowmobiling.
I did google Seeley up couple weeks ago. There seem to be alot of lakes to choose from. It probably is a good choice except my wife would probably want a little more like Whitefish or something like that.

It looks like in those video's you have a real cool spot to park the amphib's.
Pilotjpw1
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby jplantz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi, Jeff and Patty, live in Wi. volunteer at the Oshkosh Seabase. Pilots for 20 years, currently fly a 1947 Bellanca CruiseAir, owned Kitfoxes,
172's, and ultralights. We now are 7 years into a building project, WagAero 2+2 fuselage.
SmithSuperCubs wings, Czech 1900 amphibs, Superior IO360, MT CS prop.........hope to finish in a year or so.
Have a SES and a few hours on straight floats with Brian @ SeaPlane Adventures At Surfside in MN.

So we are ready for the next bit of fun and adventures to begin. Patty needs a SES. I need much more time/instruction.
And we need to figure out this insurance thing. So any info. is much appreciated. Thanks
jplantz
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby ZPilot » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:51 am

Welcome JPlantz!

I am trying to figure out the insurance thing as well. First, however, I am saving up for a down-payment on my first seaplane.
I look forward to chatting with ya!
ZPilot

Unread postby Cozy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:44 am

Hi,

my name is Sandro. I'm from Tirol at Austria in Europe and at the moment i am a gliding-pilot. But i like seaplane totally and i hope i become a chance to fly with such airplane ;). I want to make the motorflying-license but it's very expensice :( . I also have a website but all textes on this site are in german but i will be happy, when you are looking on this and write an commentar on my guestbook (at german: Gästebuch). Website-Adress: www.cozy-tirol.at
So i don't know, what i can already write. Ask me, when you want to know something about me ;)

Sandro
Cozy
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby americanflyyer » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:05 am

Howdy Sandro,
wilkommen bei den Wasserfliegern. Nettes Flugzeug habt ihr da, sieht ein bisschen aus wie die Long-EZ von Burt Rutan.
Hast du schon mal überlegt, deinen Motorflieger Schein in den Staaten zu machen? Kostet weniger, geht schneller und ist ein tolles Erlebnis. Wenn du interesse hast, kann ich dir per PM oder e-mail Infos zukommen lassen.

Cheers,
Joachim
americanflyyer
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby Zeitners » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:02 pm

Welcome to the forum, Sandro (herzlich willkommen!) It should be fun to kauderwelsch (translation in the dictionary is "gibberish") in both languages... :lol:
We just came back from a vacation in Austria, near Zell am See, many gliders!, but we stayed up in the mountain above the Salzach valley.
Otto and Inge
Zeitners
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby Seaplane 1 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:19 pm

Welcome Katana1 to the forum!
Abdul Achmed Achmachal
New Forum Administrator
Seaplane 1
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby First Coast » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:49 pm

Sandro, welcome. You must live in Innsbruck? I was there in June 2002 for the Elton John concert at the Olympic Stadium. What a beautiful area. (I lived in Italy at the time)
First Coast
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

PreviousNext

Return to Seaplane Pilots Welcome & Introductions + NOTAM's